Will this work?
okay, we are starting a band but we are all like 15 and cant get job so a PA is out of the question for now...and we practice saturday...
The drummer has a mic and he plugged it into his guitar amp...he has a 26 watt SS Peavey amp...
he said it worked but, will this break the amp...
we need the singer to compete with drums...
I have a 100 watt SS amp that i dont use, would that be better than the peavey?
it has 2 8 inch speakers?
will plugging a mic into it break my amp?
if not, what are some eq settings that would be good for vocals?
No, it won't break your amp.

Yes, 100 watts is louder than 26 watts.

15 is old enough to get a job.

Start with flat eqs, then work from there on what you want. A touch of reverb or delay sounds good too if your amp has it.

You are singing out of a guitar amp, so everyone may not be able to hear the vocals all the time, you have to live with that.

I would reccommend not using a tube amp, keep it solid state.
middle heavy.. volume as much as as possible before gain settings.. reverb it
It probably won't break it if you don't blast the volume/gain or any of the eq. I am in pretty much the same situation as you, and we just plug a mic into my acoustic amp...its not very loud, but it works I guess.

Eq it all flat, and you really probably won't need/want to adjust it much. If you are worried, start with the bass almost completely taken out, and slowly add it in until it sounds ok. The main thing is that since it's an electric guitar amp, it will probably sound a little weird because of how the amp processes the sound.

Just be careful and you should be fine...probably worst case you will just blow the speaker and have to get it replaced, but I doubt it.

Also, as far as eq settings that work go...if you were pluging it into a PA system, it completely depends on who is singing. Generally for a dude, you are going to want to reduce the bass a bit, and increase the higher pitches a little. For a girls, it would usually be the opposite. But you know, it depends on the voice.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Lukesterspy at Jul 24, 2009,
15 isnt old enough where i live...unless you are like super poor...
and thanks for the help...my amp has a chorus...will that do anything useful?
and no way, I wont even let my classic 30 ride in the trunk so a mic is not touching "clarise"!
Chorus probably wouldn't do much since all it is basically doing is taking the sound, and making it sound like there are two of it playing/singing. It might be a cool effect for some songs though. Try it and see if you like it.

Edit: Lol, you named your amp Clarise. That's awesome :P.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Lukesterspy at Jul 24, 2009,
As far as eqs go it depends on what your singer sounds like. If he's a really high singer, probably a little more bass than treble so that youre not dealing with alot of high-end feedback. If theyre a really low singer, Vice-Versa.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
Have a read of a guide to PA in the columns to get an idea of what you are aiming for. This means that as you buy bits and pieces you don't waste money on stuff you later have to upgrade.

You won't break an amp by putting vocals through it but it might not sound too good. The solid state amp is likely to have a flat response which is what you want and so long as the two eights can handle 100W this will be good.

The secret of good practice is to keep the volume low. You have correctly identified that you need to match the drummer but they must not be too loud (I hear ironic laughter here) the whole point of practicing together is to listen to each other and work together.

Good luck, have fun.