Firstly, this is a picture of the bass I am talking about:

A Mexican made Fender P Bass Deluxe.
I have owned this bass for a while now and am glad I bought it as a good contrast to the others I have etc. etc. etc...

What I am thinking is a bit of an upgrade with these specs:
-New tunung pegs with a D-tuner on the E
-Added J pickup at the neck position (could cause problems with the electronics and the pickup blender?)
-Kahler Tremelo Bridge

Thoughts, ideas, critisisms?

I ask here instead of the customising thread because I want the opinions of people who know more about bass guitars than simply what goes where.

Thanks
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
the only problem would be the electronics setup for the 3rd pickup. you would either need 3 volume pots(sounds like simplest way to me) or maybe a 5 way pickup switch or something along those lines. it's doable but you'd have to add electronics.

The third volume knob sounds like the best way to me since i have an older pbass deluxe and it has 2 volume knobs already. if yours has a blend knob you'd replace that with a volume knob for the corresponding pickup and still have to add another knob for the other pickup.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 24, 2009,
any idea if a d-tuner would be a problem with the tremelo bridge?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

actually...yes it would be a problem now that you mention it. if you detuned the string to D suddenly you'd take tension of the (assumed) floating bridge and all the strings would go sharp. sorry bout missing that.

Not much sharp...but sharp none the less.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Without knowing much about them, this is the sort of bridge I was looking at:
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

ill admit i dont know much about tremolo bridges, but i think thats a floating bridge and i think it would be quite a bit of work to put in. Youd have to gouge out the opening in the back and put in the suspense system. But im sure it could be done
Quote by FUT55
ill admit i dont know much about tremolo bridges, but i think thats a floating bridge and i think it would be quite a bit of work to put in. Youd have to gouge out the opening in the back and put in the suspense system. But im sure it could be done

yeah, If I did it, I would get it done professionally. My main concerns now are the trem with a d-tuner and the electronics needing changing/altering for an extra pickup (made more complicated because it's active?).
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Yes there will be because any tremolo setup relies on pressure from the strings and all the strings are connected via the trem, changing the tuning of one string and they all go out
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Thanks guys, I think I'll take it in to this place I know for a quote. I can give updates about what he says/price etc. if anyone is interested?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Deliriumbassist
The Kahler uses a cam system as opposed to a spring system- it's why they don't need a locking nut. There shouldn't be a problem with a D-tuner on the same bass.

nifty information...maybe i should look into these kahlers a bit more...
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I say changing all your pickups to seymour duncans, i own the SPB-3 P bass and it is awsome :O, tremo on bass? When i first saw these on custom options on Warwick i was like WTF!?, I suppose it would sound amazing and possibably make people throw up at like 100db in drop c!

As for the electronics, I'm sure the pro's ur going to will know what to do, I would say either have a 3 band eq fitted, eg a seymour duncan set up of pickups and electronics... this way you can get the most out of the bass tone wise... look at the Fender Stu-hammer bass for an example otherwise, cause thats the set up ur going to end up with for electronics.

I think those drop-d tuners aren't good enough yet, they're too much fathing for what they're worth, just have a boss tu-2 infront of u, stomp, tune, stomp, play... 2 second job.
Quote by JabyMason
I say changing all your pickups to seymour duncans, i own the SPB-3 P bass and it is awsome :O, tremo on bass? When i first saw these on custom options on Warwick i was like WTF!?, I suppose it would sound amazing and possibably make people throw up at like 100db in drop c!

As for the electronics, I'm sure the pro's ur going to will know what to do, I would say either have a 3 band eq fitted, eg a seymour duncan set up of pickups and electronics... this way you can get the most out of the bass tone wise... look at the Fender Stu-hammer bass for an example otherwise, cause thats the set up ur going to end up with for electronics.

I think those drop-d tuners aren't good enough yet, they're too much fathing for what they're worth, just have a boss tu-2 infront of u, stomp, tune, stomp, play... 2 second job.

Thanks for the advice, It's appreciated.
I'm happy with the Fender pickups on the bass as they give a nice wide range of tones, most of which I can't get from any of my other basses.
I was planning on keeping the 3 band eq that is already in, I'd ahte to be without an eq on board after having one in all of my useable basses for a while now.
Also the d-tuner is probably the least likely to happen upgrade that I am considering because of the research I have done and simply because I would get limited use from it, so I may well leave that out entirely now.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid