I bought a new pack of strings from a store, but they were store made so they broke within a month. I was wondering what strings you recommend for a steel string acoustic. I'm looking for a smooth and warm sound.
DR Rare. I use them and love them. I'm sure there are plenty that you'll find to your liking though.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Quote by AlterEdge
DR Rare. I use them and love them. I'm sure there are plenty that you'll find to your liking though.

What gauge?
Quote by guitarprodigy14
What gauge?

Oh, I think there's only one gauge. I could be wrong though. I never look at the package long enough to see.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
No no, they always print the string gauges on the package, I just mean are they light or thick strings,
Quote by ChadHydro
I've been rocking D'Addario Mediums for quite some time and have been happy with them

This. They're cheap, they're easy to find, and they don't break very often. Either these or GHS strings.

If you want to spend a little more, I'd buy some Elixir strings.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
This. They're cheap, they're easy to find, and they don't break very often. Either these or GHS strings.

If you want to spend a little more, I'd buy some Elixir strings.

Ooo yes I've never used them myself but I've played another dude's acoustic and he swears by Elixir Polywebs. Those are some solid strings. Little more expensive yes but that's because they've got a polymer (plastic) coating around the outside. But those guys seem to never wear out
please dont buy polywebs
they sound completely dead on 5s and 6s strings, even not dead, you get feeling like your bridge saddle is made of paper or whatever it can be

nanowebs though are very good
consider phosphor bronze, it seems to work better with coating (elixirs 6th string even in nanoweb made of 80/20 bronze has some odd harmonics, phosphor however solves it from my experience. but its nothing major to be afraid of)

yes, its true they never wear out. and unwound strings dont rust.
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Regensgeliebte
please dont buy polywebs
they sound completely dead on 5s and 6s strings, even not dead, you get feeling like your bridge saddle is made of paper or whatever it can be

nanowebs though are very good
consider phosphor bronze, it seems to work better with coating (elixirs 6th string even in nanoweb made of 80/20 bronze has some odd harmonics, phosphor however solves it from my experience. but its nothing major to be afraid of)

yes, its true they never wear out. and unwound strings dont rust.

polywebs and nanoweb are both great strings and i use both,.but the 3rds always break with me and with anybody i know that uses them,.they break at different points on the string ,never at the same place so its not the guitars setup,.im told that ELIXIR use Daddario and then put their web coating on,..this would point to the culprit cause when i replace the broken elixir 3rd with a standard Daddario non coated then it too has a short life ,.only when i put on a 3rd of any other uncoated and cheap do i get any decent 3rd string life,.but then the unprotected 3rd goes dull and i then have to take the plastic pot scrubber and scrub it clean,this only works when the string is dry,.dobrocop.
oh boy, whats up with everybody breaking 3rd string? i never broke one... nor d'addario nor elixir. didnt elixir fix it? maybe just because i use phosphor bronze (actually used before i had to sell my acoustic)

are u sure that they use d'addario? cos d'addarios have colored ball-ends. they may be assembled on the same factory, but very few string manufacturers have their own factories (like d'addario has)

by the way - you could try an electric wound string, just a lil bit higher gauge than usual third. i think 0.26 nickel matches 0.24 acoustic
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Jul 25, 2009,
Hmm, alright, I'll try nanowebs and see where it goes from there, but to be honest, wtf is with coating a metal string in plastic, thats retarded sounding > <
D ~ ~ ~
if you want something that will last get Ddarrio EXP,
I use custom light for a bright, tingly sound and they last forever

There are $25+ AUD though
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
im already using 24,25,26 elixirs 3rds,.at different times and the always break,.and at different points along the string length,.also im pretty sure from other forums that D,addario make for elixir,.thanks to all,.