Sorry if I haven't recently returned crits, my computer has been torn up... Feel free to come and post and I will crit as soon as I read it.

Critique for Critique
PSN: RokkstarX
Live: RokkyX

All my original (C4C) material is located here.
Last edited by defiance64 at Jul 24, 2009,
So thats what kittens sound like...
...Anyway

*ahem*
ROFL.

This is beautiful!
-Intro 3 made me laugh.
-Lovin' the synth pick slide (?)
-...I knew one day there would be harmonizing bass.

Ah. this may sound a bit harsh, but the solo completely kills the mood. You had a nice buildup going there, and then BAM slow solo! in my opinion you should just cut the solo. go straight from 'The Duel' to the chorus.

-LOVE the synthy solo. great use of Chiff lead. lol
-138 was cool, but i think it needs something.
-Bah. Need a transition to your outro

Wow lol. this may be my favorite song i've found on this forum 10/10

We should start a synth band :P

*OMGEDIT?!*!!!

Ok so I listened to it again and i was wrong about the slower solo.
It does fit pretty well.

...Cheers?
Last edited by Squares at Jul 24, 2009,
LMFAO@your comment lol.

Yea I thought about that when I wrote the first solo... I was like... *MEH* lol. I love the synth solo too! The chiff lead was used pretty grealy wasn't it?? I thought about doing a super quick drum solo... (Cat stumbles into the washing machine, the wachine closes and the cat gets washed lol...)

Really? Favorite? on the whole forum? lol

And that might be fun. =]

Edit:

Eh, you learned one of my other songs by the way lol

Last edited by defiance64 at Jul 24, 2009,
What can i say. You write catchy stuff :P

And I am PRO cat getting wachined.

Perhaps to death.

*EDIT*

...I think we should start a techno/metal collab thread.Maybe not right now because it's 4:00 AM here.

But SOMEDAY.
Last edited by Squares at Jul 24, 2009,
Yes that would be very interesting, do you have an Instant Messenger or do you prefer personal messaging? I don't think we should bump the threads like this lol.

Yeah. We're Upsetting the balance.

...or something.

I don't have AIM or anything, just send me a PM ^^

...'night

*Passes out and hits head on desk.*
wow this was really good its sorta like techno metal or something i love the synth leads and the bass especially. the duel was probably my favorite part of the song. bar 17 riffs are good especialy the synth and bass. overall i cant say anthing bad about other than making the transition from riffs more smoothly. very very good song 9.9/10 -0.1 for the transition thing. amazing job

C4C? the death metal in my signature. thanks in advance
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
Wow that sounds pretty sweet, but why's it named The Cat's First Meow?
You mean it in a figural way, I suppose?

Do you have a vid/soundtrack of yourself playing this or is it just a tab for now?
Quote by Koloarie
Wow that sounds pretty sweet, but why's it named The Cat's First Meow?
You mean it in a figural way, I suppose?

Do you have a vid/soundtrack of yourself playing this or is it just a tab for now?

Well here's the thing, I have two bands, I have Left Untold, and Electronica. Left Untold is my serious project, and Electronica is like my mainstream-ish metal dance band lol. So I figured there is nothing more cliche than putting a dance-ish type sound to metal, so why not go ahead and be even goofier and name it The Cat's First Meow? lol

Also it's mostly on synthesizer if I were to perform this it would have to be one of those complicated 8 frame videos of playing all the instruments. My drummer can hit the double bass, but I don't think I'm prepared for that... lol (Rock Band is my only experience).

So no vid, but we're considering performing it at our town square, so we might just record us doing it live. =]

i can imagine playing megaman with this ''gamer'' metal, the only bad thing was the intro (before the whole band came in) and bass does a better job than anyone else, cause it is EPIC. The stop in bar 138 wasn't good at all.
8.5/10
C4C

and just a question, is it possible to play that piano solo in the piano? IDK a lot about the piano, but sounds impossible, i would love to see you playing that song live, you can perhaps send a youtube video when you and your band have it.
That was pretty freaking amazing, the solo's on the piano were amazing. I wouldnt change anything.

10\10
Quote by actaderock
i can imagine playing megaman with this ''gamer'' metal, the only bad thing was the intro (before the whole band came in) and bass does a better job than anyone else, cause it is EPIC. The stop in bar 138 wasn't good at all.
8.5/10
C4C

and just a question, is it possible to play that piano solo in the piano? IDK a lot about the piano, but sounds impossible, i would love to see you playing that song live, you can perhaps send a youtube video when you and your band have it.

It isn't possible that is supposed to be a DJ remix pad playing it, the super fast runs are like remix reverb type things. Commonly used on vocal work in Linkin Park's In The End "--...Actin' like I was part of your prop-er-ty...--". He can't sing that way in reality, it's a DJ reverb effect. So is the keyboard. Did I answer your question?

dude, i loved this so much. its so original. wow.

-sorry to start negative, but the dissonance on the keys isnt doin it for me in intro 2. you should just let the guitars do that.
-i love intro 3. track 5 is the coolest synth part EVAR
-verse 1 is amazing
-i like the little solo the bass has in bass bust
-i love the riff in the prechorus, and it sounds so much cooler when the synth comes in
-chorus is super catchy, and sounds that much better when the chiff lead comes in
-remember me and verse 2 again, very nice synth leads. sounds epic with teh double bass in the back ground!
-BASS BEAST FOR SURE. go little guy!
-HOLY CRAP EPIC DUEL IS EPIC!
-solo just ok, it fits the song well though.
-they keyboard solo has to be one of the best synth solos ive ever heard though. freakin amazing dude. im wow'd
-the outro is beautiful. perfect way to end the song.

in short, i give you an epic/10. i have never given that out before. i loved this song so much

it wont compare, but could you c4c my synthy song? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1140962
this is ****ing epic
i would change the bars 136 to 139, the rest of the song is perfect

10/10
Quote by ninja.kitty
dude, i loved this so much. its so original. wow.

-sorry to start negative, but the dissonance on the keys isnt doin it for me in intro 2. you should just let the guitars do that.
-i love intro 3. track 5 is the coolest synth part EVAR
-verse 1 is amazing
-i like the little solo the bass has in bass bust
-i love the riff in the prechorus, and it sounds so much cooler when the synth comes in
-chorus is super catchy, and sounds that much better when the chiff lead comes in
-remember me and verse 2 again, very nice synth leads. sounds epic with teh double bass in the back ground!
-BASS BEAST FOR SURE. go little guy!
-HOLY CRAP EPIC DUEL IS EPIC!
-solo just ok, it fits the song well though.
-they keyboard solo has to be one of the best synth solos ive ever heard though. freakin amazing dude. im wow'd
-the outro is beautiful. perfect way to end the song.

in short, i give you an epic/10. i have never given that out before. i loved this song so much

it wont compare, but could you c4c my synthy song? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1140962

Epic/10 For the win! lol

My friend said that he would play the second bass in the song for me if we ever played it live, he's been in 2 or 3 projects (tired), so he's reliable.. Bass Beast, and Mr Bass Precision are the same guy on the DL lol.

Intro was a little generic, but very nice. Same goes for Intro 2. Intro 3 was awesome. Verse was really good, chord progression reminded me of Aces High. Bass Bust was really cool. Remember Me? was a generic break. Bass Beast was awesome. The Duel was really great. Melody and Solo? were great. Solo was generic. Outro was really Beautiful. 9.5/10 Just because it's not my taste. But a theoretical 10.
Cheers for the crit, sorry it took me a while to get around to returning one.

The intro uses a i/VI/VII progression, which is possibly the most generic thing in the world, although it does have a great melody. The second intro wasn't anything too special, but it was used well, the sudden change in style and the use of synth in a metalcore-style riff made it interesting, and since it was only repeated a couple of times it didn't get boring. Intro 3 is awesome, I love how much there is going on. The verse has some great melodies going on as well, although unfortunately the most unoriginal chord progression in the world is still there. It's not a big problem though, it's still a great song so far.

There are lots of great riffs in there up until the Bass Beast Is Back section, after which the chord progression changed and I thought "Thank Christ". The Melody/Unexpected section was certainly an unpredictable change, and as usual has some great melodies and riffs, and would be a great contrast to the rest of the song if it wasn't for that bloody chord progression. I know it's not exactly the same, but it's close enough, I think the constant repetition of that progression that's already fairly predictable and common by itself is the only real flaw I can find in the song.

The solo? was nice, but nothing too special, it wasn't as good as the melodies the synths are playing throughout most of the song. The second, question mark-less synth solo was a really good, it had a lot of interesting things going on melodically. I'm not too sure about the sudden stop after it, but I'm not certain enough to say I don't like it, I'm just not sure about it. The outro, however, worked perfectly.

Overall I loved it, it had some great melodies and flowed really well, the only real criticism I have I've pretty much made obvious. If you're going to have almost the entire song follow a single chord progression I'd suggest using one more interesting than that one, and failing that I'd suggest bringing in the first variation in earlier, so you don't give the listener enough time to get sick of it.

Although since no-one else appears to have mentioned it, that might just be something that annoys me personally.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I thought it combined electronica with metal and funk bass really well. The bass breakdowns where the best part of the songs, but the way that you added the two synths together plus a really heavy guitar part made the song that much better. My only complaint is the "outro" part where everything cuts out except one of the synths, it was too sudden and didn't fit the mood quite right, but other than that, really, really, good.

9/10
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172471
^^^ My song.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

The chiff lead sound reminds me so much of Mario Paint, so I was lulling every time that came in.

The synth lead in the chorus is extremely catchy so good job on that. The bass breaks were sa-weet too, especially the one starting in "The Duel."

The solo is probably my favorite part of the song, aside from the chorus, but that's just because I always love when a good synth solo fits into a song.

The outro transition is pretty poor though, it's just like the song slammed into a brick wall and the only thing that got through was the square lead and even it's limping from the impact. I love how the outro sounds, just work on a smoother transition.

9/10, a point off for the outro, but everything else I can't really complain about.

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173216