Hey everyone, I am currently shopping for another guitar and the prices to get a solid decent guitar is really getting me down. It got me thinking about building my own one day. I have never really built anything outside of my computer, which means my first attempt is almost guaranteed to fail. Before I start, I have some questions.

I would first like to pick up a couple books and read up on the basics I would need to build a guitar. Can anyone recommend any good introductory books on woodworking, electrical work, or any other skills I would want to start building?

Also, what kind of money will I end up spending on materials and parts to build a top notch guitar? Will it end up cheaper? or would it just be better to go buy the rest of my guitars? I have plenty of time on my hands.
Not sure if they have this, but
Guitar Building For Dummies.
You can always trust that series of stuff for dummies books.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by metal-matt
Google is your friend.

oh cool, i had never heard of google before. This might be a new record for me, a useless prick after only 1 other post! Anyway, I am asking here because I trust the people on these boards more than I trust google. If you think all books on every subject are the same, you should try opening one.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
oh cool, i had never heard of google before.

Really? You can't be serious.

Is Google in US too? I've always wondered that. If you put in google.com, it takes you to google.ca

I guess Google is another awesome Canadian thing.
Quote by guitarcam123
^ your joking right?

No ****... Well, about TS not knowing about google yes, but the rest, was no joke.

I've always wondered that, but never tried to figure it out.
^ummmm.... wow
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
^ummmm.... wow

wow what?

Is this about the me not knowing US had Google?

I think the US should be banned from Google, and have to use Altivista!

Quote by guitarcam123
you mean you think that canada is the only country with google?

Used to.
Quote by guitarcam123
how long ago did you realise that every other country in the world also had google?

About 4 minutes...
uhmmm, did you CLICK on the link?
anyway, look online, there are PDF's and ebooks, and forums, and blogs, and all that crap about guitar building.

look around, FOR YOURSELF, dont get others to do it for you.

this is a building forum, so why dont you ask about problems you may have?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
uhmmm, did you CLICK on the link?
anyway, look online, there are PDF's and ebooks, and forums, and blogs, and all that crap about guitar building.

look around, FOR YOURSELF, dont get others to do it for you.

this is a building forum, so why dont you ask about problems you may have?

I've answered your question already, gtfo out of the thread if you have a problem, go do something brootalz for a while. I'm looking for PERSONAL opinions from members of a forum that I TRUST.
if you pm bv180 he has a PDF file.
If you look through Skeet UK's threads he recently posted a 62 page website of a build.
And look at ormsby guitar's vine build and multiscale videos on youtube.
Stewmac and LMII also have lots of tutorials and info etc.

If you want to buy a book check out Melvyn Hiscocks book: build your own electric guitar
Quote by guitarcam123

If you want to buy a book check out Melvyn Hiscocks book: build your own electric guitar

^^^^thank you very much. Hey, look at that, a personal recommendation from a member of this fine forum.
Quote by guitarcam123
If you look through Skeet UK's threads he recently posted a 62 page website of a build.

Don't you mean bv310?
Quote by guitarcam123

What's the PDF file of? You're not talking about the CADs of bodies and stuff are you?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

As much as I hate to jump on this... the searchbar really could have helped you.

Like here, and here, and probably this one, too..

This was accomplished by searching "guitar building book" and clicking shit 8 times.

How can we help you if you won't even help yourself?

The successful completion of a project as large as an entire guitar from scratch requires the desire to learn, and the ability to learn things for yourself. Consider what you're getting into and do a bit of research, but don't hesitate to ask questions.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You should search around on the net, there's an ass-load of info if you snoop around a little.

Here are a few books a have, which I bought for school (studying in lutherie) so I know the teachers aren't just wasting our money:

-Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock, mostly for electric guitars and bass. Shows you different techniques and has 3 differents builds in it. Also has an electronics section.

-Guitar Making: Tradition and Technology, by William Cumpiano and Jonathan Natelson, this is a very complete book for classical and acoustic guitars. This one is considered the Bible of lutherie.

-Guitar Finishing Step-by-Step, by Dan Erlewine. Great book if you need info on finishing. Explains everything you need to know from the type/brand of sand-paper to use to finish recipes to buffing.

-GuitarPlayer Repair Guide, by Dan Erlewine. I suggest this as a must have book to everyone who is a serious player. The content of this one has a multitude of repair, ranging from a simple string change to a professional job. If you're a hands-on kind of guy and aren't afraid of trying simple repairs for yourself, this is a must. Repairs are graded from Basic to DIY to Deep. I must say though that repair aren't exactly reated as they should be, some easier than they are some harder.

This should be a pretty complete list for now. Enjoy your reading!

Edit: BTW, Timbit you should calm down a little or rethink some of your posts. This is the second thread I've seen you messing around in. Please if you don't have anything good to add to threads stop spamming in them.
Last edited by velly69 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Albino_Rhino
As much as I hate to jump on this... the searchbar really could have helped you.

Like here, and here, and probably this one, too..

This was accomplished by searching "guitar building book" and clicking shit 8 times.

How can we help you if you won't even help yourself?

As you can see, I got three responses to my question very quickly, and I didn't even need to use the clunky search bar, or sift through other posts!

EDIT: I also make a seperate post to make sure I get exactly the info I need. I'm not just looking for a "how to build a guitar" book. I am also looking for general woodworking and electric. But I understand where your coming from, thank you everyone who helped me out here.
Last edited by pENTAcUBE at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by timbit2006
No ****... Well, about TS not knowing about google yes, but the rest, was no joke.

I've always wondered that, but never tried to figure it out.

Dude you've been trolling constantly

Do us all a favour and just GTFO

*reported*
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Jul 24, 2009,
Well, after reading the first parts of the PDF file Skeet UK posted it is very clear I will have no real chance at building my own guitar (yet). A professional carpenter with years of experience said it was a very challenging and very expensive project. I'm just going to go for the middle of the road guitar I was looking at and make it a sure thing. Thank you for all those who participated in the thread.
It is very expensive, but not that challenging. Maybe if you want to make a 10k dollar guitar, yeah, but I'm building a guitra whith little experience in woodworking, and with limited/all the wrong tools.

Going well so far.
Quote by guitarcam123
no, he has a PDF File of a guitar build

And templates. And a good video on finishing I can link you.

Also, Hiscock's book is pretty good. There's a few good youtube vids as well.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.