So I own a 1999 dodge intrepid. Well its run fine for months now but a day or two ago it suddenly decides it doesnt want to have electricity anymore. I have no electricity in my car at all at this point my power locks dont even work. I can jump start it with another car and it starts right up but it sounds weak. Then it dies shortly after you disconnect the jumper cables. At this point im thinking either alternator or battery, leaning more towards alternator. What do you guys think?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yes i think so.

Edit:- i should add i know nothing about vehicles whatsoever.
try changing the battery, if that doesn't work it's the alternator.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Try the battery first, if that doesn't work, your alternator isn't holding the charge.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
it sounds like your transmission might have fallen out a few months ago. you probably need that replaced along with your headlight fluids.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by GNiCk89
Try the battery first, if that doesn't work, your alternator isn't holding the charge.

Well I was told by my dad that if you let the car run for a bit the alternator should charge the battery and it was running for about a half hour last night then I turned it off and tried starting it again and still got nothing.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
sounds like the alternator. the battery should have some power for at least a LITTLE while after jumping it. that sounds very much like an alternator problem.
take it to a mechanic.. that's what I'd do..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
sounds like the alternator. the battery should have some power for at least a LITTLE while after jumping it. that sounds very much like an alternator problem.

I agree how difficult is changing an alternator on this specific vehicle?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Double post but could the wiring I just added for my subs be shorting something out?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
^ it could be draining the battery. sound systems can put a lot of extra stress on a cars electrical system.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
'99 Intrepid? Trying to replace anything on those cars is enough to make a guy shoot himself.
Alternator. If it is a 2.5l v6, it is a bitch to work on, but if its a 4cyl, its a whole lot easier...

Btw, if you use subwoofers, go to a junkyard and buy an ambulance alternator...worth the few extra bucks.

Sources Cited: I'm a mechanic
Songs
Our Song

Quote by archangels666

YOU MOTHER GET UP, come on get DOWN WITH THE BUTTSECKS!
YOU FUCKER GET UP, come on get DOWN WITH THE BUTTSECKS!
BUTTSECKS IS THE GIFT THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO ME!

Do you have a voltmeter? Instead of guessing whether your charging system's working, make sure you're getting around 13-14 volts while the engine's running. If not you're not charging the system, hence it dies pretty soon after the jumper cables are disconnected.

Your battery should be around the 12.5 volt mark engine off, and around 13.5 engine running. The extra volt charges the battery.

5 bucks for a digital multimeter, buy two and leave one in the car.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
you probably jsut need an entirely new battery, and the "jumping" option was used last time it acted up.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
First thing that comes to mind is battery, lol.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Get both. The alternator isn't keeping it charged, but the battery should be able to hold power for at least a little bit after being jumped.

So you need to replace both.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Those are probably your two best bets. Im guessing that since it stops when you disconnect the jumper cables, your alternator broke a while ago and your car has ran the battery dry. So, you probably need both changed.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
More likely than not the alternator....
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Got it fixed. We checked the alternator first and it tested fine at autozone so we decided to check the battery today. And do you guys want to know what it was? A DIRTY BATTERY CONNECTION was causing all my problems. We took the whole front end apart to get the alternator off and thats all it was.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112