Hey, I'm planning on playing the electric guitar and I've never actually played a guitar before so I'm wondering if I should start with an acoustic since i don't want to spend so much on stuff.

And which brand should I get?
I started on acoustic, and that's what I recommend.

For one, an acoustic is more portable...you can take it anywhere.

An electric, you'll have to lug around an amp and a cable, at minimum, plus you're restricted to only those areas that have electricity, meaning you can't very well take an electric to the beach, or camping. (They do make little plug in amps, and also small amps powered by batteries, but that's more expense)

With an acoustic...you'll play more, plus it will help build finger strength much faster then an electric.

For acoustics...try to buy one that has a "solid top." it will last a lifetime, or more. If the ad doesn't say "solid top" it doesn't have one, as solid tops are preferable and the tone of the guitar will improve through the years.

Fender makes some great solid top acoustics for about $250, even Guitar Player magazine likes the low end Fenders.

Best of luck, and find a friend who also plays guitar...you'll improve 10 times faster then you will sitting alone in your room practicing.

----------------------------

Thank for this answer from other board.
If you have self control (meaning you wont go crazy with distortion and other effects), neither option is better than the other for learning. If you want cheap and simple, an acoustic will be your best bet. For some suggestions, look at the "Guitars Under $300" sticky.

Why the hell did you make the thread and then answer to yourself?

EDIT: ...and how did you reply in ZERO MINUTES?!?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 24, 2009,
Did you reply an answer to your own question????
GEAR
________

Jackson RR3 w/ Dimebucker
Epiphone G400 Extreme
Marshall Mg30 Dfx (It does the job),
Kelry Sinister Strings, 10 - 52's
Dunlop Jazz III's or Dunlop purple 2.00 tortex(sharpened).
Quote by Insomniac35
Did you reply an answer to your own question????

this

i would reckomend acoustic because -

1. You do stretch your fingers more and when i played an electric after that it felt like i was just better instantly

2. Its easier to hear your mistakes on an acoustic as sometimes distortion hides it more (to the untrained ear)

3. I am a lazy bugger and sometimes i don't feel like plugging in i just wanna play

but you should prob play the electric too to get used to playing with distortion, standing up etc.

edit: ah i see the answer was from another board
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Last edited by Nite` at Jul 24, 2009,
Am I the only one who recommend electric? Acoustic has too high action and strings are harder to press, you will have more trouble with bar chords.

Plus, with electric you can play any style... with acoustic you can't.
i think you should always buy whatever youintend to play in the long run - if you want to play electric music then an acoustic will slow you down - the strings are heavier and the action is higher - which is fine for acoustic stuff, but you cant do electric things on it

if you want to play acoustic then buy an acoustic
Quote by Poglia
Am I the only one who recommend electric? Acoustic has too high action and strings are harder to press, you will have more trouble with bar chords.

the fact that the strings are harder to press and the difficulty is higher is why i feel it's better - also you can play a wide variety of styles on the electric.

but i reckon you should play both basically around the same time - i started on acoustic for 3mnths and since then i have used both pretty much equally

edit: it prob doesn't matter though
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Best solid top acoustic for the money and nicely playable for a beginner would be a Cort Earth 70 or Earth Grand. You can get cheaper guitars but they will not be anything like the quality. Check out reviews and take a playing friend along to a store if you can.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Poglia

There is an argument you don't want to start.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 24, 2009,
If you plan on playing electric, then buy an electric guitar. Buying an acoustic will add to expenses as youll have to buy an acoustic, then an electric when you want to.
The point about the acoustic being more portable. You're not going to need to play on a beach if your only just starting out. Most places you'll be playin will have electricity, so this point is almost irrelevant.

mainly, if you want to learn on an acoustic, learn on acoustic, if you want to learn on electric, then learn on electric. Id personally suggest electric.
Quote by GC Shred Off

Why the hell did you make the thread and then answer to yourself?

EDIT: ...and how did you reply in ZERO MINUTES?!?

LMAO
Umm... wat the hell?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yeah I know. Weird, huh? I figure he was probably just trying to advertise those links in his signature so I closed it and banned him.

Of course you can't see his signature now since he is banned, but he had a couple links in there.
I woulda done it this morning when I saw it, but I'm at work and don't have any of the tools to do it here. Lol.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.