Page 1 of 2
Why are body blanks so expensive? And are there any alternatives? They're like $200 dollars on Stew Mac. Is their somewhere else to get them where they're less expensive? Looking for Alder if that helps.
GEAR

Fender Telecaster Standard
Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
if you have a lumber yard near you, you can sometimes get boards that fit about 3 body blanks in it for like $30 (if you have a good one that is)

What country are you in?
In the US but there are no lumber yards near me.
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
Quote by TheElectricity
In the US but there are no lumber yards near me.

There probably are, you just haven't looked.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

well I find it hard to believe that you can't find any lumber in the US.
When you buy wood for guitars, it doesn't have to be bought from a luthier site and/ or called a body blank. Google Hardwood, Exotic Lumber etc. As soon as anything is sold on a luthier site the price triples.
Well if there are then I haven't seen them but you're right I haven't looked but I swear I don't remember seeing one.
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
Quote by TheElectricity
Well if there are then I haven't seen them but you're right I haven't looked but I swear I don't remember seeing one.

It doesn't make sense...
If you haven't seen one, how can you remember not seeing one?
That's like saying bananas eat apples.
Does not work.
..I was watching my death.
So what is the deal with the wood I need. Does it need any kind of conditioning or something. And I fourteen so I don't have a job. I need cheap wood is what I'm saying.
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
Um, they aren't $200. They're about $80...

Carvin has them for cheaper, around $60.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by timbit2006
It doesn't make sense...
That's like saying bananas eat apples. only canada has google
Does not work.

TS, have a look in a phone book. You actually need to do some searching yourself before asking others
Quote by TheElectricity
So what is the deal with the wood I need. Does it need any kind of conditioning or something. And I fourteen so I don't have a job. I need cheap wood is what I'm saying.

You can get a job if your 14.
Go be a cherry picker, or an apple picker, or any other type of picker. Pear picker, nose picker, I don't really care.
Theres always jobs available there.
Quote by timbit2006
It doesn't make sense...
That's like saying bananas eat apples.
Does not work.

You're right it doens't make sense. It was on purpose, part of my sinister plot to confuse you all. MUWHAAHAHA
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
@guitarcam123

Hahaha... Very funny.

Quote by TheElectricity
You're right it doens't make sense. It was on purpose, part of my sinister plot to confuse you all. MUWHAAHAHA

That made less sense than what you said before!
Quote by timbit2006
You can get a job if your 14.
Go be a cherry picker, or an apple picker, or any other type of picker. Pear picker, nose picker, I don't really care.
Theres always jobs available there.

No theres not, I suggest you stop giving out all of this bad advice.

Did you have a job at 14? Are you 14 yet?

When your 14 you don't really want a job. You don't really need the money, you don't have rent etc to pay.

TS could try and get a job if he wants to but maybe he doesn't want a job or the place he wants to get a job at are not hiring. The legal age to get a job in AUS is 14 & 9 months so you can't even get a job at 14. I don't know about the age for the US, but getting any random job is not always practical.
Exactly timbit. And if you aren't going to post stuff thats helpful then don't post and leave me to my supposedly idiotic self that apparently looks nothing up for his self before asking. You all shouldn't assume these things.
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
LOL @ cam, sigged

EDIT: it didnt work, how did u do the strikeout?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by guitarcam123

When your 14 you don't really want a job. You don't really need the money, you don't have rent etc to pay.

TS could try and get a job if he wants to but maybe he doesn't want a job or the place he wants to get a job at are not hiring. The legal age to get a job in AUS is 14 & 9 months so you can't even get a job at 14. I don't know about the age for the US, but getting any random job is not always practical.

In Kelowna, there's lots of orchards, meaning lots of job positions. Btw, I'm 15, and am already in debt, 990 dollars.(got 5 months to come up with the money)

In Canada, I don't believe there is a legal age to get a job. If you are under 14, you have to get a parents consent.
well there you go, looks like your the one who needs a job

Quote by blindsagacity
LOL @ cam, sigged

EDIT: it didnt work, how did u do the strikeout?

insert sentence here
How the hell does a 15 year old get in $1000 debt? are you not paying off a drug lord?
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by guitarcam123
well there you go, looks like your the one who needs a job

insert sentence here

Mhm. That's true. I plan on getting one for the start of school. To much is happening this summer. I'd have to take 3 weeks vacation. My sisters wedding, Yearly Vacation, Weekend camping... Just wouldn't work out.

However, If I get a job at the start of the school year, then I have an excuse for not doing homework...
Quote by blindsagacity
How the hell does a 15 year old get in $1000 debt? are you not paying off a drug lord?

It just sorta happened. No drugs. I don't do them.

the 990 is for a guitar. I somehow ordered it from a music store, without knowing, but thank god he said it wasn't coming in untill 5 months.

I have a master plan to pay it all off... Don't worry.
I could explain it to you if you want...

EDIT:
Quote by Invader Jim
Don't make me get out the banhammer...

Damnit!
I've always wanted to know what happens when your banned, but I don't really want to get banned. That would just plain suck.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by TheElectricity
Exactly timbit. And if you aren't going to post stuff thats helpful then don't post and leave me to my supposedly idiotic self that apparently looks nothing up for his self before asking. You all shouldn't assume these things.

He was right about you being able to get a job. If you really wanted the money you would be able to find one. But you should look up lumber, hardwoods, etc in your phone book and you'll find some places I bet. You need to be looking for 6-8% moisture for woods. It's called dried or kiln dried sometimes.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by Invader Jim
Srsly, timbit, you need to research your responses before you post.

I didn't really say much relevant to this thread though. I don't see how this applies...
But that doesn't matter.
^ For real. My brother Jim hit the nail on the head.

If you're under 16 you need a child work permit to work legally in Canada. I would know, I have a couple permits in the mail right now for my new jobs.

As for body blanks, I can fully understand that you don't have any lumber, I don't have any lumber yards near me either. They're in the phone book but they don't have what I need.

Anyway, the reason they are so expensive is because are tested by a luthier to ensure they have good tonal qualities... at least for some places.

As for the others, it's merely retail mark-up.

Good luck getting wood.

lol

And in all seriousness, talk to some wood suppliers here on UG. We have a few very helpful members who will send guitar wood to you at a lower price than internet stores, if you still can't find a sawmill or lumberyard by scoping the yellow pages.

EDIT:

Quote by timbit2006
I didn't really say much relevant to this thread though. I don't see how this applies...
But that doesn't matter.

Then why did you post at all?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
you could just ask your parents to drive you out to where there is trees (and no people that will see you, LOL.) and go chop one up...

but eh, idk if you would be able to find good wood.
and it would need to be dried, ect.

so, look around, try to find a lumber yard. thats next on my to-do list when i have money.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Then why did you post at all?

Now, I contributed.

TS, I did a bit of research, and there is more than 3 lumber yards in your area.
http://www.meeks.com/ -In Anderson

ANDERSON LUMBER 4290 ROSEVILLE RD
NORTH HIGHLANDS, CA
95660-5710
Phone: 916-481-2220

http://www.webclassifieds.us/312159/Lumber-Yard--Wholesale-Wood-Supplier-NJ.html

that's only three of all of them.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by metal-matt
you could just ask your parents to drive you out to where there is trees (and no people that will see you, LOL.) and go chop one up...

but eh, idk if you would be able to find good wood.
and it would need to be dried, ect.

so, look around, try to find a lumber yard. thats next on my to-do list when i have money.

Then he'll have to resaw it, stack it right then leave it sit to dry for 2 years.
Then most of it will curl and crack making it unusable
body blanks run from 40-200+ dollars depending on the wood used, the style (laminate strips, single piece blank, etc) and are expensive for a number of reasons... (which reminds me there's a ton of 2" thick quartersawn sapele that would make great single piece bodies... anybody interested?).

reason 1) price of raw stock. Wood is not cheap even when it's raw stock, purchased by the board foot. Some wood runs around $3-5 a board foot, which is inexpensive, up to $100 a board foot (yup, you heard me). A body blank typically runs about 4 board feet (2" thick, 20" long on left side, 18" long on right side, 14" wide total) so if you do the math at $5/bf, you're looking at 20 dollars in RAW STOCK. This is straight from the saw mill.

reason 2) staying along these lines, when raw stock is cut, it's cut oversize. 8/4" stock will result in about 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" thick. It's lumpy, bumpy and ugly. Cut the blank on your 100-$1500 table saw (depending on how much you want to spend) into the lengths you want. Now, invest 300-1500 into a good planer, cut this stock down to 1 3/4" for blank purposes... you just lost about 1/2" of wood to the shopvac gods... but your initial wood investment hasn't changed. Now, take that piece of wood that took (let's just say) 5 minutes to lay out and cut on your table saw and 20 minutes to cut on your planer and spend another 10 minutes cleaning up the edges with your 100-1000 dollar jointer, spend another 20 minutes truing up the edges better with a hand plane and 15 minutes gluing and clamping the pieces together to make your blank... you've got over an hour invested just truing and gluing up stock material and invested hundreds or thousands of dollars in equipment to do so...

so to answer your question - why are they expensive? the answer is wood isn't cheap, time and machinery aren't free and money doesn't grow on trees... I'll be the first to admit that I make a profit on fretboard blanks that I sell... I have to. I didn't start a business to lose money - i started it to make back some of the thousands of dollars I have invested in my guitar shop.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 24, 2009,
its a good idea to have a big jointer to flatten one side before putting it through the thicknesser. You always run the risk of the wood getting screwed up in the thicknesser if one side is not already flat.
Quote by guitarcam123
its a good idea to have a big jointer to flatten one side before putting it through the thicknesser. You always run the risk of the wood getting screwed up in the thicknesser if one side is not already flat.

Don't you mean planer?
Quote by timbit2006
Don't you mean planer?

Same thing brah.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

they mean the same thing

EDIT: salsa & cam beat me to it
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

blindsagacity, You got my quote wrong. It's supposed to be
It doesn't make sense...
That's like saying bananas eat apples. only canada has google
Does not work.

The bold stuff is supposed to be the cross out.
lol theres no bold can we stop with the offtopic chat
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by guitarcam123

Here to get a job you mustve bee 18
Page 1 of 2