hey, i've been playing bass for a couple of years now and i currently use an Ibanez Electro-acoustic bass and a yamaha RBX-375, but I'm not really satisfied with some of the slap tones i get out of the yamaha, i was looking to buy one of the new Flea bass's
for £350 (this is the flea bass not the modulus one) as allot of the tones i want are based on some RHCP stuff, if anyone has any suggestions to what sorta bass would be good, what sort of pickup style ect. that would be great, i do have around £400 to spend mind you, thanks!

Ryan
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
Maybe a second hand musicman sterling? Good slap tones, 24 frets, mm quality. Not 100% on price though.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
you coould get a jazz bass, thats what flea uses most of the time.
also what kind of amp do you have?
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Flea has used Jazz's, Stingray's, Modulai (:p and the new flea basses as his main axe.

That Yamaha should have a fairly good slap tone, try soloing the bridge pickup and boosting treble and bass on the EQ. I also reckon get a setup and ask for a setup for slap, then start looking for another bass

Incidentally what amp do you use?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by gilly_90
Maybe a second hand musicman sterling? Good slap tones, 24 frets, mm quality. Not 100% on price though.

Now do you mean Stirling by Musicman, or a Musicman Stirling.

Cuz I dunno if Stirling by Musicman have been around long enough for there to be a second hand market.

And Musicman Stirlings, even second hand one, will be almost £1000
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You could save a tiny bit and get a Music Man SB14, it's a cheaper version of the Sterling but it is still a Music Man bass. Theres also a Stingray Copy called the Music Man Ray 34.

Here's a review by Ed Friedland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Fo7AKwfA0

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by ChemicalFire
Now do you mean Stirling by Musicman, or a Musicman Stirling.

Cuz I dunno if Stirling by Musicman have been around long enough for there to be a second hand market.

And Musicman Stirlings, even second hand one, will be almost £1000

I thought they were the same thing

and oh well, I wasn't sure about the price anyway
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Double Basser
Flea has used Jazz's, Stingray's, Modulai (:p and the new flea basses as his main axe.

That Yamaha should have a fairly good slap tone, try soloing the bridge pickup and boosting treble and bass on the EQ. I also reckon get a setup and ask for a setup for slap, then start looking for another bass

Incidentally what amp do you use?

Hey, Hmm, I'm going to pop into my local music store in a day or so and have them look at it, But currently i am using a fender rumble 15, It was the first decent amp i got (the one prior to that was some second hand guitar amp i got for mere pennies) and it's suited me just practising at home quite nicely, currently the setup i have on the EQ is Boosted Midi and Treble, which i use for almost everything, the likes of early metallica especially, I tried what you said and it does sound great! been playing some stuff from the californication era and by the way and sounds brilliant, what about a decent setting for that slap tone? i've tried allot of things, popping sounds fine but i want a more Brighter slap tone...
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )