i feel its because to create great art be it books music painting comedy whatever your art is, to create it there usually has to be some kind of inner turmoil. or an inner conflict from which the art arises. maybe as a release or a coping mechanism or whatever. and i think some people rise above it and some are consumed by it. but youll notice the people that get clean or beat their demons.....they are rarely as good as when they were completely ****ed up inside. just my two cents.

^This^ is a reponse to:

What a sad waste; why do so many of our great talents have to die so young by wasting their lives on drugs?

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQ-bICVznc

I think while it's sad, ecrajoe has an awesome point. While some might dismiss Blind Melon as an unimportant example, there are so many others that can fit into this category. Who knows what they could've accomplished had their lead singer not been smitten by coke? They could've been a band to rival Pearl Jam, but instead they're supposedly a one-hit wonder (despite having a few songs that are better than No Rain, IMO). Just wondering what you guys think of this?
look at stevie ray vaughan. he quit drinking and drugs and came back just as good if not better. i think his album after he got clean was his best selling, im not sure though. he got his first number one hit on that record though i know that.

and look at stevie wonder. a musical icon who never got caught up in addiction. plus i doubt many composers in the classical world were addicts and they made some of the most beautiful music ever that still lives on today.

i think whoever honestly thinks they need drugs to make great music is an absolute idiot. sure a lot of great art and music comes from inner turmoil, but that doesnt mean it has to, and it doesnt mean you need drugs for this. i think people just use it as an excuse to use drugs, or maybe they want attention, or perhaps they just arent very good musicians.
Although you do find that most famous musicians are often unhappy or have been through such periods, even if they have never resorted to drink or drugs.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Drugs are neither good nor bad. Psychoactive recreational drug use is just one means of controlling your mind. Using a drug does not "fuck you up." Young lives are not "lost" when those lives start using drugs. A responsible drug user will feel bettered by their vice and will avoid most negative consequences. Whether or not a musician is sober may or may not have any bearing on their artistic output.

Please, don't give the drugs a bad name. Give the abusers the bad names.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
^^ What Demon said.

Drugs are not good or bad, they are just what they are.

Drugs could indeed be a deciding factor on what music was released, but that's all it is; 'just another factor'.

It's only considered bad, because it's not popular, thus some people are afraid of 'not knowing', and thus act the way they do.

This goes back to the middle ages (and beyond).

And to further elaborate on TS's post;

Yes there is inner turmoil.

Making music for the love of music, or for the love of being a musician as it is portrayed by society is what often causes the conflict.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by turtlewax
Although you do find that most famous musicians are often unhappy or have been through such periods, even if they have never resorted to drink or drugs.
If you can find anyone over the age of about 30 who hasn't been through some extremely crappy periods in their life I'd like to meet them and ask them what their secret is! Artists have the ability to put their feelings into their art, and share them with us, but I doubt their lives are any more traumatic than other peoples. You just don't get to hear about other peoples issues in the same way.
Quote by zhilla
If you can find anyone over the age of about 30 who hasn't been through some extremely crappy periods in their life I'd like to meet them and ask them what their secret is! Artists have the ability to put their feelings into their art, and share them with us, but I doubt their lives are any more traumatic than other peoples. You just don't get to hear about other peoples issues in the same way.

Putting True feelings in a song that is intended for the charts seems "dangerous" to me;

What if your GF breaks up with you, and you are heartbroken about it.

You write a song about it and it hits the charts. Then you will hear that everywhere on the radio.

Maybe I'm not as all other people, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be reminded everywhere in the media about the fact that I feel **** my GF left me.

I mean that's so hollywood, but seriously, do you want to be reminded that your GF broke up with you through ur song on the radio and in interviews and television?

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Putting True feelings in a song that is intended for the charts seems "dangerous" to me;
Maybe I'm not as all other people, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be reminded everywhere in the media about the fact that I feel **** my GF left me.

If I'd make millions with it...**** romance.
Quote by deHufter
If I'd make millions with it...**** romance.

Easy to say.

I mean if it is such a good and wonderful life, then why do so many artists (And famous people ) go on drugs?

Unless they genuinely like being ****ed up on drugs more then using their money

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You write a song about it and it hits the charts. Then you will hear that everywhere on the radio.

I mean that's so hollywood, but seriously, do you want to be reminded that your GF broke up with you through ur song on the radio and in interviews and television?
True lol. If I had the talent I'd probably do it but not until about 10 years after the event
In my experience of drugs, they only provide an illusion and cloud who you are. They are an 'escape', not a reality.

While a lot of great musicians have been ****ed up on drugs, I don't think drugs was what led them to greatness. Rather, drug use is often the result of greatness.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

If you don't want people to hear your feelings then don't record them via songs and release them to the public.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Easy to say.

I mean if it is such a good and wonderful life, then why do so many artists (And famous people ) go on drugs?

Unless they genuinely like being ****ed up on drugs more then using their money

we do, i mean.... they do

seriously though, you can write good music in any frame of mind. btw classical composers did use drugs as well. the only difference is that in their time it wasn't a social stigma and there weren't governing laws against it. see, way back then, people were actually free /political rant
Drugs or anything for that matter can be bad for you if you don't control your intake.

