so in summer school today (yeah i failed geometric proofs so im in for that, laugh it up if you want, or just see how pointless geometric proofs are) so anyways i told a fellow classmate that i wasn't bull****ting her on a question with a ridicules answer, and my teacher got pissed at me, so im wondering why are swear words offensive to people? i find them as everyday words.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Zaphikh
For the same reason that the sky is blue.

Light scattering? i dont think so lol

edit... darn it you changed your answer.
Quote by Zaphikh
For the same reason that the Earth is round, TS.

Cause of gravitational forces? still dont think so lol.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Not sure. Still trying to figure that one out.

Listen to my covers here.

"Some even claim that I'm a terror, a dictator and they're right." - Lou Reed

AK-ROWDY
There are a lot of norms in our society that don't make sense, having "bad words" is one of them.

Words can't be bad, they're just words. Words can only be used to convey ideas, and it's the idea or the context that can be offensive, in which case any word can be used offensively. I think it's mostly the older generations that have it set in there minds since childhood that swear words sound dirty or offensive.

People should check out the video of Frank Zappa on Crossfire back in the 80's, it's a great video, Frank just owns a bunch of morons who want to push censorship of music on the country.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Hobble
There are a lot of norms in our society that don't make sense, having "bad words" is one of them.

Words can't be bad, they're just words. Words can only be used to convey ideas, and it's the idea or the context that can be offensive, in which case any word can be used offensively. I think it's mostly the older generations that have it set in there minds since childhood that swear words sound dirty or offensive.

People should check out the video of Frank Zappa on Crossfire back in the 80's, it's a great video, Frank just owns a bunch of morons who want to push censorship of music on the country.

/thread
Quote by selibucaz
Light scattering? i dont think so lol

Cause of gravitational forces? still dont think so lol

If they weren't so crass they wouldn't hold much meaning, would they?
Quote by Zaphikh

If they weren't so crass they wouldn't hold much meaning, would they?

??? i dont know what you ment but it seams your not getting the joke?
Quote by Suffrin

Quote by srv_king
geometric proofs are damn hard

yeah they are
Quote by Suffrin

Quote by Zaphikh
For the same reason that the Earth is round, TS.

gravity?

but swear words are bad because they were invented to be bad.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
because there meaning is held, to be used in situations of extreme.

a gentleman does not swear. you sir are a vulgar discombobulation
Nothing exists there is no you, no me . . .
Quote by Cade_nickels
because there meaning is held, to be used in situations of extreme.

a gentleman does not swear. you sir are a vulgar discombobulation

lol okay mr censorship edit, yes i see sarcasm (if your using it)
Quote by Suffrin

Quote by Hobble

i am watching that right now. you know what your talking about, so i crown you as thread king (or queen), and thread winer lol.
Quote by Suffrin

It's the same reason you don't see people screwing their granddaughters, it's not considered socially acceptable.

It's a societal norm, just some (like swear words) are more pointless than others.
Quote by Fardarkcrow
I don't know and i don't care but the thing is I'm not going to stop saying them.

This
Needs a new sig

Scandanavian Metal > American Thrash/Groove> Everything Else

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
i do know the origin of s**t. it comes from when America was still new and the British were sending over goods and also cow manure which was used in crops. blah blah blah. basically they didnt want to have the maure in the bottom of the boat because if it got wet it smelt even worse so they put a stamp on there that said S.H.I.T which ment Ship High In Transport....
Quote by runx2xthehills
i do know the origin of s**t. it comes from when America was still new and the British were sending over goods and also cow manure which was used in crops. blah blah blah. basically they didnt want to have the maure in the bottom of the boat because if it got wet it smelt even worse so they put a stamp on there that said S.H.I.T which ment Ship High In Transport....

That's a joke.
Quote by runx2xthehills

Quote by wikipedia

the word is likely derived from Old English, having the nouns scite (dung, attested only in place names) and scitte (diarrhoea), and the verb scītan (to defecate, attested only in bescītan, to cover with excrement); eventually it morphed into Middle English schītte (excrement), schyt (diarrhoea) and ****en (to defecate), and it is virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire.

Wrong.
they are only bad when you say them to people who are A) nuns or B) extremely sensitive
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
This: Swears/curses are OATHS. Biblically, oaths were forbidden; saying the Lords name in vain or similar exclamations. Oaths are considered to be taboo when they are promises, also, because people usually don't live up to them.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

actually this made me think...

was the original curse words actually created as a word to curse somebody in old times?

sounds like it could be true.

otherwise i dont understand how the english language has a certain small amount of words that were created and recognized from everybody as bad..
The word you're all looking for is taboo.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I don't think they are. You're the one giving them the power to be offensive. They're words, they can't attack you, if you stop getting offended by them then there's nothing they can do to you. They're just words, collections of letters to dictate certain things in the universe.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
It's a religious thing. Profane, I believe, means against the church, or out of church.

So profanity, is "that which is against the church."

So to use profanity is to...well you get it.

But seriously, since North America is too self-centered around itself, they figure "hey, if a word is bad for a christian, it might as well be bad for everyone, cause everyone else is christian too, right?"

Technically, being an athiest, I can swear at will. But since everyone around you probably isn't, it's not considered polite to insult them by using these words.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” -Winston Churchill
This one.
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.