I'm more than likely buying a B-52 AT-112 next month, and I'm planning to build a cab for it sometime (maybe next summer or during winter break, but definitely sometime). I see that it comes with "Parallel Speaker Output", which is somewhat confusing. Does that mean that if the selector switch is set to say, 4 ohms, I can connect two 8 ohm cabs safely? So if I set the switch to 16 ohms that means I can have eight 4 ohm cabs in series connected to each one of the two outputs on the amp? I don't think I would do that, but I'm just trying to illustrate my question. Maybe someday when I have time and spare money, I might try it just for kicks (I know it doesn't increase theoretical volume or anything, but it would be cool to have a wall of speakers hehehe).

Another question involving individual wattage of the speakers in the cabs... say I am going to build a 2x12 cab for the AT-112, which is 60W. Should each individual speaker be 60W each, or should they be 30W each (so the whole cab is 60W)?? I read somewhere in a bass forum that underpowering cabs shouldn't be done (the example they cited was plugging a 500W amp to a 1000W total 4x15 cab).. I'm not sure I understand what that's supposed to mean..

Thanks!
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Lekz
I'm more than likely buying a B-52 AT-112 next month, and I'm planning to build a cab for it sometime (maybe next summer or during winter break, but definitely sometime). I see that it comes with "Parallel Speaker Output", which is somewhat confusing. Does that mean that if the selector switch is set to say, 4 ohms, I can connect two 8 ohm cabs safely?
yes, exactly.

Quote by Lekz
So if I set the switch to 16 ohms that means I can have eight 4 ohm cabs in series connected to each one of the two outputs on the amp? I don't think I would do that, but I'm just trying to illustrate my question. Maybe someday when I have time and spare money, I might try it just for kicks (I know it doesn't increase theoretical volume or anything, but it would be cool to have a wall of speakers hehehe).
Silly, but yes.

Quote by Lekz
Another question involving individual wattage of the speakers in the cabs... say I am going to build a 2x12 cab for the AT-112, which is 60W. Should each individual speaker be 60W each, or should they be 30W each (so the whole cab is 60W)?? I read somewhere in a bass forum that underpowering cabs shouldn't be done (the example they cited was plugging a 500W amp to a 1000W total 4x15 cab).. I'm not sure I understand what that's supposed to mean..

Thanks!
The concept of "underpowering" cabs is just plain silly.

The power rating of the speaker indicates how much power it can safely handle. More IS better, if all other things are equal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks! I guess the thread is over here

I always thought the higher the power rating of the speaker, the better, but the forum where I read it at (I don't remember the page, I was just googling stuff when I found it) gave underpowering some importance.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5