so ive been playing guitar for almost 4 years now and my brother has been playing drums for about 5. ever since i started, i had trial and error with other bands. and i was sick of it. so my cousin was like "i really need a hobby" and i said "maybe you should learn bass". so he got a squire bass and a really ****ty amp and a ds-1 from this kid for like 100 bucks.

so then my other cousin ( his brother) is like i could sing and we could start a band! i was like "Yeah!" all was good until our singer got a pa system so we could actually hear his voice (he was using a fender 15 watt prior to this disaster). and he sucks.

Then my cousin the "bassist" bought a new 200 watt berhinger and a new ibanez for like 400 bucks. so we could hear him better. and he blows as well.

that was about 2 months ago.

our singer has shown improvement but our bassist still sucks dick. he can't even play Bro Hymn. even when hes singing the exact scale in the chorus, he can't keep up.

me and my brother really want to gig but we'd be too embarrassed because of our bassist.

LONG STORY SHORT!
Good Guitar and Drums
Shabby Vocals
****ed Up Bass.

We can't really kick them out because they're family and they already spent the money on their 400 dollar PA and 400 dollar bass gear.

WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO?!?!
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
The bassist will improve, You said the vocalist has been improving, it might help to get both of them lessons. If they are offended by this just say "Hey, me and (insert brothers name) have been playing for years, you guys havnt, we think you could really benefit from lessons."
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Well mate, i was in a band before with 4 of my best mates, but our singer, was bollocks, we finally just decided a few weeks ago to get him told, before he embrrassed himself or us anymore, (his parents would go to the gigs and sing every word cheering only him on). When we told him he was kinda cooler than we though he would be about it, and we hear he's already planning his new thing with another pal. SO we've moved on as has he, i hope your cousins can see what your telling them, and dont just say "you're ****", come out with all the were sorry but we cant see it continuing, we want to progress in a different wya, and we feel you may hold us back" sorta stuff. We're already discussing new projects with other singers, so its all worked out for us. Hopefully it does for you mate.
Partick Thistle - The Greater Glasgow Alternative

Gear List

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez V70 Acoustic
Boss ME-50 FX Pedal
Boss OD-1 Pedal
Zoom G2 FX Pedal
Vox AD15VT
Pro Tools 9
Quote by VanTheKraut
The bassist will improve, You said the vocalist has been improving, it might help to get both of them lessons. If they are offended by this just say "Hey, me and (insert brothers name) have been playing for years, you guys havnt, we think you could really benefit from lessons."

hes been playing for 6 months and still hasn't shown improvement. ****s just frustrating
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
You really need to talk to them. If they are mature enough to be in a band, they will understand they need to get to your level of musicianship or not be in the band.
Quote by CODE
You really need to talk to them. If they are mature enough to be in a band, they will understand they need to get to your level of musicianship or not be in the band.

would only hope so... bass is 17 singer is 21 haha
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
would only hope so... bass is 17 singer is 21 haha

Well **** then, definately let them know you are more serious. If you aren't a lot younger than them they should take you serious.

BTW, have you heard of the band pmtoday? 3 out of 4 in the band are brothers and they all sing and their voices sound really close and it turns out sounding sweet. Maybe you two should try singing?
Honestly, I've been in bands with family memebers, and to me, it's just easier to be honest with them, just tell him he needs to improve in the nicest way possible, good luck dude.
Having trouble singing and playing, is he? Tell the bassist to shut up and focus on playing. Just a thought....

Turn him down, tell him he's mudding up your midrange or something. Then at least you cant hear it as bad.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Having trouble singing and playing, is he? Tell the bassist to shut up and focus on playing. Just a thought....

Turn him down, tell him he's mudding up your midrange or something. Then at least you cant hear it as bad.

That would be hiding the problem, not fixing it.
...I like metal.
Quote by Sax2

mhm. and he thinks its a good idea to turn on the ds-1 while playing parts that IM distorted.

also he tries to "solo" by playing really high up on the G because he sees me playing high up on my E. not the same.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by Sax2

I realize that, A attempt at a joke. hard to get the tone across online.

Has he taken lessons, does he practice on his own?
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Family is tough. They're obviously not the Jackson 5, huh? Who is Tito? Anyway, maybe keep paying a bit with them as a family band, but find some other people to play with on a more serious level. You don't have to go public with them, but just play with them for fun on occasion.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I realize that, A attempt at a joke. hard to get the tone across online.

Has he taken lessons, does he practice on his own?

he says he practices but i highly doubt it
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
My best friend is our Bassist, and we've been practicing with his brother on the drums. Its turning out really well.

if its YOU leading the band, YOU should be telling people if theyre not pulling their weight. the only way you can play well as a band is if you can play well individually, and that requires practice.
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Rock&RollStar
My best friend is our Bassist, and we've been practicing with his brother on the drums. Its turning out really well.

if its YOU leading the band, YOU should be telling people if theyre not pulling their weight. the only way you can play well as a band is if you can play well individually, and that requires practice.

i'm the youngest and im not in charge.... =\
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
I've been playing bass for about seven months now, and would say I'm at an intermediate level. However, I came into bass thinking "I'm 17, if I put a year of hard work into playing bass guitar I'll be good by the time I'm 18", and so far my practice is paying off. I practice a lot, anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours a day. If he doesn't have much of a passion, he won't wanna practice, pretty simply. Find out what bands/songs he likes, and learn it as a band. your bassist will be more motivated to learn and improve if he loves the songs. Also teach him that the Bass is more a rhythm instrument that holds things together, and that he doesn't have to solo because it doesn't suit the sound.
Quote by zeminion

We can't really kick them out because they're family and they already spent the money on their 400 dollar PA and 400 dollar bass gear.

WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO?!?!

Kick them out. They suck and are holding you back. Be honest, but do it in a nice way. Believe me its not easy, I've had to kick my best friend out before, but its what you have to do to have a decent band.
Last edited by Young Mosaics at Jul 24, 2009,
Take your brother and start a "side project" with new musicians and slowly let your current band take a back seat to your new group (if it's worth pursuing).
Haven't you learnt anything about having family in the band from Oasis?

Fight them.
I had this problem in one of my bands once, with the rhythm guitarist. I recorded the rhythm part for him to take home and practice with at home.

It worked because;
(a) he had something to practice with
(b) instead of directly telling him he sucked, I made an effort to show that I want him to get better, rather than leaving the band.

And he did. So record the bass part for him.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by zeminion
i'm the youngest and im not in charge.... =\

I'm the youngest and I'm the drummer (so I have literally nothing going for me from the start anyway... ) and I was the elected leader to help pull my bands ass out of the collective toilet.

Tell them to get lessons. If they refuse then kick them out. It's not your fault they blew a crapload of money on stuff you didn't ask them to buy.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
I'm the youngest and I'm the drummer (so I have literally nothing going for me from the start anyway... ) and I was the elected leader to help pull my bands ass out of the collective toilet.

Tell them to get lessons. If they refuse then kick them out. It's not your fault they blew a crapload of money on stuff you didn't ask them to buy.

haha maybe...
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Why did you even start a band before actually figuring out if either one of them could play/sing?
I don't understand.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by CDubDSP
Take your brother and start a "side project" with new musicians and slowly let your current band take a back seat to your new group (if it's worth pursuing).
+1
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
man 2 months is little time, if he spent 800 bucks he's going to play a lot i suppose, give him the time he needs (or pratice more with him )
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Quote by itafromhell
man 2 months is little time, if he spent 800 bucks he's going to play a lot i suppose, give him the time he needs (or pratice more with him )

nah its been 6 months. he bought the new stuff 2 months ago
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Give it time, if the desire is there, his skills will come along. Some times skill is born out of necessity. (i.e. - keeping it simple until you can make it technical)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Simple, clean, easy: Stop playing with that band. Lose interest. Eventually they wont want to play with the band and it will dissolve on it's own. In the meantime, start a new band, Find a new bassist and slowly get all your same members back except the ones u dont want. It's time consuming, but it's much more likely to spare their feelings than telling them.
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Simple, clean, easy: Stop playing with that band. Lose interest. Eventually they wont want to play with the band and it will dissolve on it's own. In the meantime, start a new band, Find a new bassist and slowly get all your same members back except the ones u dont want. It's time consuming, but it's much more likely to spare their feelings than telling them.

Good call. Sounds like a plan.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Good call. Sounds like a plan.

not exactly.... how the hell could i secretly have my cousin singing and not have my other cousin who is his brother as bass.... plus they are like my best friends so breaking up the band is not an option
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
not exactly.... how the hell could i secretly have my cousin singing and not have my other cousin who is his brother as bass.... plus they are like my best friends so breaking up the band is not an option

Arrggg!! U don't get it! What's the easiest way to end a relationship without hurting your gf? You get her to dump YOU. You annoy the crap out of her, you call her in the middle of the night, you be super clingy, and she'll want it to end.

All you have to do is make it so your cousin(the one you don't want) doesn't WANT to be in the band, then when you start a new band, he wont even ask to join. Plain and simple.
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Wow, I guess I'm pretty lucky. I'm in a band with my brother(guitarist) and someone who's practically family(bassist).
Our bassist has been playing for one year, never learned theory, but he's really good(talented).
And to give you an answer, above poster is right.
Quote by fretsofthebeast
*grabs rifle*
so let it be written so let it be done..........

Quote by SOADrox429
You shouldn't hit your drummers. You're supposed to be nice to them, or they'll be scared of you.
Quote by zeminion
hes been playing for 6 months and still hasn't shown improvement. ****s just frustrating

So, I've been playing guitar for 8 months and haven't improved much. Give him time.
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

yes, it's hiding the problem, not fixing it, but if you hide it well enough... I like this^

this is the same reason why I don't lend money to family.