****....too much water can kill you.
Interestly enough its a statistical "fact" that famous musicians are much more likely to die at a young age than other people. I guess it makes sense when you take into account drugs, alchohol, and all the transportation.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

I believe good songs come from personal experience. You don't have to sing about your GF dumping you. But if your artistic expression is an honest portrayal of your life whether it be suffering or happiness then you have succeeded and it is more likely to connect with people on that deeper level.
Si
You dont need to be unhappy, you just have to feel strongly. Bad feelings are just more common and easiest to have
There are great musicians at all levels of happiness. The idea of this post would mis-lead someone into thinking they need to be miserable to succeed as a musician.

What good is that?

Be true to yourself.
shred is gaudy music
I'd argue that pain being required to be a great artist is somewhat redundant. Everyone experiences pain. Deep pain. Physical and emotional pain have always been and most likely (unless the Hedonistic Imperative gets its way...) will always be an integral part of the human condition.

I once heard someone say that art (the quote mentioned music specifically) is a way to share perspective. It's a glimpse into someone else's view of the world. That's stuck with me and has made the most sense to me in my life.
I have to agree with pcorey. Though I might add that music is more feeling than perspective, IMO.

I mean, if I feel down and out I'll sit down and play some slow, bluesy, morose stuff until I get in a better mood. If I'm mad, hyper, or just plain pumped I usually sit down and tear out some thrash to calm myself down. It offers me a constructive way to release my feelings without being overly peppy or suicidally depressed.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
look at stevie ray vaughan. he quit drinking and drugs and came back just as good if not better. i think his album after he got clean was his best selling, im not sure though. he got his first number one hit on that record though i know that.

and look at stevie wonder. a musical icon who never got caught up in addiction. plus i doubt many composers in the classical world were addicts and they made some of the most beautiful music ever that still lives on today.

i think whoever honestly thinks they need drugs to make great music is an absolute idiot. sure a lot of great art and music comes from inner turmoil, but that doesnt mean it has to, and it doesnt mean you need drugs for this. i think people just use it as an excuse to use drugs, or maybe they want attention, or perhaps they just arent very good musicians.

That's all true. But we're not just talking Drug Addiction, just 'Turmoil'. Like another poster said, no musician/artist is completely happy with life. Turmoil, be it inner or outer, defines us and our creations.

I doubt many people here are condoning Coke, LSD, meth; that ****s not smart. But Jimi did alright, and many stoned bands in the 60s and 70s did great. Would I give credit to the drugs. **** no. its the turmoil and experiences they cause that I credit them with creating.
***No Advertising***

Quote by Anonymous

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Drugs make you live within your own head.

Now that can be both, a good and a bad thing, but sometimes, you need a third perspective on something if you want to make art out of it. Some people are naturally gifted and can get very creative in the writing process on their own, some people liked to be hammered when they're doing it, and some people just like the idea of being blazed out of their skull. no matter what the purpose, the net effect is the same. inner conflict arises, but that is only the inspiration. the great artist needs to know how to depict that inner conflict, to be able to paint that picture or make that music.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
You don't need to have inner turmoil or a drug addiction to create art. This is a case of confusing "Correlation with causation." Its like when people do those crazy rain dances and it actually starts to rain. The two events are correlated (associated with each other), but theres no logical evidence that one actually causes the other.

Example: You can be a drunk, and make good music. Doesn't mean you make good music BECAUSE you're a drunk.

Some have mentioned most famous artists seem to have difficulty with addictions/turmoil. That is an example of two factors which are correleated, and can cause one another. Fame, or being in the public eye, is an event that is correlated with AND can cause one to dabble in substances or have intense turmoil. The stress that fame brings on is obviously an argument for casuation. However, the ability to make art, and suffering from drug addictions/turmoil, are two factors that are correlated, but show no evidence to cause one another.

Some people can sew. Some people can play baseball. Some people can create beautiful music. There is no documented evidence that those people's demeanors, addictions, or mannerisms have anything to do with what they are proficcent at. And there never will be.
Last edited by Axe720 at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by guitarp_11
That's all true. But we're not just talking Drug Addiction, just 'Turmoil'. Like another poster said, no musician/artist is completely happy with life. Turmoil, be it inner or outer, defines us and our creations.

I doubt many people here are condoning Coke, LSD, meth; that ****s not smart. But Jimi did alright, and many stoned bands in the 60s and 70s did great. Would I give credit to the drugs. **** no. its the turmoil and experiences they cause that I credit them with creating.

well im pretty sure no person alive is completely happy with life. so really whats the point of this whole thread? besdies, there are great songs and pieces of art that were made out of happiness. so i think that can show that all you need is to be an emotional being. bad feelings are just more common and easy to relate to.

humans by nature id say are artists. we all wish to create something beyond ourselves. we all wish to in some way, shape, or form express ourselves. some just take it to the next level and make it their lives. plus, good music or art depends a lot on the listener/viewer.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 26, 2009,