Bit of a rant upcoming but I'm sure quite a few people can relate to it...I wish I'd learnt guitar / music years earlier.

I mean...I'm only 18 now but there's so much I want to learn to start a kickass band in uni its just overwhelming!!

There's music theory...something which will hopefully make learning in other areas faster but the subject itself is pretty f'n vast!

There's learning guitar techniques like triplet picking, faster playing, perfecting pinch harmonics etc

There's learning actual songs to build up a good repetoire

Learning how to sing whilst playing the guitar

Creating songs / writing riffs etc....

!!!! WHERE TO START / WHAT TO LEARN NEXT / HOW TO PRIORITISE IT ALL!!

/random rant
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
This seems like kind of an odd place for this thread, probably belongs in Guitar Techniques seeing as your main question seems to be what to practice rather than something to do with making bands.

Anyway, I'm in more or less the same place as you. RE: What to prioritise and such, I think the best thing you can do is figure out what your goals are with your playing (you said you wanted to start a band - think about things like genre and your role in the band) and focus on the skills you'll need to achieve those.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
I know what you mean.My folks wanted me to learn guitar when i was 10 but i only picked it up last year aged 15. Id know so much if i started back then
Last edited by gerardk at Jul 23, 2009,
I've been playing guitar for 3 or 4 years... But that's the problem, all I've been doing is playing, instead of taking any interest in theory, & I might just be 16 but I still feel as though I'm doomed... Ha! :/

EDIT: Anyone of us could try & find a guitar teacher... But I've had two (although, they've been group teachers, instead of private teachers) but they didn't teach me a thing, & I would get a private teacher, but I can't afford a decent one!
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Jul 23, 2009,
I know how you feel. I love music. I use to play the trumpet, so i had some musical training, which helped me with learning the guitar. But i didn't pick up the guitar until last year. I wish i had picked it up earlier, I could have taken music classes in high school, i could have taken lessons. BUt now i have only one year left of high school, not enough time, i'm only taking a one-semester music theory course. I have learned fast, but there is still so much to learn.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Gee whiz have a cry! If I started playing guitar 20 years ago I'd be way better!

Oh wait, maybe I should stop complaining and go learn.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud