Basically i really need to learn all the notes on the fretboard, im quite an advanced player however when it comes to theory and even the basics of it that is where i fall down. I know all the notes on the E strings and the A, its just learning the others and bumping up my theory knowledge which is a problem

Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks!
Hmm... maybe thinking in octaves... 5th fret on the E string is an A tone, and thus so is the 7th fret on the D string, and thus so is the 10th fret on the B string.

If you would take the 3 freth on the E strin(G) you would get the same with 5th fret on D and 8th on the B..

Well... you get the idea
scales, actually look at the notes of a scale

G Major for Example (G A B C D E F# G). Instead of starting at any G and doing the Whole/Half step routine, actaually look at these notes and then work it out. Do this with enough scales all over the fretboard and you'll get. I am in the process of doing this right now. I have gone from knowing notes up until the 5th fret and now i know them right down until the 12th fret and have a half decent knowledge after that point

hope this helps
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Well you have three strings out of the way, so just try to think of the other strings relative to the ones you know? I don't have them memorized myself, but I usually move 5 frets up or down on the next string over and figure out the note like that. Not sure if that makes sense to you. It's not exactly efficient, but I figure if I do it enough I'll eventually commit it to memory.
Quote by baylewis
scales, actually look at the notes of a scale

G Major for Example (G A B C D E F# G). Instead of starting at any G and doing the Whole/Half step routine, actaually look at these notes and then work it out. Do this with enough scales all over the fretboard and you'll get. I am in the process of doing this right now. I have gone from knowing notes up until the 5th fret and now i know them right down until the 12th fret and have a half decent knowledge after that point

hope this helps

once you learn up to the 12th fret in just repeats dude, and yes this would be a good idea
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
i honestly made flash cards with G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, etc. on one side and G#, A, A#, B on the other for every string and just shuffled them up, picked on and made myself think of which note it was. do that everyday for a week or so and you will start to get better. there are probably others but that worked for me.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by 3hta_bryce
once you learn up to the 12th fret in just repeats dude, and yes this would be a good idea

yeah i sorta half knew that, just sounded good in my post
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by Al soulfracture
Basically i really need to learn all the notes on the fretboard, im quite an advanced player however when it comes to theory and even the basics of it that is where i fall down. I know all the notes on the E strings and the A, its just learning the others and bumping up my theory knowledge which is a problem

Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks!

Learn to read standard notation in all positions. It's not a shortcut, but it's a great way to get an in depth, meaningful understanding of the fret-board and music in general.

The shortcuts mentioned are definitely helpful as well.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by metalzeppelin
i honestly made flash cards with G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, etc. on one side and G#, A, A#, B on the other for every string and just shuffled them up, picked on and made myself think of which note it was. do that everyday for a week or so and you will start to get better. there are probably others but that worked for me.
Making flashcards never occurred to me. I'm probably not gonna do it cuz it sounds like it takes too much effort to make, but a solid idea nonetheless!