I'd like a serious answer to this question, because it has been bugging me for the past little while.

What will new pickups actually do to the tone of my guitar? I've been told not to install new pickups on a ****ty guitar, but I don't find my guitar ****ty at all. I'm not really "seriously" considering upgrading from my stock Ibanez pickups, but say I threw in a good set of Seymour's or DiMarzios... what effect will that have?

Oh, BTW, currently running an SS amp (I need $$$), and I play mostly metal... Dream Theater, BTBAM, Carcass... **** like that
Well if you play metal it won't make a difference, or if it did it would be lost in the mountain of gain.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Through a mediocre amp, nothing.

Through a good amp, they can change your tone fairly drastically, or subtly, depending on what is already in your guitar and what you replace them with.

Different pickups will do different things.

Quote by Akridosity
Well if you play metal it won't make a difference, or if it did it would be lost in the mountain of gain.

If you wanna bash **** go the Pit. Otherwise, GTFO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Through a mediocre amp, nothing.

Through a good amp, they can change your tone fairly drastically, or subtly, depending on what is already in your guitar and what you replace them with.

Different pickups will do different things.

If you wanna bash **** go the Pit. Otherwise, GTFO.

This

Your amp paints the big broad strokes of your tone, while your pickups help refine and add small details like a small brush
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
You probably won't notice a lot of difference if you upgrade your pickups and run it through a fairly low end SS amp.

I upgraded to EMG's in my SG and through the bugera i hear a difference for sure, but through my practice MG I don't hear any difference.

Yeah Mgs suck blah blah blah, whatever
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
you may actually look for a pickup that suits your style maybe some invaders, dimebuckers, emg etc. but I would suggest buying a better SS with great sustain for the amount of gain you are looking for.
i totally understand where ur comin from man, went through the same thing. truth is its all a bunch of bull**** about how ****y guitars dont need good pickups. put good pickups in a ****y guitar and it will drastically improve, thats what i did for my esp ltd. went from a muddy bucket of **** to an awesome sounding guitar with nothin but a pickup change.
oh and could u metal bashin ass****s go play some of ur ****y ass music and stfu please. tone is equally important to all genres