Is it possible to change the fretboard radius of a guitar without damaging it? Like the radius of a Strat is 7.25" i think, and if I want to change it to 10", Would that be plausible/practical? Just asking out of curiosity. I want to get a strat, but I can't deal with the radius.

thanks
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Is it possible to change the fretboard radius of a guitar without damaging it? Like the radius of a Strat is 7.25" i think, and if I want to change it to 10", Would that be plausible/practical? Just asking out of curiosity. I want to get a strat, but I can't deal with the radius.

thanks
You're worried about nothing. MiM or American, Deluxe or Standard, Strats have a 9.5" radius fretboard. That's close enough to 10". Be happy.

Vintage Strats have 7.25" radius. Don't like it? Fine. Buy a Standard or a Deluxe. Sorted.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You're worried about nothing. MiM or American, Deluxe or Standard, Strats have a 9.5" radius fretboard. That's close enough to 10". Be happy.

Vintage Strats have 7.25" radius. Don't like it? Fine. Buy a Standard or a Deluxe. Sorted.

Really? Wow OK. I was going to trade for a 60's style MIM, so no wonder it was 7.25". I immediately assumed that they were all 7.25" after that. Another question:
Is it possible to convert a neck to be compound radius make the radius even bigger than 10". I mean, 10" is fine, but I like it a little wider.

thanks.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
If you really want a 10" radius your going to have to pull all the frets out, sand the fretboard down with a 10" radius block then refret, dress and level the frets. Like SYK said, theres really no point
Quote by apak
Really? Wow OK. I was going to trade for a 60's style MIM, so no wonder it was 7.25". I immediately assumed that they were all 7.25" after that. Another question:
Is it possible to convert a neck to be compound radius make the radius even bigger than 10". I mean, 10" is fine, but I like it a little wider.

thanks.
possible? sure. kind of a pain, though. compound radius is basically a conic section. small radius near the head, larger near the body. much harder to lay out than a simple radius. can be done if you're careful and have patience. nice, in a way. you have the comfort of the smaller radius for chording near the head and the flatness if you wanna be Mr Shred-their-faces-off at the upper frets.

personally, I've grown pretty happy with small radius boards.
then again, an EC solo is as shreddy as it gets for me.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Its alot of work when on a bolt neck its alot easier to swap the neck. And there is the cost of tools if you dont already have em for the refret. Also the learning curve on doing fret work.
Alright guys. I was just wondering for future reference as I WILL buy a strat some time in the future. Probably will get a luthier to do it for me if necessary. thanks.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack