I'm having trouble understanding the Scales,Root notes, etc. Can someone please help me by explaining all this and showing some examples in a simple/easy way to understand.

I've been playing my alto saxophone at school reading notes, scales, etc but I never really got into all the theory and such cause it's so boring and I just like to play. I kinda regret this cause now I realize how important the theory is and how it can affect your playing.

So can someone please help me get better with my guitar please? I've been just reading TABS and not having the time to actually "Practice" and more like fooling around.

Thank guys!
this is in guitar techniques forum but you want saxophone help?
Quote by cainmd

He didn't ask for saxophone help.

On topic, could you elaborate more on what you are confused with?

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by cainmd

Did you actually read his post?

On topic: You already identified the problem. You said that your just read tabs and don't sit down and practice, so I would recommend putting the tabs aside for a little bit and use the lesson section here at UG and do your scales and what not.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
The root note is basically the note that the whole scale revolves around, the "main" or "key" note in the scale, if you will. The scale is just a group of intervals. Certain groups (certain scales) produce certain emotional effect and set a certain tone.
its difficult to get a right feeling of what scales and chords are just on guitar or sax.
piano is a great thing to learn theory
just a couple of lessons will make it much clearer. cos on piano u always see the note you are playing. for learning intervals i prefer guitar
Sorry, I meant guitar, when I refered to my sax, I meant that when I was in school. I have a question thought and thanks for all the answers. Would learning the scales help me make my own songs? As in Ear songs (Dont know whats its called) where you hear a song and you write a song with your Ear. Will the scales make it more easier to write the songs by using the selceted notes from ONE scale or would I have to use other scales and learn them as well.
Read these....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=Crusade&w=columns

Start with number 1, and don't move to the next article until you've fully understood and absorbed the previous one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Intercrew
Sorry, I meant guitar, when I refered to my sax, I meant that when I was in school. I have a question thought and thanks for all the answers. Would learning the scales help me make my own songs? As in Ear songs (Dont know whats its called) where you hear a song and you write a song with your Ear. Will the scales make it more easier to write the songs by using the selceted notes from ONE scale or would I have to use other scales and learn them as well.
If you know scales and how to harmonise them you immediately have a selection of chords and notes that WILL work together, so yes it helps when you want to write your own songs. You don't have to stick within a scale though - if it sounds good it is good. But scales definitely help hugely imo