Page 1 of 2
This computer will be used for pretty much everything. Entertainment, school, multitasking, etc.

Max price: 700-800

Ive been looking at a few computers that have satisfied me spec-wise but im not sure about everything else. Like reliability, or future problems.

Sony Vaio CS series
Hp Dv6 or Dv5 series
Toshiba Satellite A505-6960

Those are the ones that i was considering. Which brand should i go with? Are there any other laptops i should check out? Etc.

Some general guidence would be awesome!

Looking for:
250gigs or higher hdd
2.0ghz or higher intel cpu
Webcam/mic
Dvd burner
Decent graphics (i have an xbox for my games)
3gigs ram or more stock.
2 or more USB ports
Screen size between 14 and 16.
Good battery life.
A/b/g/n. Wireless
Etc
Last edited by Steeze at Jul 24, 2009,
hey
ye thats pretty standard now that spec but you should be able to get it for less than 800(if your talking about pounds anyway) try looking at the brand ASUS, they make all the boards and chipsets for alot of stuff and other companies put their name on it cough Sony. Dotn buy the sony vaio it will be full of useless sony software and will be double the price because of the brand.

hope this helps!
eeepc 1000

do it ******!!
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
hey ive got a dv6..had it for about 6 months now..no complaints..it cost about 850 and we got it from staples..
are we talking 700-800 dollars here or GBP? I'm going to assume dollars because you can get those specs for like 3-400 quid.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by Steeze

Ive been looking at a few computers that have satisfied me spec-wise but im not sure about everything else. Like reliability, or future problems.

Sony Vaio CS series
Hp Dv6 or Dv5 series
Toshiba Satellite A505-6960

Sony is a complete ripoff. Not sure on Toshiba. HP is kind of on-par I guess.

Those are the ones that i was considering. Which brand should i go with? Are there any other laptops i should check out? Etc.
If you truly want reliability get a refurbished MacBook for around 800. www.macmall.com has certified refurb deals. For other laptops, just use www.newegg.com

Looking for:
250gigs or higher hdd
2.0ghz or higher intel cpu
Webcam/mic
Dvd burner
Decent graphics (i have an xbox for my games)
3gigs ram or more stock.
2 or more USB ports
Screen size between 14 and 16.
Good battery life.
A/b/g/n. Wireless
Etc

-Don't be picky about HDD size. The smart thing to do is to get an external for your files.
-T5000 Core 2 Duo series or above. Any lower is too weak, especially for Vista.
-Cam/mic a standard feature on most laptops now, but I honestly haven't come across one that isn't grainy and static save for MacBooks.
-DVD is standard feature. I think a few Asus's even have Blu-Ray now.
-Well if you're gonna game on Xbox, might as well save a hundred or two by getting a laptop without dedicated graphic card.
-3GB RAM is all you need if you're using a 32-bit OS. Any more and the OS won't recognize it.
-Current MacBooks have 5-7 hours new, and I believe HPs and Dells have around 3 hours new with stock batteries.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by nikki82
hey ive got a dv6..had it for about 6 months now..no complaints..it cost about 850 and we got it from staples..

+1

I got an HP Pavillion DV6 last week and it's wonderful.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I have a Toshiba, and while they make good stuff I would advise against it because quite a few of them have had an issue where the computer crashes and the bios goes wasted.

Basically what happens is it thinks you've assigned it a password, but of course you haven't so you have no means of finding it out. If the laptop has a biometric scanner you can get past it though (lucky mine did)

Before you buy one, look into that is all I can say, but other than that no complaints.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I plan on getting a HP DV6 also. The only thing is the battery life, though I plan on buying another 6/12-cell battery.
Alright, thanks alot guys!

The HP dv6 seema to be a pretty good computer from what you guys are aaying so i will definately look into that.

The toshiba, i looked around at reviews and stuff and didnt really find anyone who said that particular model had a faulty bios or whatever. But il definately look deeper into it. Thanks for the warning.

Why are sony laptops a ripoff? The specs seem on par with other laptops in the price range.

I would really like a macbook but its soooo expensive even refurbished because i want something around 15in for the screen size. 13.3 might be too small. And its kinda expensive either way. Also im picky about gettingthe latest stuff. I would want a recent macbook rather than last year's.

