Okay, so I went to guitar center today to try out some amps. I got to the section where they had the Peaveys and plugged my guitar into a Vypyr (I don't remember how many watts.) The thing is, it was always distorted. I just wanted to see how it was with cleans, but I couldn't turn off the distortion. There was a knob (I think it was the stompbox/effect knob) that said to push it in to turn off dist/for clean, but even when I pushed it/pushed and held, it wouldn't do anything. I even tried changing the channels, and it was always distorted. Am I just missing something here?

I guess you could say I'm used to Line 6's (go ahead, laugh it up, I'm looking to upgrade, that's why I was at GC <_< thing where they have a DISTINCT BUTTON for clean/distortion (why anyone would ever use Line 6's distortion is beyond me, but you get my point.) I tried a Raven amp, and it had a specific clean channel and a specific distorted channel, but both kinda sucked, so I stopped playing it.

Another question. I noticed on the vypyr that you pretty much HAD to have an effect stompbox knob on while you played, there wasn't a "no effect" notch on the knob. Is it like that for most other amps? Or was I just missing something on the Vypyr?

Sorry if there was a thread for this that I missed <<;. Thanks.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
It's a confusing amp, so no you're not stupid. I couldn't figure out how to turn the effects off either. Wish I could help more, but I gave up on it after about ten minutes. Sounded pretty meh anyways.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
There's clearly a "bypass" button for the effects, and there are different clean settings that you can switch to. Wasn't that confusing to me.
Quote by GNRjungle87
There's clearly a "bypass" button for the effects, and there are different clean settings that you can switch to. Wasn't that confusing to me.

Crap, maybe we're both stupid.

Honestly though, I'm a 4-6 knob guy, so the vypyr is very scary to me. Plus, there's nothing in the amp you can modify!!
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Crap, maybe we're both stupid.

Honestly though, I'm a 4-6 knob guy, so the vypyr is very scary to me. Plus, there's nothing in the amp you can modify!!

I'm more of a 4-6 knob guy too. I didn't play with the Vypyr too much, but it made sense to me. I wouldn't buy it though.
The amp selector button toggles green/red when pressed. When green it's low gain. So pick an amp like "twin" and set it to green. Make sure that you don't have a stompbox selected (ie use bypass). It should be plenty clean.
There's a bypass on the effects knobbie.

If the light on the modelling selector is red it's in overdrive mode, if it's green, it's on clean mode. If you hold it you get a tuner.

If you push the effects knob you get parameters and delay/reverb modification.

Settings don't save (ARGH) and reverb/delay defaults on.
This is why mine is a cab now.
While I was atleast able to change gain settings, along with the "Amp model" (Having the fender twin model is obviously more clean than the 5150 model)... The amp was still confusing for me, so no... you aren't stupid.
Quote by Nico the Great
Okay, so I went to guitar center today to try out some amps. I got to the section where they had the Peaveys and plugged my guitar into a Vypyr (I don't remember how many watts.) The thing is, it was always distorted. I just wanted to see how it was with cleans, but I couldn't turn off the distortion. There was a knob (I think it was the stompbox/effect knob) that said to push it in to turn off dist/for clean, but even when I pushed it/pushed and held, it wouldn't do anything. I even tried changing the channels, and it was always distorted. Am I just missing something here?

I guess you could say I'm used to Line 6's (go ahead, laugh it up, I'm looking to upgrade, that's why I was at GC <_< thing where they have a DISTINCT BUTTON for clean/distortion (why anyone would ever use Line 6's distortion is beyond me, but you get my point.) I tried a Raven amp, and it had a specific clean channel and a specific distorted channel, but both kinda sucked, so I stopped playing it.

Another question. I noticed on the vypyr that you pretty much HAD to have an effect stompbox knob on while you played, there wasn't a "no effect" notch on the knob. Is it like that for most other amps? Or was I just missing something on the Vypyr?

Sorry if there was a thread for this that I missed <<;. Thanks.

I'm in your situation I have a Line 6 Spider III and I hate it so I'm looking into amps right now but the one I want it's Marshall the good ones are expensive so I'm saving some money and getting a job to get it. You might as well do the same but I don't mean get a Marshall unless you want too. The great quality equipment can be expensive but worth it.