Hi all,

I've noticed a little issue I experience when trying to play hammer-ons and Pull-offs at a pretty high speed. I'm practicing Born of Osiris' "Empires Erased" at the moment, and there is a part at about 2 minutes when they start playing this harmonized part existing purely of HOs & POs.

Now, the thing is while I'm practicing this, everything goes fine when I'm doing it a slow speed, but when I try to maintain the same speed as they do in the song, I get a strain/slight pain in my left biceps. It seems that I flex them as the speed goes up, is this a natural thing, or should I somehow try practicing to be able to play that speed without flexing?

Thanks in Advance

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

you shouldn't be tensing up, so it's probably just a case of practicing that part over a few times until your completely comfortable with it

nice 'My Curse' cover btw
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Its probably because your trying to hard when your speeding up to get them right that your tensing and hurting yourself ,it helps if you play with your thumb around the middle of the neck rather the "baseball bat" position ,not only does it help you stretch to certain frets but it doesnt hurt when you play. Also try to keep your fingers as close to the fret board as possible ,less effort to move your fingers then.
Your arm shouldn't tense up, you should be using the tips of your fingers to play, not the flat bit in the last segment if you're doing stuff like that. Try not to pinch the neck so hard, you don't need that much pressure to get a good sound out of the strings.
Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to think of those when practicing later on .

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Discomfort when playing intricate stuff can be eased by raising the neck angle a bit. A lot of players do this as it relaxes the arm better. It doesn't look bad on stage as it tends to say 'Look at me doing this fiddly bit', so well worth trying it out.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x