I have a problem with the rhythm guitarist in my band. He is a good friend and he actually introduced me to the drummer. The problem is, he is just really bad at guitar and everyone knows it. We had practice once without him and we actually sounded better. Everytime we practice with him, we try to make something up but he is holding us back and wants everything done his way. In other words he needs to be kicked out. I need a way to tell him he's out without hurting his feelings too much (or possibly becoming violent). Any suggestions how?

P.S. The whole band agrees he needs to go, not just me.
Just do it to his face, be honest and sincere. Not much else you can do really.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I'll give you the advice i got when i asked about this. Give it to him straight letting him know it was a band decision and ask if he'd like to start up a side project with you to let him know that if may not be right for that band but you can try something different with him.
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
Its a bitch but it has to be done if he can't keep up with you guys...

His crapness...is it because he's not been playing long or because hes lazy or because hes just ****?

If its the first...theres a chance he can improve quite quickly
If its the second...you can't keep him
If its the third...you can't keep him but its a bit more harsh :P

There are loads of tactical / backhanded things you could do...ive been thought through them all before but the best way...cliched as it is...is just to tell him straight up - don't need to be harsh about it...but just be clear.

If he is a good friend...though he may be pissed he'd understand in the long run
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
you need to tell him straight up that he sucks and that he should stop talking bad about other band mates and he should probably learn to play standing up
Your rhythm guitarist sounds like me He wouldnt happen to play an RR would he? haha.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

do what they did in ''School of rock'' let him turn up and find another rythem guitarist playing with you ...

and say

'' hey man we voted your out''
^But then you're just gonna be a pathetic little foot note on his epic ass! He will then kung fu kick a cymbal and storm out, forming his own band of elementary school, rich, mostly white kids.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 23, 2009,
no he doesnt play a rr. he has a les paul. And kcire, we're in the same band....
Quote by kcire12
you need to tell him straight up that he sucks and that he should stop talking bad about other band mates and he should probably learn to play standing up

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Record your practices. Play the songs with him against the ones without him. If he has any ability to be objective, he should hear the difference. If he doesn't now, he never will. In that case, be as kind and honest as you can, and tell him its time for him to go.
I’ve only recently (The last 8 months or so) gotten to a groove as a rythem gutarist. It’s a tough job, at leat it was for a while. I took lessons, watched you tube lessons, and really dove into the guitar. For me, it payed off. The band has Gigs now, and things look good for us in the future. We are by no means going to make the next great american record, but were having fun, right?

Dosent sound like your having too much of it right now? If this guy isnt taking it even remotly seriously, and you can live without him, it seems like a no brainer. He’s gotta go. I know he’s your friend, but is it your band, or thiers, or a combination. If he wants to get better, he will. (But just to satisfy my own curiosity, what are his short falls?)

If you and him are still real close, this is going to be hard, and have ramifications that extend into the friendship. But that’s the decision that you have to make. Whats more important to you in the long run. If he’s just so-so, and the band wants him out, whos to say that they wont vote you or some one else out in the futire as everyone starts to get a little better.

But I agree, you have to make the best decision for you AND the band, in a balance.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
To Jonny ryan mac:
His shortfalls are: not standing when he plays, its rare when he can keep the rhythm of the song (hes either too fast or too slow), a big downfall is he gets tired playing power chords, he can't palm mute correctly, and on many occasions, he just plays a power chord wrong (yeah, it's sad). Another thing is that he turns up his amp louder than everyone else's and just plays complete crap. Then when we try to play something, he tells us to stop and only he just plays more crap.
Well, the band is the whole person complex, in a nutshell. Rock and Roll aint Rock and Roll without the Roll, if you know what I mean. The energy defines the band. Energy is hard to teach. He needs to play standing up, that’s for sure, or at least shore up his strap so the guitar hangs exactly where it would if he was sitting. Palm muting takes time, slap-muting (Right hand bounces on and off the bridge during power chord stuming) playing can be just as effective, dosent sound as good, but it has its places, for now. Im just throwing ideas out. Sounds like he needs lessons, or needs to follow someone. Like the drummer, or bassist.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Feelings don't matter when you're in the music business, so don't worry about that, and it doesn't matter if he's a good friend, if he sucks at guitar, then he shouldn't be in a f*ucking band!

So, you could think of this as a learning experience, should you have to kick someone out in the future.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Jul 24, 2009,
I giggled when i heard he doesnt play standing up. (no offense to the women of this forum)

This guy is a **** and hes holding you back. Tell him straight up to get serious or get out.