so a long while back i was in the bass forum asking for advise for songs to play with my drummer friend, and they got started on stoner metal drone metal and doom metal.

so what are some good bands that play each of these genres, what are the defining characteristics of each and all that mumbo jumbo
Defining characteristics? Something in the back of my head tells me that they might play slow music

Edit: So I won't come off as a dick, what sort of other music do you play? Doom is a pretty large genre so not all of it may suit you
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jul 24, 2009,
Stoner = Slow to mid-tempo, low-tuned, high bass, grooving riffs. Kyuss and Sleep are the prime founders of it, but Goatsnake and High on Fire are great too.

Doom = Slow-tempo, low-tuned, crushing riffs. Early Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, and Trouble are well-known bands of the genre. I personally love Reverend Bizarre and Candlemass as well.

Drone = Slow, crushing riffs that lack rhythm in the traditional sense. Noisy and usually low production quality. Feedback and high reverb are present. Early Boris and Sunn O))) are your best bets.
Philosophy > Life
Last edited by MoogleRancha at Jul 24, 2009,
anything to tell the 3 of those apart? are there like varying levels of speed like doom can only contain quarter notes played at 20bpm?
Quote by kurtebirdi
anything to tell the 3 of those apart? are there like varying levels of speed like doom can only contain quarter notes played at 20bpm?

I think you're over analysing this
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
The style of all 3 are different. Just listen to the bands and you'll be able to tell them apart easily
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by MoogleRancha
Stoner = Slow to mid-tempo, low-tuned, high bass, grooving riffs. Kyuss and Sleep are the prime founders of it, but Goatsnake and High on Fire are great too.

Doom = Slow-tempo, low-tuned, crushing riffs. Early Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, and Trouble are well-known bands of the genre. I personally love Reverend Bizarre and Candlemass as well.

Drone = Slow, crushing riffs that lack rhythm in the traditional sense. Noisy and usually low production quality. Feedback and high reverb are present. Early Boris and Sunn O))) are your best bets.

i love you
Quote by kurtebirdi
i love you

Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by MoogleRancha

Do not forget Earth, who arguably outclass both bands and began the genre to start with.
Quote by raincoffin
Do not forget Earth, who arguably outclass both bands and began the genre to start with.

But in terms of what drone means to most people today, Sunn O))) would more likely pop up more often than Earth, be it for the better or worse.

I can't be bothered to write every artist of each of the genres, you know.

To be fair though, I'm bullshitting alot. Earth is obviously more influential and completely slipped my mind as I wasn't 100% focused on what I was writing.
Philosophy > Life
^ I actually like Sunn more. I just believe Earth to be better.

And yes, the words "drone" do immediately conjure up swirling clouds of fog, towering black amps and hooded robes to me as well.
Yes, please. However, I excluded them solely because they cross-over to almost all three of those, and would not show defining factors in the individual genres themselves.
Philosophy > Life
For Funeral Doom, you need to listen ito Ahab.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.