So, I'm 17 (almost 18, will be 18 in September). I have long hair (passed my shoulders). I'm attempting to get a job, but most places around me aren't hiring (I won't have my license until September either, and I'd have to walk out of my burough to catch a bus because it's that small).

My mom has asked her boss (she works for a cleaning company) if she could hook me up with a job. Her boss said that while they're not hiring, I might be able to land a watered-down accounting job with one of her friends. The problem is, I have to cut my hair.

Now, I know it's not that big of a deal. I think I look better with long hair, and having short hair kind of annoys me. I also have scars on my face from getting over acne (they should be gone in about a year's time, but until then I feel ugly), so that's another reason why I want to keep my hair long.

So, Pit, should I cut my hair? Do you think I could land the job if I ponytailed it instead of cutting it?

tl;dr: Tough to get a job. I have long hair. I don't wanna cut it for aesthetic reasons. May not get a job with long hair. Cut it? Ponytail it?
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Last edited by MyNameIsLame at Jul 23, 2009,
The search bar once had long hair, bro.

edit- it was you who made this exact same thread just recently.. why post this? Do you wake up and forget where you are and what your name is? If so- then you're excused.
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

Last edited by Dwight Schrute at Jul 23, 2009,
Cut it, style it, prof it.

EDIT: ^^^ GTFO
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Thread is useless without pics.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by Dwight Schrute

edit- it was you who made this exact same thread just recently.. why post this? Do you wake up and forget where you are and what your name is? If so- then you're excused.

O rly? Hmmm, interesting. Could've sworn I posted that somewhere else xD...
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Cut it. You'll have a better chance of getting the job. I too had my hair pass my shoulders, but I just cut it and it feels a lot better. I hated combing anyway
Well I've got the same damn problem... And I doubt I'm gonna cut my hair... It's for "Religious" purposes... Can't say nothing about that... :/

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
If you just put it into a ponytail it should be fine, but i dont really know. I have acne scars too and i hate to have my forehead showing with short hair
Cut it. Jobs are really hard to come by as of late and you should really do as much as you can to get one. Especially when it's on a platter like that.
My friend had to cut his hair because they flat out told him they wouldn't hire him unless he cut his hair. He did and got hired
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
dude, I have long curly hair. I get jobs all the time. You have to be personable, a dude with long hair is considered a rebel, different.

I cant even believe that you are considering cutting it. In that case you might'swell. Go ahead cutt it all off and be like every other joe schmoo working at Micky dee's.
Nothing exists there is no you, no me . . .
Quote by Flippy Floppy
My friend had to cut his hair because they flat out told him they wouldn't hire him unless he cut his hair. He did and got hired

if anyone told me that I would flat out tell them,

F++K YOU!

I would consider throwing down and going all out on that mofo
Nothing exists there is no you, no me . . .
Quote by Dwight Schrute

aawww, look at the wanna be mod.. Sooo cute. His question answered the first time so he made a new thread dip****. The irony is your post is spam.

On topic. At least try the ponytail before cutting it. Maybe tuck it under a hat? idk. Put it in a bun? lol. I guess if your desperate you could try the religious thing suggested but it might not work and is guaranteed to make your new boss not like you.

get used to the idea of cutting it. As you said, it won't be the end of the world.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Jul 23, 2009,
Put it in a tight bun behind your head, it'll look short, and it's not like it's that girlie or anything I've seen guys do that
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
People who think that you won't get hired because you have long hair are thinking too narrowly. You just have to find places where you're accepted.

I have dreads and a big beard. Right now I'm working as a social worker for a drug-rehab centre/safe-injection site/supportive housing office. We even have doctors and nurses here who are covered in tattoos and piercings. Everyone is really awesome and doesn't give a damn what you look like, and our clientele isn't exactly picky.

On weekends I'm a tour guide for an adventure tourism company that travels from Vancouver to the Rockies and back, Friday to Monday. Looking back on how I got that job, it probably actually HELPED that I had a beard and dreads, because they wanted someone to give the tours that looked like they belonged in the mountains. Our tours are aimed at international students, so they're trying to provide a stereotypical Canadian mountain experience, and I guess I fit that role pretty well.

I guess my point is, you can use your looks to your advantage, and find people who just don't care. If accounting is really what you want to do, then yeah, cut your hair. But if you're only doing it because you're looking for a summer job, you need to re-evaluate.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by Cade_nickels
if anyone told me that I would flat out tell them,

F++K YOU!

I would consider throwing down and going all out on that mofo

Yeah, I wouldv'e looked for something else but he really wanted the job so he cut it.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Man I've been working since Christmas on this doo, I'll be damned if Mr. Business-owner wants to keep me down.

Owner: Cut your hair!

Me: Cut your hair!

Me: Bitch.

Owner: You are not hired.
Most people look better with short hair. I can't think of even one of my friends who had long hair who looked better with it long than when they eventually got it cut
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Most people look better with short hair. I can't think of even one of my friends who had long hair who looked better with it long than when they eventually got it cut

This.
uhm.. spam?
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
I have longish hair, going to get past my face almost to my neck in the sides.

I applied at this place called 'Pump it up'. If you don't know what that is, its a little kid birthday place.

They accepted my application, but I could tell that putting my middle name as 'Metal' and writing it in blood for the br00tal epicness,

I know they didn't hire me because of the hair, because the lady kept staring at it, mesmorized.
Yeah.
I have long hair, and have only tried to get jobs twice. The first job was at a coffee shop that just recently opened up. My grandmother knows the guy that owns the place, and I've met him before. Nice guy. However, he straight up told me that I wasn't going to get the job unless my hair was above my shoulder. Considering I was going to be around food, and wearing a hair net just looks silly, I was completely understanding. If his vision of a thriving business doesn't include a 17 year old with long hair working with food and coffee out in front of people, then that's fine.

Also tried to get a job at a nearby gelato distribution company. That one I never had an absolute reason for not getting the job for, but he told my friend that applied for the job that it would've interfered with my summer school, so I'm suspecting that was the case. I was a little annoyed though because he did explicitly tell me we could definitely work around the summer school, and the job description mentioned flexible hours, which was my main motivation behind applying. Oh well. **** happens.
So glad I'm a girl right now. I can grow my hair as long as I want without it interfering with getting hired based on appearance.
i've only had 3 jobs, but each of them i got with long hair (my hair is about 4 or 5 inches from my belly button.)

just put it in a pony tail, be nice during the interview, and work hard if you get a trail.
by the way, the first job was working in a kitchen, that was fine with long hair. and a lot of the chefs there (not in the kitchen i was working in, another section of the venue) had mohawks, tattoos, etc. in fact, i know several chefs, only 2 are male, one has long hair.

my mate has hair to his tailbone, puts it in a ponytail, can get a job.

don't be discouraged by what anyone says.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by esp1234
Cut it. You'll have a better chance of getting the job. I too had my hair pass my shoulders, but I just cut it and it feels a lot better. I hated combing anyway

Same, I recently cut mine for a job that I didn't even end up getting. I hated the idea of shorter hair but now I love it I don't have to worry about combing it, it doesn't get in the way, and I don't burn it as often. Now I'm considering shaving my head.