Hey UG,

My band is thinking of going to a studio to get some good quality recordings and that's gonna cost us a crapload of money. If these recordings are probably just gonna be used as demos to get gigs, would it be worth spending an extra $250 just to get them mastered?
If by mastering you mean you want the track's eq'd, compressed slightly, and made loud and punchy rather than the actual TRUE definition of what mastering is (which involves much more and I can't be bothered to go into it right now) I'd be happy to "master" your demo for a much smaller fee. It's some pocket money, y'know? And you get a great sounding result for it.
I can do a 30 second sample if you like.
Upload 30 seconds of a mix for me, .wav, PM me the link and I'll get back to you.

"Mastering" in the volume sense of the word, will definately attract more attention from venues and labels and such. To most people's ears, louder is better, right? Right.
I hear a quiet mix and think "hmm." I hear that quiet mix 3-4 decibels louder I'll be all "**** YEAH."
It's just how it goes.

But yeah, get back to me.
Hey dream pin, spot on again.

If its just for dmeo stuff, go for dream pin. However, if your spending uber bucks on a recording, why not also spend the same as mastering?

This is no offence to you dream pin, u kno i like ur work. But why spend super dollars on tracking and mixing, but u dont finish the project? Just seems backwards to spend heaps on recording, then nothing on mastering. is that 250 per song for mastering or the whole record?

And also what is your definition of a crapload for tracks. A cheap studio in my opinion is around 400 dollars for 4 hours including an engineer.

Also guys please remember, im quoting in aus dollars, so thats prolly about 300 U.S for 4 hours including an engineer.
Last edited by countrychris01 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by countrychris01
Hey dream pin, spot on again.

If its just for dmeo stuff, go for dream pin. However, if your spending uber bucks on a recording, why not also spend the same as mastering?

This is no offence to you dream pin, u kno i like ur work. But why spend super dollars on tracking and mixing, but u dont finish the project? Just seems backwards to spend heaps on recording, then nothing on mastering. is that 250 per song for mastering or the whole record?

And also what is your definition of a crapload for tracks. A cheap studio in my opinion is around 400 dollars for 4 hours including an engineer.

Hmm well since we're spending uber bucks on recording, we won't have any money left for anything. It's 250 for 2 songs for mastering, which is all we can afford to record.

And since we're not earning any money in the first place, we'll be spending around half a grand for 20 hours and 2 tracks. That does seem really cheap compared to 400 for 4 hours, but since we're pretty much not earning any money at this point, it does seem like alot of money to us.

But we're catching onto the idea of spending money to make money =P

EDIT: This is AUD as well.
Last edited by denfilade at Jul 24, 2009,
Wow dude. I thought we were one of the cheapest studio's in Australia. obviously we have a new winner lol. And you found a studio in sydney that cheap? Dude give me the details for personal file, lol, im thinking of moving there in a few years.

Let me explain tho, thats four hours of tracking time. We allow an extra hour for mixing and mastering(yeah we master digitally unless its a big production album or if tape is specifically requested). So ur really looking at 400 per song with us. Thats from woah to go.

In my opninion mastering is a must have, just as important as every other step. Give dream pin a go, he does good work.
Last edited by countrychris01 at Jul 24, 2009,