Hey everyone,

I'm 18 and playing guitar a little over 1 month.With an average of 3-4hours a day.

I've learning with this ebook called jamorama(with video's and jam-alongs),I learned A,C,D,E,F,G(major,minor and dom 7th),B7,C scale,A-Dsus,F-C major 7th.

I will finish this ebook within a month or 2 normally but my problem is I don't really know where I'm going with this.

I listen to pop punk,here is a list:All American rejects,American Hi-Fi,Blink 182(they are awesome),+44,Cauterize, Eve6,Good Charlotte,Green Day,Jimmy eats worl,New Found Glory,SR-71,Sugarcult,Sum41,Yellowcard,Zebrahead.

I made a goal for myself and that is playing in a band,covers and maybe if I get good at it make some own stuff.

I want to get good at this as fast as possible so I can start a band(don't know how long it will take till I'll reach that level)

You don't have to be a guitar virtuoso I guess to be able to play and compose the music I want,but what should I focus on to reach my goals.Or am I wrong and should I just absorb everything I can about guitar?
That's really important I guess to keep me motivated in the future.

I have 3-5 hours available each day.
Well, you seem to be on the right track. You've learned much more than I have in that amount of time you've been playing. The trick is using theory, not just knowing. Try to start improvising when you play a song. I don't know how you practice, but some of the best players get where they are by doing what you are.
Last edited by buddyboombotz at Jul 23, 2009,
justinguitar.com =) im playing guitar for a week:P and its helping me a lot=) im following his free online guitar beginner course and for just a week I learnt the D,E,A chords and I can make about 30 chord changes per minute, and play some songs there=)
Last edited by Bstar-L at Jul 23, 2009,
dedication- a consistent practice daily will get you far, as long you don't procasinate too much (can't say the same for myself or most of the ug's here)

theory- pretty much keep doing what your doing, find a suitable teacher and follow buddy's advice

I know your into pop punk, however don't hesitate to listen to other genres and guitar styles

ex: jazz,classical, flamenco guitar, prog, etc.

also I would HIGHLY recommend if you haven't done so, start learning piano. A basic understanding will go a long way (you do not need to spend 3-4 hours a day on it, try 20 to 30 minutes. Learn some songs, scales, chords and do some entry level sight reading).
Last edited by FallenSaint at Jul 23, 2009,
aim to play a song all the way through, i just learned american idiot (green day) all the way through and its such a good feeling once you complete it. i really need to start working on my theory though =(
Ok hopefully I'm doing good now.
I start to understand why some people say you need to practice 10,000hours to master the guitar.
But for example bands like Blink 182 or Greenday,aren't using advanced guitar techniques or something,so how do they got where they are now?
It's a stupid question I know but I've been thinking about it since I've started guitar.
I think no matter what you do, you have to keep your playing FUN or else you'll lose motivation. I tried setting a time each day to play and working on scales etc etc but it wasn't any fun. What got me going was that I learned enough to be able to play some tabs of my favorite bands on this site. Green Day/ Blink 182 are perfect examples of the fact that you don't need to be a virtuoso to make fun music and have fun doing it. So I think if you know enough to play at least parts of your favorite songs, run with it! You'll be improving before you know it because you'll be enjoying yourself.
Quote by FlyingStar
Ok hopefully I'm doing good now.

But for example bands like Blink 182 or Greenday,aren't using advanced guitar techniques or something,so how do they got where they are now?

It's all about the songs, guitar is just an instrument. Used properly, and in conjunction with other instruments, you create music. Used improperly it's just noise.

You don't need great technique to create good music.

If your goal is to play in a band, find the other band members sooner rather than later. If you find a bass player and a drummer that are at the same stage as you, with the same drive and motivation, you can all grow together. You'll also be amazed at how quickly you progress once you start playing with others.
Quote by buttknuckle
It's all about the songs, guitar is just an instrument. Used properly, and in conjunction with other instruments, you create music. Used improperly it's just noise.

You don't need great technique to create good music.

If your goal is to play in a band, find the other band members sooner rather than later. If you find a bass player and a drummer that are at the same stage as you, with the same drive and motivation, you can all grow together. You'll also be amazed at how quickly you progress once you start playing with others.

Yes but my problem is I want to be good at what I do.I'm 18 now and I don't know when I should start a band?

It's stupid but I'm setting goals like practice 1000hours before februari and stuff,I know it's not good but it's the only thing I can measure my skills.
Goals are great because they keep you focused and headed in the right direction.

It is never to early to start a band. NEVER

If you practice you will get good at what you do...it just takes a little time. You've only been playing a month or so so you have a ways to go. Me and others have been playing for over a decade and I still don't know everything. Just be patients and practice your fingers off and you will get good.
Man you're right I'm going to do that,start a band even if it will take some time til were good.

My problem actually isn't that it's to early or I'm not going to practice my fingers off,it was actually that the moment I will be good at playing those song it will be too late to start a band.