A few weeks ago I saw someone made an amp trough his PS1, I was very interested in the concept.

I PMed him asking for some kind of diagram or maybe tutorial on how to do my own (I have my own useless ps1), but he never answered, maybe he hasn't sign in, maybe he just didn't feel like explaining anything, didn't have time, idk. I'm not blaming him nor nothing!
The thing is that I wanna make my own too, but don't know how.
I have ZERO experience about wiring amps or stuff, but I think this could be a good start, I can get all the parts maybe in Radioshack or any local store.
Can anyone maybe explain me how to do it? It's a pretty simple amp I think, no fx, channels, nothing, just gain and volume control (if that's something, again, I'm n00b at this)
I'd be very glad

If so, when I finish it and post it here, credits of the idea would go to AK. and to anyone that explained me how to.

thanks
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It's the sound of Satan himself ripping through the electronics in the guitar....

It's a pinch harmonic, dude.
Quote by Invader Jim
Go to runoffgroove.com

Click Schematics.

Find and click Little Gem amp.

Build it.

Gut your ps1.

Insert Little Gem.

????

Profit margin.

lol I love how you say profit "margin." It's so hilarious.

If this is easy enough, I might do it to something really stupid too. like a dvd player or vcr or something.

meh i have a broken combo that came with my starcaster. Probably recycle the speaker?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 24, 2009,
Just listened to the sound clips, how loud does this thing go?

It produces a better sound than my 10w very bad amp, so i'd consider taking the speaker from that and building it into this. - if it's loud enough
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The speaker is what kills an amps sound. I played a squier sidekick thru some Kenwood cabs from the 80s and it sounded very passable.

You'll want a good speaker. The speaker is the voice of the amp.
Quote by Invader Jim
The speaker is what kills an amps sound. I played a squier sidekick thru some Kenwood cabs from the 80s and it sounded very passable.

You'll want a good speaker. The speaker is the voice of the amp.

Hm. That sucks.. I don't know what the heck to do with my 10w broken amp. I don't want to fix it because it sucks a lot. Does the speaker have to be a guitar speaker or can I rip one out of some old computer speakers. they are pretty good, but old, and nobody uses them.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Computer speakers are "general purpose". THat's the worts class of speakers as far as guitar-related applications go.

I have an old PA speaker from the 70s that my school threw away, and it's ass for guitar, but great for my phono preamp.

It's gotta be a speaker designed for guitar. Jensen make nice (and cheap) guitar speakers. Lots of vintage clone amps (homebuilt and reissues, etc) use them. the site is jensentone.com.
Quote by Invader Jim
Computer speakers are "general purpose". THat's the worts class of speakers as far as guitar-related applications go.

I have an old PA speaker from the 70s that my school threw away, and it's ass for guitar, but great for my phono preamp.

It's gotta be a speaker designed for guitar. Jensen make nice (and cheap) guitar speakers. Lots of vintage clone amps (homebuilt and reissues, etc) use them. the site is jensentone.com.

how many inches would be ideal? I'd think it's would be like 8" or something.. Would this be OK?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-MOD820-20W-8-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665015
super cheap for any guitar related gear IMO.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
should build one in a guitar case and go play on the side of a road
Ibanez.
I seen that PS1 build on the net too. I have an old PS1 somewhere, but also have a xbox I never use anymore. I am thinking that would be a good enclosure to build into, but have a output for like a 1x12 cab or something. I am envisioning a xbox with VJ guts and tubes sitting atop the enclosure?!? hummm....
well I'm thinking of building a little gem, but really I don't know what a lug is, don't understand that schematic at all and don't know how to ask for the parts.
I'm really a n00b at this

some kind of real image of the circuit may help or idk
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It's the sound of Satan himself ripping through the electronics in the guitar....

It's a pinch harmonic, dude.
Quote by apak
how many inches would be ideal? I'd think it's would be like 8" or something.. Would this be OK?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-MOD820-20W-8-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665015
super cheap for any guitar related gear IMO.

8 could work. You'll have a hard time finding a quality speaker of anything smaller.

I've heard good things about the MOD series.
Quote by CesarRoks
well I'm thinking of building a little gem, but really I don't know what a lug is, don't understand that schematic at all and don't know how to ask for the parts.
I'm really a n00b at this

some kind of real image of the circuit may help or idk

a lug is a point where a few things are all connected. Like on a pot, there are ground lugs on top of pots and on an output jack, there is a ring lug, sleeve lug, etc. And a zigzag is a resistor. Two parallel lines w/ a break like -| |- is a cap i believe. Upside down triangle or a triangle shape made of a few horizontal lines is a ground. a sideways triangle is an operational amplifier. a resistor sign with an arrow pointing at it is a pot.

All symbols most likely have a number for a value ie. .01 uF for a cap, or there will be a parts list with numbers like C1, C2, R1, R2, etc. Those are easy to follow. Jim you should make a sticky of how to read schems or add it to the tut thread. It would be real helpful to noobs like him and me. As for PC boards, I have no idea how they work...

EDIT: here's a list:
forgot about inductors and diodes. Those are it. I have absolutely no clue of what the stuff on the right is. here's the link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4596877_read-electronic-schematics.html
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack