Well my friend is always ripping on me for having a ''Mexican Made'' P-bass which i bought for around 600$.I dont mind it but ive had it for about 3 years now and im now wondering if i would of been better off buying an american made one.

advice?
Last edited by Disobey666 at Jul 23, 2009,
If it's good, it's obviously disproved his theory that "OMG all mexicun made bass SUX lol ghey".

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yeah I love my mexican made P bass, check out my other thread

[/thread advert]

Seriously though, you shouldn't need someone else to tell you if you like your bass or not
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Casketcreep
Your friend sounds like they don't know what they're talking about, to be honest.

What does he/she play?

he also plays bass and is a rich kid a bit spoiled and has a nice el Degas
Last edited by Disobey666 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Disobey666
he also plays bass and is a rich kid a bit spoiled and has a nice wooden el Degas

I'd be telling him where to go tbh... unless you don't like it. Do you like it? Mexican Fenders are happily professional quality.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
I'd be telling him where to go tbh... unless you don't like it. Do you like it? Mexican Fenders are happily professional quality.

what do you mean telling him where to go:S and i dont mind it i havent played it through a nice bass amp yet though so i cant say. the only things wrong with it were my input jack was screwed up and i got it fixed by putting washers underneath it by taking off the pickgaurd. But the picgaurd is now slightly higher around the input jack. Also i need to fix my action so ill stop getting dead notes after the 12th fret

but i guess my real question is if theres a tone difference between mexican made and american made
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I own 2 MIM fenders and they have lasted me almost 6 years- still play and sound great. I would like an American pbass but I'd definitely go for a mexican. The pbass rocks- good choice in bass btw.

thank you
Mexican made Fender's are good quality they have a nice sound imo from what i heard out my friends running through an Ampeg BA115t combo sounded good.

But if you have a good guitar your happy with you shouldnt change just to appease people imo its a matter of personal taste and preference aswell as the factor of is it really worth shelling out for an American one when you have a good guitar you feel comfortable with already.

that my take on it, if he's a spoiled rich kid let him be one its not always gonna go his way in later life if he acts that way now..best to ignore him and keep playing.

I get a lot of stick from a friend with a Gibson thunderbird bass and i only started and got an Aria IGB-35 from my cousin for £70 but he was short on cash for his rent so i didnt mind paying that.Besides im having a ball and looking at a Squier P-bass after trying one in a shop yesterday although i do like the slightly more muddy tone of the thunderbird and i know Epi's are cheaply availble.
he always ripping on me for not having an amp too:@ ive been playing bass for 4 years now and i still havent had enough money to buy a decent amp but i totally agree Casketcreep
Quote by Disobey666
what do you mean telling him where to go:S and i dont mind it i havent played it through a nice bass amp yet though so i cant say. the only things wrong with it were my input jack was screwed up and i got it fixed by putting washers underneath it by taking off the pickgaurd. But the picgaurd is now slightly higher around the input jack. Also i need to fix my action so ill stop getting dead notes after the 12th fret

but i guess my real question is if theres a tone difference between mexican made and american made

I was just joking about telling him where to go... but there's nothing wrong with mexican fenders. The USA ones will generally (not always) sound a bit better and have a slightly better build quality.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

i really like the neck on my p bass so i couldent much more offering on build but isnt it more important on the amp you have rather then the guitar
Quote by Disobey666
i really like the neck on my p bass so i couldent much more offering on build but isnt it more important on the amp you have rather then the guitar

yes. Definitely.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I love my MIM P bass, it plays well and has never had any problems, and sounds brilliant.

Gordon Moakes (Bloc Party) uses a single MIM P bass when touring, and Carlos Dengler (Interpol) uses a single MIM Jazz Bass all the time. They are quality instruments.
Quote by Disobey666
are there any good bassists that use MM p-basses

Probably (+ the one above) does it matter as long as they are good quality?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

yeah i dunno i was just listening to interpol and bloc party there bass sounds so blane
That doesn't mean yours has to be. I play everything from Jazz to death metal with mine and it sounds awesome.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Razgriz_101
Mexican made Fender's are good quality they have a nice sound imo from what i heard out my friends running through an Ampeg BA115t combo sounded good.

But if you have a good guitar your happy with you shouldnt change just to appease people imo its a matter of personal taste and preference aswell as the factor of is it really worth shelling out for an American one when you have a good guitar you feel comfortable with already.

that my take on it, if he's a spoiled rich kid let him be one its not always gonna go his way in later life if he acts that way now..best to ignore him and keep playing.

I get a lot of stick from a friend with a Gibson thunderbird bass and i only started and got an Aria IGB-35 from my cousin for £70 but he was short on cash for his rent so i didnt mind paying that.Besides im having a ball and looking at a Squier P-bass after trying one in a shop yesterday although i do like the slightly more muddy tone of the thunderbird and i know Epi's are cheaply availble.
Off topic: How does that BA115t sound? I own the solid state version, and I've always been intrigued to hear how the tube version sounds.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Disobey666
Well my friend is always ripping on me for having a ''Mexican Made'' P-bass which i bought for around 600$.I dont mind it but ive had it for about 3 years now and im now wondering if i would of been better off buying an american made one.

advice?

Well, you did get ripped if you bought it for that much 3 years ago, even new.
The bassist in my band has a MIM arctic white P bass - Nothing wrong with it. Gorgeous looking thing though. His Daschund keeps chewing at the strings and snapping them though

I have Squier P-Bass special and to be honest I'd prefer one of them to a fender. Less expensive to fix, not as bad if you actually do break it, and they're decent sounding considering they're £200 compared to nearly £800 for an MIA P bass.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by enzoslashslash
Well, you did get ripped if you bought it for that much 3 years ago, even new.

how how much should it be worth
well what the **** . this is bull**** ive been stuck with the same ****ty bass for 3 years and ****en no amp :@
put a quality bridge on it and a Quarter Pounder pickup, then steel wool the neck for a few minutes, and you've got an American beat, in most cases.

there are of course, a few stinkers that are out there, America is better at the quality control.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Meh.

You can have your bass made in Mexico by Mexicans, or in America... By different Mexicans
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Quote by Brodie337
Meh.

You can have your bass made in Mexico by Mexicans, or in America... By different Mexicans

my people know how to build a guitar, eh?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like em both, just dont see the point in paying the huge difference for an American... The Jap Fenders are nice too though...
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.