Ok, so lately I've been looking to upgrade my squire strat, which is a lefty btw.
Bit of a noobish question, Are pickups built to be specifically for a left or right handed guitar or are the inter-changeable? If yes, that would make my search so much easier but if not, oh well
they are made to be used for the different dexterities, but people like hendrix used righty pups even though they were lefties. And if you want a lefty pup, GFS makes a hendrix set. Its not like the pups are incompatible though, just make sure their wires are long enough
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
It doesn't matter what-so-ever. Mod away.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
The only way it would make any difference is if the pickups were staggered polepiece single coils, but there wouldn't be that much of a difference really.
Isn't there a type of pickup that requires it to be left or right? A piezo or something like that? It's the one that breaks the strings up into different frequencies, then you have a USB, or MIDI output, that goes to a computer.

I think they're on the Robot LP.
..I was watching my death.
remove the pickup, rotate it 180 degrees, then put it back in. but it wont make much of a difference since there really isnt one.

Quote by blindsagacity
they are made to be used for the different dexterities, but people like hendrix used righty pups even though they were lefties. And if you want a lefty pup, GFS makes a hendrix set. Its not like the pups are incompatible though, just make sure their wires are long enough

what? there is no such thing as righty or lefty pickups. the coil winding would still be going the same exact direction no matter how the pickup is orientated, which is why there isn't a difference.

Quote by timbit2006
Isn't there a type of pickup that requires it to be left or right? A piezo or something like that? It's the one that breaks the strings up into different frequencies, then you have a USB, or MIDI output, that goes to a computer.

I think they're on the Robot LP.

if you mean the hexaphonic pickup gibson did then i dont know but i doubt it. thats just an individual output for each string and flipping it around wouldn't change much although it is possible each individual pole (or however they do it) is wrapped differently and if that is the case then there would be a noticeable difference, but also an important caveat to remember is that guitar designers and pickup designers built it and they have more than likely set it up exactly how a hexaphonic pickup should be set up and someone who knows better probably shouldnt be flipping their hexaphonic pickup around 180 degrees.

a midi pickup does the same idea, although it interprets the vibration into data. orientating it depends infinitely more on distance from the string and location than if it is orientated "righty" or "lefty" and since it interprets everything as 1's and 0's you needn't worry about tone.
Last edited by noisefarmer at Jul 24, 2009,