What is "billmelater" and is it a ripoff? That seems to be the only way i can afford a mac.

All in all the Dv6 is at te top of the list right now. Im alsp Considering toshiba. Confused about sony. And dreaming of a macbook. Haha

I also looked into asus and they seem cool but not as established as the other companies so im iffy. Also there are so many models its confusing. Haha.

So yeah, this is where i am at this point in my laptop hunt
Get a Toshiba, they are the best laptop quality wise on the market right now. you can get those feature and more with your price range and have a very effective pc
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
yeah the toshiba a505 6960 has A TON of very nice features.

its between that or the Hp dv6 right now.

unless someone can convince me otherwise.

i would still like response to some of the things ive mentioned in the previous post.

thanks alot guys!
Simple tip: If you're going to play games on it, make sure the graphics chipset doesn't say "Intel".

I'd go for the best HP/Compaq you can get for your budget. Without Intel graphics.
Quote by Steeze

Why are sony laptops a ripoff? The specs seem on par with other laptops in the price range.
Build quality is terrible. They rely solely on their name, and doesn't feel compelled be actually good.

What is "billmelater" and is it a ripoff? That seems to be the only way i can afford a mac.
Not really a ripoff, it's just another method of paying. Basically you get your product now, and pay later. Also, there should be plans where you can pay in increments every month.

I also looked into asus and they seem cool but not as established as the other companies so im iffy. Also there are so many models its confusing. Haha.
They've been the strongest Windows laptop that I've been keeping track of. What is confusing you?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd personally try to get a used unibody MacBook at that price, but it probably won't outspec even a new PC if you're big on numbers and it doesn't have the display size you're looking your.

Unless you absolutely need the computer before school starts or something, I'd hold off until September when Windows 7 comes out. It's quite a bit better than Windows Vista on all fronts and getting it pre-installed will save you the trouble of buying/pirating it later if you decide you want it.

For what it's worth, my dad's HP laptop has had nothing but troubles. The WiFi/Bluetooth doesn't work any more, the bezel is falling off the display, and it was loaded with crapware out of the box.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
I'd personally try to get a used unibody MacBook at that price, but it probably won't outspec even a new PC if you're big on numbers and it doesn't have the display size you're looking your.

The unibody MB's are a little out of his price range, even used/refurbed.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If i use the bill me later thing, then i could possibly try to get a macbook.

But here's the thing,

I could get a PC with 92746462919101 more features than the mac in the same price range or cheaper.

Also i am a pretty experienced windows user and if i were to get a mac, then id prolly use windows alot anyway.

This decision sucks. I wish i was rich.

Ok my price range is up to 1000 dollars on a PC and if you guys can convince me to get a mac, then i will use billmelater to cover the rest of the insane cost! This will be my first laptop that will actually be "mine" so im pretty excited and want the best. But im gonna be a senior in high school so i dont have 298475738392938 money either.

Ive beeen getting mixed review on HP laptops btw. Some people like theirs while others hate em. Soooo idk.
Last edited by Steeze at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
They've been the strongest Windows laptop that I've been keeping track of. What is confusing you?

not to mention the fact that ASUS is responsible for practically every intel processor on the market. they're also the company responsible for creating parts of 1/3 of the computers that are out in america. not a well known brand, but an amazing one.

don't look at the s6960.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9371556&st=s6965&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218093379440
the one above is much better. i think the only questionable feature it has is the small battery life. otherwise, it fits everything and is an amazing laptop given the price.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Steeze

But here's the thing,

I could get a PC with 92746462919101 more features than the mac in the same price range or cheaper.

Also i am a pretty experienced windows user and if i were to get a mac, then id prolly use windows alot anyway.

Nope. MacBooks are better built than any other laptops because they use a new, updated method of design that addresses many traditional issues such as heat ventilation, ineffectiveness of touchpad, and structural integrity. These are the more subtle features, without giant numbers flashed in your face, but they are definitely worth the extra hundreds. Not to mention the quality and feel is noticeably different than any PC laptop. I'm not saying they're perfect or "just works", but using a MacBook is enjoyable, which I can't say for the numerous other laptops I've used and owned in the past.

I am a pretty experienced Window user as well, but it's not like I have to choose between one or the other.

Anyways, get it if you have the means. If you don't, don't worry about it for now.

Quote by Steeze

Ive beeen getting mixed review on HP laptops btw. Some people like theirs while others hate em. Soooo idk.

That's because they're just average and sometimes on par. You get what you pay for.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Steeze

But here's the thing,

This decision sucks. I wish i was rich.

Ok my price range is up to 1000 dollars on a PC and if you guys can convince me to get a mac, then i will use billmelater to cover the rest of the insane cost! This will be my first laptop that will actually be "mine" so im pretty excited and want the best. But im gonna be a senior in high school so i dont have 298475738392938 money either.

here's the thing: people who buy macs love them. that's probably due to the operating system. when you're talking about features, are you talking about specs? because the main reason apple puts in 2gb of RAM in their base computers is because they already come with a strong processor as well as a lighter operating system.

and if you're going to be a senior in high school, i suggest you wait until you graduate. you're budget will be much higher since those graduation parties result in tons of cash. plus, you'll have a larger need for the laptop if you're going to college.

EDIT: xiaoxi is right. my aluminum macbook pro has never had any heating issues. in fact, it doesn't even have any vents in the bottom. whereas my brother's dell xps, provided with all the vents it has on the bottom, still heats up like an oven.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39

EDIT: xiaoxi is right. my aluminum macbook pro has never had any heating issues. in fact, it doesn't even have any vents in the bottom. whereas my brother's dell xps, provided with all the vents it has on the bottom, still heats up like an oven.

Ventilation is probably the biggest reason why most companies refer to their portable computers as "notebooks" instead of "laptops". If you were to place the notebooks on your lap, you'd block the vents on the bottom, which will in turn overheat your PC and your leg at the same time. Great stuff.

Whereas MacBooks have their ventilation discreetly behind the screen and employ the aluminum case to draw heat away from the CPU and GPU.

By the way, still get the program called Fancontrol. I sometimes think the stock fan setting (1800-2000RPM) is a little too low.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Go with the Satellite.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Quote by Steeze
Thanks for all the great help!

Would 13inches be too small of a screen?

Not for casual computer use.

For professional work, they can be.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Hmm alright

Im going to think it over and make a decision between the macbook or the toshiba satellite.

You guys kick ass!
Thanks!
Don't be a bitch, GET A MAC
Quote by Kensai
Happy birthday

Quote by TSmitty6
is it me or does the black kids head look like a bong, and the girl behind him just took a hit and is zonked out?
Well its double the price of the toshiba.

I decided that im not about to spend money that idont have by financing.

The toshiba would more than serve my purpose well, and i can afford it.

So im just going to get that.

Im definately gonna get a macbook for college though!
Quote by Steeze
Well its double the price of the toshiba.

I decided that im not about to spend money that idont have by financing.

The toshiba would more than serve my purpose well, and i can afford it.

So im just going to get that.

Im definately gonna get a macbook for college though!

Cool.

But if/when you get a MacBook, make sure you buy it in the summer time, when their annual discounts are aimed at students. You can get free iPods and stuff as well.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Build quality is terrible. They rely solely on their name, and doesn't feel compelled be actually good.

i'm sorry but i seriously beg to differ

my dad has had the same Sony Vaio laptop for nearly 7 years and it runs like new.

i also have a Sony Vaio NS that i bought for school and i've had no complaints at all.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
i'm sorry but i seriously beg to differ

my dad has had the same Sony Vaio laptop for nearly 7 years and it runs like new.

i also have a Sony Vaio NS that i bought for school and i've had no complaints at all.

Okay, that's you.

I'm talking about the grand scheme of things.

Just to give you an idea of how trite Sony's thinking is...they want to put Vista on their netbooks.

I'm not bashing Vista. But seriously...it's not for netbooks.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Okay, that's you.

I'm talking about the grand scheme of things.

Just to give you an idea of how trite Sony's thinking is...they want to put Vista on their netbooks.

I'm not bashing Vista. But seriously...it's not for netbooks.

i don't understand how something like build quality can differ in the grand scheme of things but fine.

and they really don't have much of a choice in OS's do they? plus those netbooks are made for internet, emails and word processing...that's about it. as far as those aspects of computing, the netbook is fine even with Vista. sure it won't be as fast as a normal laptop if you start more complicated tasks, but that's not what they were made for.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Don't get a MacBook. Not worth your money. At all. I don't know what you're planning to study in college, but if it's anything to do with the sciences or engineering, you're going to need a Windows machine or at least boot Linux. You're right, though, you can definitely get better hardware at a lower price with a Windows machine. Notice I didn't say PC: Macs have always been personal computers, and have definitely been 'PCs' since they switched to the Intel architecture a few years ago. This bugs me.

I have had a Dell XPS laptop for a year now. It's thin, light, and powerful. As a system builder I'm nervous about delegating PC work to anyone other than myself, but you can't really build your own laptop and still have money left for food. Dell came through. The laptop's a great one and does anything I throw at it. Dell's tech support has been second to none for me: my slot load DVD drive stopped functioning and a tech came out to my house and repaired it for me on the spot two days later. No stupid 'Genius' Bar appointments.

Dell Studio 15
Configured to your budget $1049:
-Vista Home Premium, 64-bit (free upgrade to Win 7 in October)
-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
-15.6" 1080p HD screen (resolution is more important than physical size)
-4GB RAM
-320GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
-Intel integrated graphics (since you said you had an XBOX, this will handle DVDs and such just fine)
-WiFi a/g/n, HD audio, 9-cell battery

Someone might be able to beat these specs at the price range, but not for the 2-year in-home warranty it comes with. Sorry if I'm coming off as a tool here, but I get irked when misinformation spreads due to TV advertisements and brainwashing pop culture.
Last edited by cherrybass at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Waterboy799
i don't understand how something like build quality can differ in the grand scheme of things but fine.
Build quality, to me, is as important, if not more important than internal specs in a laptop. Not so much in a desktop. Think about it, a laptop is ideally something that you rely on, yet travels. It needs to withstand all that, and at the same time be comfortable in the limited amount of room you have.

and they really don't have much of a choice in OS's do they? plus those netbooks are made for internet, emails and word processing...that's about it. as far as those aspects of computing, the netbook is fine even with Vista. sure it won't be as fast as a normal laptop if you start more complicated tasks, but that's not what they were made for.
They can use XP, or be even smarter like Asus and use Linux. And 1.8Ghz processors are weak even for basic Vista operations.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by cherrybass
what you're planning to study in college, but if it's anything to do with the sciences or engineering, you're going to need a Windows machine or at least boot Linux.
Yea, not like you can't do that on Mac with native hardware support...oh wait...

You're right, though, you can definitely get better hardware at a lower price with a Windows machine.
You know that gigantic piece of hardware called the casing? Yeah, turns out that's actually pretty important. And none even comes close to the MacBooks.

Notice I didn't say PC: Macs have always been personal computers, and have definitely been 'PCs' since they switched to the Intel architecture a few years ago. This bugs me.

They were PCs since always, not just since they've switched to Intel.

Admittedly, Apple computers are more expensive than their Windows counterpart. This is because they want to price themselves out of the competition; don't compare yourself to your opponent, being in a completely different league.

This is justifiable for somethings, such as the MacBooks. iMacs are plain waste of money though.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Build quality, to me, is as important, if not more important than internal specs in a laptop. Not so much in a desktop. Think about it, a laptop is ideally something that you rely on, yet travels. It needs to withstand all that, and at the same time be comfortable in the limited amount of room you have.

They can use XP, or be even smarter like Asus and use Linux. And 1.8Ghz processors are weak even for basic Vista operations.

well, i have 2 Sony laptops in my house as of this moment and neither have had any problems so far

and one of those laptops is 7 years old as i previously mentioned.

they could use XP, but they want to stay current. which brand of computers uses XP stock anymore? marketing wise, i think it would be foolish to use an OS that's been out of production for almost 4 years now, and considering they have always used Microsoft OS's i don't think they could really turn their backs on em at this point. also, like i said those netbooks are made for the bare minimum, i've actually used one at a Sony store when i went to checkout some laptops and the one i used worked just fine as far as i could tell. i know 1.8 Ghz and 1 gig of ram seems weak, but remember...bare minimum.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799

they could use XP, but they want to stay current. which brand of computers uses XP stock anymore? marketing wise, i think it would be foolish to use an OS that's been out of production for almost 4 years now, and considering they have always used Microsoft OS's i don't think they could really turn their backs on em at this point.
But that's not the point. Vista is a bad choice for the hardware, period. They should work around that. Asus did. Other netbook makers did.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by cherrybass
Notice I didn't say PC: Macs have always been personal computers, and have definitely been 'PCs' since they switched to the Intel architecture a few years ago. This bugs me.

Oh my god, stfu. I hate mac***s as much as the next linux user, but macs aren't PCs.

I used to have a computer with some PCMCIA hardware, but that didn't make my hardware an Personal Computer Memory Card International Association, just because that's what the acronym stood for. PC is an architecture (not a CPU architecture) that macintoshes historically and current do NOT adhere to, even with the switch to x86 from the old PPC processors. PCs are so called because all PCs are derived from the original IBM PC architecture, something that the original macintosh pre-dates (afaik). Stop spreading lies.
Quote by Stormx
Oh my god, stfu. I hate mac***s as much as the next linux user, but macs aren't PCs.

I used to have a computer with some PCMCIA hardware, but that didn't make my hardware an Personal Computer Memory Card International Association, just because that's what the acronym stood for. PC is an architecture (not a CPU architecture) that macintoshes historically and current do NOT adhere to, even with the switch to x86 from the old PPC processors. PCs are so called because all PCs are derived from the original IBM PC architecture, something that the original macintosh pre-dates (afaik). Stop spreading lies.

I'm sorry, I don't think you understand. Either that or we're totally talking in different dimensions here. I don't know what you define 'PC architecture' as, but here's what the worldwide community has defined it as. I typed 'PC' into Wikipedia. Clicked the first link for 'personal computer':

"The most common current operating systems for personal computers are Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, while the most common microprocessors are x86-compatible CPUs, ARM architecture CPUs and PowerPC CPUs." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer] So yes, Macintoshes can be and are considered PCs, even before the Intel switch.

"At WWDC 2005, Steve Jobs revealed this transition and also noted that Mac OS X was in development to run both on Intel and PowerPC architecture from the very beginning. All new Macs now use x86 processors made by Intel, and some Macs were given new names to signify the switch." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh#2006_onward:_Intel_era] I'm not sure where you think the x86 architecture isn't implemented by Macintoshes, but wherever it is, you'd be wrong.

I'm not spreading lies. I'm afraid you *and* the Mac commercials are. I understand the branding they're trying to do, and it's working very well, which is the problem - they're stripping the definition of a clearly defined term and confusing the general public, which is not something you'd think such a tech-savvy corporation would do. Oh, well.

Point is, I think the OP would be happy with almost any laptop he got these days as long as it's got at least a 2-year warranty, Macs included. All I'm trying to say is that he could save a few hundred and he'd be just as happy.

Quote by Xiaoxi
You know that gigantic piece of hardware called the casing? Yeah, turns out that's actually pretty important. And none even comes close to the MacBooks.

If you get a unibody aluminum Macbook, I challenge you to use it on your lap for more than 15 minutes. Please, really, I dare you. If you don't feel your groin roasting, you have something wrong. It's great at dissipating heat and looks awesome, but honestly aluminum is not a hard metal - the security you feel is more in your mind. Other choices that vendors have made including a magnesium alloy chassis and HIPS (High impact polystyrene) material are smarter designs as well as having vents that don't blow hot air where it could potentially destroy your kid-making future. And good luck changing out your battery when its lifespan becomes too short in two or three years; this is a given with any rechargeable battery.

I welcome debate but both sides need to have their flaws exposed for the OP to make a well-informed choice, and I feel one side is grossly overrepresented here.
Last edited by cherrybass at Jul 25, 2009,
Page 1 of 2