So pit, I'll be trying to get my first job soon.

Through out school I've been told that you should never wear a pair of jeans or a shirt that doesn't have a collar to an interview, that you should ALWAYS bring your own pen to fill out applications, never to have another person with you when you come to an interview, and things like that.

I've always suspected of that just being crap made up so that they can make classes about it, and I've been told by other people that that's not how you have to do things at all.

I'd like to wear a nice pair of jeans and a black shirt to an interview tomorrow, do you guys think that's acceptable?

How do you usually prepare yourself when trying to get hired for a new job?
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
I just wip it out and 9 of 10 times i'll get the job

Hey, some people love to laugh.
jeans are fine. wear a belt (not studded...seriously) collared shirt. not all fancy but just a regular collared shirt. bring a pen. copy of birth certificate and license.

just dont go in there looking like some punk ass teenager. they tend to not respond to that very well. dress like a little rich boy and hope for the best. whip out the rolex if needed
Quote by TurtlesNeverDie

Through out school I've been told that you should never wear a pair of jeans or a shirt that doesn't have a collar to an interview, that you should ALWAYS bring your own pen to fill out applications, never to have another person with you when you come to an interview, and things like that.

Obviously. Wearing a t-shirt and jeans to an interview is an instant dismissal.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by TheKittenKannon
jeans are fine. wear a belt (not studded...seriously) collared shirt. not all fancy but just a regular collared shirt. bring a pen. copy of birth certificate and license.

just dont go in there looking like some punk ass teenager. they tend to not respond to that very well. dress like a little rich boy and hope for the best. whip out the rolex if needed

Haha. I know I don't look like a punk ass teenager, and I know how to look nice. I don't have any little rich boy clothes per say, but I do have some nice shirts, but only one collared one. :\

Also, how big of a deal do you think a few tattoos would be?

Thanks for the advice too.
Quote by TurtlesNeverDie
Haha. I know I don't look like a punk ass teenager, and I know how to look nice. I don't have any little rich boy clothes per say, but I do have some nice shirts, but only one collared one. :\

Also, how big of a deal do you think a few tattoos would be?

Thanks for the advice too.

uhh.. do your best to cover all of them up...

im guessing their on your arms? better get a long-sleeve t shirt.

tatoos = bad.

EDIT: wht kind of job r u trying to get?
Last edited by TheKittenKannon at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by TheKittenKannon
uhh.. do your best to cover all of them up...

im guessing their on your arms? better get a long-sleeve t shirt.

tatoos = bad.

EDIT: wht kind of job r u trying to get?

Yeah, they're on my arms. I'm just applying to a few stores and restaurants in my area. I've seen people working with tattoos on their ams in lots of places around here, so I know it's at least acceptable in some places. I'm going to try to get a long sleeved shirt though.
TS how old are you? do you live in the states? and what kind of job are you interviewing for?
for the interview, cover up tatoos. once you're hired, they don't matter, but the interview is all about the first impression. you want to look professional, reliable and well-dressed (though not overdressed) jeans + collared shirt = casual standard for teenager jobs.
Quote by nikki82
TS how old are you? do you live in the states? and what kind of job are you interviewing for?

I'm seventeen, and yes I'm living in the US. I answered your last question before your post.
Quote by nikki82

ok u answered that..id say wear your nice shirt..no jeane..do you own any slacks..those dont have to be fancy..and some sort of casual shoe..dress business casual..who cares about tats as long as they arent on your face..
oh, and also: dress according to the job. if you're applying for a restaurant, dont go in an Armani suit.

if you're applying at IBM, don't got without an Armani something.
and keep your sleeves rolled down..and i think you should tuck your shirt in..
Act like you care about stuff. They will only hire you if they think you're going to actually CARE about your job.
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh, and also: dress according to the job. if you're applying for a restaurant, dont go in an Armani suit.

if you're applying at IBM, don't got without an Armani something.

That's what I've heard to do. I think a nice shirt and a nice pair of jeans will do for the places I'll be applying at. Thanks for the advice.
and the stuff they teach about interviews in classes is true..most people will dismiss you immediately based on just how you look..and probably will daydream about toenail clippings while you are talking..

and 3 guaranteed questions you will be asked regardless where you work are

what is your biggest weakness as an employee..and strength..and why should we hire you..i love those questions they are a hoot..
Quote by nikki82
and the stuff they teach about interviews in classes is true..most people will dismiss you immediately based on just how you look..and probably will daydream about toenail clippings while you are talking..

and 3 guaranteed questions you will be asked regardless where you work are

what is your biggest weakness as an employee..and strength..and why should we hire you..i love those questions they are a hoot..

Well see, I don't think it's necessarily always true. Some places just need more employees and can't dismiss someone simply because they don't like they way they walk or talk.

I mean I know if I ran a business I wouldn't give a **** about little things like jeans or slacks and collared shirt or not.
ok do what you want but i am 27 and have been on quite a few interviews..my thing would be damn you couldnt not wear jeans for just 20 minutes..but good luck though i hope you do find a job..is it hard out there with the way the economy is? i know some places havent really suffered..
Quote by nikki82
ok do what you want but i am 27 and have been on quite a few interviews..my thing would be damn you couldnt not wear jeans for just 20 minutes..but good luck though i hope you do find a job..is it hard out there with the way the economy is? i know some places havent really suffered..

Don't take it as an insult lady...

I can't afford a lot of nice clothes, I don't have much more than jeans, and I don't have the money to run out and buy a nice pair of slacks.

Hence the thread asking how acceptable it is.
Just wear a smart shirt, some black trousers and some smart shoes. Make a good impression because people work with first appearances. If you can't be bothered to make an effort for 30 mins or so, then the employers arn't going to be very impressed.
Also cover up the tattoos.

It's up to you really mate, but I know I'd be annoyed if I was offering my time for interviews and the interviewees couldn't be bothered to make an effort.
TRANSFORMICE

I suppose it depends on the type of job and the type of employee they're looking for, but I think it's important just to be honest and real, you'd think people are not so stupid as to not see through the widely-known conventions of interview ettiquette. Sure, take care, but don't make it a facade and end up a crappy employee because you're there to work and not just to get paid.

What I'm saying is attitude is everything, you might be right with the jeans if they're new, dark and neat. But yeah it depends.