My computer has suffered from extremely annoying latency problems in the past, when I've tried to record audio. I'm honestly no expert in this area at all, so any useful advice would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I'm using a BOSS Micro BR, but my knowledge of recording is truthfully quite minimal, so I'm really just using it for its latency-free multi-tracking abilities.

My question is basically this: if I purchase some kind of audio interface (such as one of those Lambda devices or a Tone Port or Guitar Port), will this automatically solve the whole latency issue? All I'm really looking for is something that'll allow me to perform multi-track recording with great ease via my computer, as while the Micro BR is incredible portable and convenient, its loading times and sucky battery life are horrible issues.

Thanks in advance!
Although buying an interface won't necessarily eliminate latency, it will deffinatly improve your stuido. One way to completly eliminate latency is to not monitor the track you are recording through the software at all. This can be acomplished by using just about any mixer. The Behringer mixers are cheap and suitable for this task (plus you get half decent preamps for your money). You may want to look into buying a interface AND a small mixer or an interface with zero-latency monitioring.
Yeah most interfaces now (not all) will have zero latency monitoring. What is your budget and how many tracks will you be recording at one time. Drums?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Thanks for the replies. I don't play the drums, so I'd probably be using a MIDI track with a soundfont attached to it or something for that part. I'd really only be recording instrumental parts. Budget-wise, I don't have a set figure, but cheaper is of course better. Something that's around the price range of the most expensive Line 6 Tone Port would probably be my limit, as if there's nothing similar to that, I'll probably just go for that.

There seem to have been some differing responses here, though. Basically, do audio interfaces only have no latency if they specifically state that they have "zero latency monitoring"? Thanks again!
If that's the case, is there a program that can automatically adjust recorded tracks forwards by the relevant number of ms? I used to do that manually after recording each take in Cakewalk SONAR and it was pretty painful. Ugh.
An external mixer can completly eliminate latency. By sending the tracks you've already recorded to one stereo channel and monitoring the track your recording on a seperate channel, you effectivly eliminate the latency problem by not using the computer at all for live monitoring. Just be sure to mute the track that you are recording or you will hear a latency free signal AND a delayed signal with latency. Hope this helps.
Quote by muckypup
I don't think you can get one of them very cheap though.

A mixer? If you're just using it for monitoring purposes to eliminate latency you can pick one up easily for $60. However, if you want to use the mixer for multiple preamps, they are a bit more expensive. That said, there are many great sounding mixers with a good supply of preamps and routing options that can be bought for well under $300.
Just get an interface. People like to freak out about the possibility of having latency but if you get a decent interface (It really doesn't need to be expensive) then you probably will not have latency issues. For example I own an E-mu 0404. Run it on a Macbook with 2Gb of RAM and have had no latency issues at all. People like to think USB interfaces are terrible but in reality as long as the interface is USB 2.0 (which most are but some still are not) you should not have a problem.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Just get an interface. People like to freak out about the possibility of having latency but if you get a decent interface (It really doesn't need to be expensive) then you probably will not have latency issues. For example I own an E-mu 0404. Run it on a Macbook with 2Gb of RAM and have had no latency issues at all. People like to think USB interfaces are terrible but in reality as long as the interface is USB 2.0 (which most are but some still are not) you should not have a problem.

The keyword here is MAC. I use my Mac for all my recording needs and have ZERO latency issues - actually never an issue with anything. My Vista PC has issues though even using the same interface... That's why I only use my Mac for any type of recording.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The keyword here is MAC. I use my Mac for all my recording needs and have ZERO latency issues - actually never an issue with anything. My Vista PC has issues though even using the same interface... That's why I only use my Mac for any type of recording.

I've done some recording on Macs and I can assure you they can suffer from latency issues too. I record on my PC (XP) and I've never had issues with latency using my interface. I'm pretty sure it all boils down to the specifics of the system and what youre running into it, not the operating system itself.
I have the Behringer Firewire interface and I have it set at 9 ms with Guitar rig on my Mac. I get good output. I haven't tried it with Garageband or Logic yet.
It will heavily improve latency; I love my interface, go for it
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat