Page 1 of 2
Seriously, I hate it.

But I suppose it's only to be expected from the generation which invented what I like to call the ''remedial-culture''.

Don't you remember being in highschool, where your popularity rose in proportion to your low I.Q ?

Anyways, that's why Im not surprised that nearly everyone I talk to will answer me with ''lol'' atleast half the time. Because it makes a convenient shortcut for typing out or vocalizing a response which might require from them the staggering sum total of a single iota of thought.

By the way... ''inb4 predictable lol posts''

Thoughts ?
Lo...q

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Maybe you shouldn't hang out with idiots?

lol
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
lol
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
roflcopter
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
lol.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
wat

Also, I think your over analyzing LOL, it's just a shortcut. Does that mke me a bad person for using it? I hope so...
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
I'd rather hang out with someone who says, "lol," than somebody who would sit there and look down on others for retarded reasons. I'm guessing other people feel the same way. I think I just figured out the popularity thing you were talking about.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i use lol to express laughter but i will never put just it as a response. that kinda angers me too
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
oMGWTFBBQ!
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Jul 24, 2009,
You mean in real life? If so, then yeah, that is extremely lame.
But on the computer, I think it's fine.
Sending a dummy to my God.

Quote by DrkSideOfTheSun
Would you prefer we said "I am laughing out loud"?

I'd prefer it.

Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by larrytheguitar
roflcopter

ROFLCOPTER FTW!!

TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I don't really mind it on the internet or in a text message, but I think it's kind of annoying when people say it when I talk to them in person, and they actually mean it...
Saint Louis Blues
ok on a computer...i usually say "haha" so i dont sound like a prick. I cant stand people who say "lol" in real life...thats f*ckin stupid
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Like, it matters so little to me that I can't even be assed to finish this senten
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
its one letter shorter than haha, thus allowing someone to know that you think what has been said/done is funny one letter quicker. If using shortcuts is bad in a textual conversation is bad, than you should type "intelligence quotient" instead of IQ before insulting said users of the abbreviation "lol".

BUT... if you're talking about people who actual verbalize "L-O-L", than yes i agree with you, that pisses me off too.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Well, it's a slightly less awkward way of saying "I find humour in something that was recently said". And doesn't mean quite the same thing as actually laughing, or posting a . I can't say I'm bothered by it, and I don't think you can say people only say it because they're not as smart as you.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I think its somewhat sarcastic. because nobody actually laughs out loud over the internet.
except for when i read the responses to this thread.
epic lulz
lol

Actually I hate it when people say lawl or l-o-l in an actual conversation. I'm with you, friend
Quote by Uber Man
well, i only say L.O.L. as sarcasm or for comic effect by poking fun at myself.... sigh.. im not the coolest person.

EDIT you are talking about verbally saying lol right?

Im actually talking about when they say it on the computer AND in real life.

Obviously it's much worse when they verbalise it. It's still this rightly irritating when all someone has to say to whatever statement/comment/query you're making is ''lol''. Honestly, it's like an epidemic of social and intellectual myopia and it is driving me mad. I feel like Im on a deserted island.

EDIT: to be perfectly clear; Im referring to when people use ''lol'' to something you say when its nowhere near funny. Things that are either serious, inquisitive, skeptical, sad, etc etc.

For instance...

''Next summer, I might head west on a motorcycle with a friend and write down what I see in a journal. I heard Ché Guevara did a similar thing in his youth with a good friend''

The answer: ''lol''
Last edited by Rising at Jul 24, 2009,
yeah cause laughin is wrong, even fake internet laughin
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
allow me to redirect the direction of this thread...

wat
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I hate it too. I never say lol. It's a horrible attempt at conversing and basically says,"okay, what you just said I didn't give a rats ass about, so I'm just going to reply with the most unintelligible meme ever".
Quote by aig91
I hate it when it's spoken. It makes the person talking look like an idiot. I don't think it really matters if someone types "lol." But, that's just my opinion.

It's more when you know they aren't really laughing and are really just too lazy to move their fingers a few measely inches to speak their mind on what is really going on in a conversation.
Quote by Rising
It's more when you know they aren't really laughing and are really just too lazy to move their fingers a few measely inches to speak their mind on what is really going on in a conversation.

oh yea, I know what you mean. It's generally when someone feels as though they should respond to something you've just said but can't think of anything worth typing, so they say lol.

I generally only use lol only when something is actually fairly funny.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I'd rather hang out with someone who says, "lol," than somebody who would sit there and look down on others for retarded reasons. I'm guessing other people feel the same way. I think I just figured out the popularity thing you were talking about.

Well, I guess I've always been the kind of person almost insultingly indifferent to the issues which drive people mad, and absolutely sincere to the things most people have no care for.

Oh, and I've never really liked people either, so I guess I can't argue that either.
Page 1 of 2