i recently upgraded to a epiphone sg 400 from a squire strat but i have a big problem

when ever i strumming it sounds awful i really dont understand whats going on
i mean, the guy who sold it to me at guitar center tested it and it sounded really good.
it's not the guitar is there some technique to strumming a gibson? i know that sounds dumb but i figure i can't do it because the strings are closer to the pick guard on a strat then the gibson meaning my pick get stuck in the strings. could that be the case?
Is it tuned? There isn't any different 'technique' to playing an SG shape guitar.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
adjust the action so it's lower or "closer to the pick guard"

edit: what kind of awful sound does it make?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Jul 23, 2009,
Most likley your Amp.
Did you test with your amp or another amp?

Usually guitar playing is the same for all guitars. =]
GEAR
Guitars
Yamaha RGS-121
IBANEZ GIO GAX30
Sound
ACQUIRING AMP
Boss ME-6 multi-effects
Boss DS-1

New things are in order.
is it tuned?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by buddyboombotz
Play guitar more.

I'm not exactly a pro but I can get them to sound decent on the squire atleast.
what do you mean it sounds awful? is there a lot of fret buzz? Is it out of tune? Is it in tune but when you play a chord it sounds out of tune? if thats the case you gotta take it back and get it fixed, do you have a warranty on it?
Quote by Koshman32
adjust the action so it's lower or "closer to the pick guard"

edit: what kind of awful sound does it make?

I was thinking of doing that but I'm not exactly if It'll be able to go that low.
Before it starts touching the frets.

Um, it's kind of hard to explain. it's like they're being hit super hard that it doesn't even come out right.... I'm not hitting them hard, either.
Quote by RAAAGE
I'm not exactly a pro but I can get them to sound decent on the squire atleast.

It's just that it's a different guitar. I know what you're saying. Squires feel "lighter" when you play. You could get a different gauge of string or you could keep playing on the SG and get used to it. Your hand will get stronger. And make sure your individual fingers are down enough to make the note each should be playing.
Last edited by buddyboombotz at Jul 23, 2009,
On most SG's I have tried, the strings are closer to the neck which means you have to fret them lighter then you would a normal guitar... That still shouldn't make an awful sound, unless it sounds out of tune, in that case just adjust the action. It really shouldn't be intonation, but check it anyways. Tune it again. If none of the above work I guess try new strings. If it still sounds bad take it back to GC and demand them to fix it.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
On most SG's I have tried, the strings are closer to the neck which means you have to fret them lighter then you would a normal guitar... That still shouldn't make an awful sound, unless it sounds out of tune, in that case just adjust the action. It really shouldn't be intonation, but check it anyways. Tune it again. If none of the above work I guess try new strings. If it still sounds bad take it back to GC and demand them to fix it.

Also, I've played an SG once so I really don't know how they feel. So listen to this guy.