In either instrument metal strings vibrate over electromagnets to produce the sound wave which is sent through a simple circuit on its way to the amplifier. In general the bass guitar has a larger body, longer neck and thicker strings. So what is the critical factor that makes the bass guitar sound lower? Is it the circuit, or is it the larger diameter strings? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the size of the body is of secondary importance.

What I really want to know is how it will sound if I string my electric guitar with strings meant for a bass? I play a cheap guitar that I bought used and I'm looking for ways to get new sounds out of it.
It's the length of the neck/strings, shorter strings make a high pitch when they vibrate, which is why the 24 fret is higher pitched than the open string, because the string has been made shorter effectively, higher tension, less room for vibrations etc
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
string length and width
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by gleemer
What I really want to know is how it will sound if I string my electric guitar with strings meant for a bass?

You can try getting some really heavy gauge 7 string sets and downtune, but the pups won't get the same groove as a bass.
Quote by pwrmax
but the pups won't get the same groove as a bass.

Could you clarify please?
Quote by gleemer
Could you clarify please?

They're not designed to handle that frequency so it'd sound really muddy, flubby and crap basically. I don't really get your angle, are you trying to play bass but on a guitar?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Wouldn't your guitar's neck snap off if you put bass strings on it? Maybe not completely snap off, but something to a similar effect..?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I'm not sure what I'm trying to do I guess, I've only been playing for six months.

When I listen to music I'm generally more interested in the guitar parts than the bass parts and when I read tablature the guitar parts are invariably more interesting than the basslines but when I pick up an instrument just to mess around I like the feel of my friends bass more than the feel of my guitar (neither instrument is particularly high quality). But I dislike being limited to four strings.

I guess I was trying to find an acceptable middle ground but I'd rather not snap the neck of my guitar off .
You sound like you wanna play bass, but still turn around to a hot girl and say "i play guitar"

The only thing i reccomend is get your guitar set up and put like 14 gauge strings and play in Drop A....but that might limit you to only being able to play low low low low metal.... lol

Just give it up and play bass instead?

I'm pretty sure if you go to the bass forums they can give you tabs for interesting bass songs with more complex bass lines.

What you wanna do isn't a good idea unless you DO wanna play low tuned metal.
Quote by siverstorm
You sound like you wanna play bass, but still turn around to a hot girl and say "i play guitar"

lol

depending on what you play bass lines can often be more melodic or catchy that guitar parts, though you play metal where its basically used as a filler to make it sound big and heavy. If i were you I'd pick up bass on the side, bass rules.
Quote by kurtebirdi
depending on what you play bass lines can often be more melodic or catchy that guitar parts.

Money! Best bassline ever.
i was thinking YYZ at the moment but yes money is epicly entertaining and most people can learn it pretty quick
Quote by siverstorm

Well played sir. I guess I just have to wait till I have some money and buy myself a bass.

Speaking of Money, it sounds great yea, but it takes about this long to learn: .
My favorite bassline has always been Summer babe but its not much harder than Money.
Money is THE worst bassline ever.
And I hate it that Pink Floyd made it.
Not that they ever made a really good bassline now that I think of it.

Ar well... at least they have the rest good
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Tool have awesome basslines, probably too advanced for 6 months though.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Well you could always check out some POUSA they use instruments they modified called Guit-bass and Bassitar, which might be what your thinking.
'62 reissue Mexican Fender Stratocaster.

Fender Blues Junior

Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Electro Harmonix NYC Big Muff
Ibanez TS9 tube screamer
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Electro Harmonix Micro P.O.G
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Facepalm.
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Money is THE worst bassline ever.
And I hate it that Pink Floyd made it.
Not that they ever made a really good bassline now that I think of it.

Ar well... at least they have the rest good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion