Hey guys, i'm designing a 5150 rig around a loop switching system, so for clean tones the 5150 preamp will get bypassed (kinda like the 4 cables method) and another preamp will provide the cleans and then go into the 5150 return for the poweramp.

I'm thinking maybe a Tech 21 Blonde pedal set to a clean tone.
Support from Tech 21 said that weren't sure how clean it would sound coz the 5150 poweramp could distort/breakup easily. In my experience 6L6's are pretty clean and have decent headroom.

Any thoughts on this ? Can u suggest a better pedal/preamp option for clean tones with the 5150 poweramp ?

BTW, anyone use this kinda rig ?

Thanks
F
It has quite a but of headroom, I used to own one. It gets spanky, but it doesn't distort.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Thanks for the reply and the encouragement!!
So u think i'll be ok using the Tech 21 Blonde as the preamp, it has a very decent clean tone and eq.
Cool!
Get yourself a good ABY box and you can have the distorted glory of the Lead Channel With the Clarity of the Blonde.
Honestly I don't think a preamp will fix your problem, the 5150's cleans are aweful, but that has more to do with the power tube bias and crossover distortion than it does the preamp. The 5150 bias current is SO cold, its not untypical to see them as low as 17-20mAh, which is only about 40% dispensation (even the hottest tube could not warm up an amp that much). Honestly even a fender amp biased this cold would not have a good clean tone. To get out of cross over distortion you need atleast 60-70%despensation, although most people like the tone with the dipensation set around 70-80%, this give a much fuller and warmer tone without the crossover distortion. My sugjestion to you is, have a bias mod installed on your amp, ethier to make it adjustable, or a "hoter" Fixed bias.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I just brought my 6505 head into a shop (it wouldn't turn on) and the dude gave it a hotter fixed bias and it sounds waaayyyyyyyy better. You should do it regardless of whether or not you want cleans.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Would a hotter Bias solve my problem ? I'm not expecting the 5150 clean channel to become gorgeous, but would the hotter Bias make the poweramp cleaner for other preamps (tech 21?)

I do have a tech around here who understands tube amps, but is there any documentation or procedure i can share with him ?
^As far as fixing the Bias, the 5150 cleans will become similar to a triple X, not quite as good because of the lack of a separate EQ, but MUCH better and more usable, the OD gets a big kick in the pants as well. IDK why Peavey and Eddie had the bias set so cold on these amps. But like I said early, a nice preamp will still sound like sh*t with the bias set so cold. Also you might even need a different preamp after the bias mod, the difference is really night and day.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Jul 25, 2009,
i dont mean to jump in, but it seems kinda silly to creat a new thread when the discussion is already going on here.

what exactly does the bias do? will it effect the lead channel at all while it makes the cleans better? how much would an adjustable bias cost roughly and how would it be adjusted?

how does the bias get changed on the 5150/6505 combo? my friend said if there is a bias pot then he could do the adjustment, but if its more complicated i need to take it to a shop. any ideas?

thanks
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC