Page 1 of 2
Are there any albums that loads of people have said is a great album, even one of "the best of all time", but upon listening to it you just think, "meh"?

I'm not talking about an album that you don't like because it's, say, electronica and you hate all electronica.

I'm talking about albums by decent bands, but what is supposed to be their masterpiece just doesn't do anything for you.

For example, I love rocking out to RATM, but their debut album that is supposed to be so good is 80% meh for me.
Quote by whoisthisagain
I'm gonna get a slew of hate for this. But almost any Beatles song.

i agree, before you get flamed

/flame-shield
Quote by whoisthisagain

Hopping on this bandwagon. The Beatles really don't do all that much for me... yet for some bizarre reason I love The Monkees. I don't understand it either.
Selling England By The Pound
Back In Black
Slim Shady LP
Kind Of Blue (MORE LIKE KIND OF 'BLEW' LOLOLOALAOLSLS)
Led Zeppelin IV
Origin Of Symmetry
Nevermind
The Wall
Last edited by Horlicks at Jul 24, 2009,
Some of the Beatles' stuff I think is awesome, particularly with the help of weed, but for every amazing song they did, they did 10 other songs I just want to skip.

/bandwagon
Quote by Horlicks
Back In Black

Funnily enough, I would have said every other album but Back In Black.

IMO, they've had about 3 good songs in the rest of their discography outside that album.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
Back In Black
Slim Shady LP
Kind Of Blue
Led Zeppelin IV
Origin Of Symmetry
Nevermind
The Wall

I agree on Nevermind though. And I sort of feel the same way about some Beatles albums.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Has to be OK Computer. I can't think of an album so built up, then reinforced with gold, diamonds, and critics' jizz, that I really didn't think was good.

It's not even RH's best.

Oh, and Kind of Blue as well.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Absolution by Muse.

Apparently its awesome, but Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes & Revelations were much better overall.
The Wall - Pink Floyd

actually a lot of Pink Floyd's music IMO is that great.....i think there are way more psychedelic bands out there and with way more interesting music.

idk pink floyd just doesn't do it for me, some albums are good though
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Absolution by Muse.

Apparently its awesome, but Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes & Revelations were much better overall.

I'd rank Showbiz as their best, any day, in fact. And that was the album a lot of critics said to ignore.

Master of Puppets. Someone's gotta say it. Ride The Lighting is far superior, and not so overplayed either.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Horlicks
Back In Black
Slim Shady LP
Led Zeppelin IV
Origin Of Symmetry
Nevermind
The Wall

I pretty much disagree on ALL of those except for Kind of Blue, Slim Shady LP, and Nevermind.

And as for LZ IV, I slightly like Presence and LZ II a little more, but I'll allow you to call me crazy.
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Quote by freddaahh
I'd rank Showbiz as their best, any day, in fact. And that was the album a lot of critics said to ignore.

Master of Puppets. Someone's gotta say it. Ride The Lighting is far superior, and not so overplayed either.

I agree. Kill Em All was underrated compared to MoP too.
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Quote by Mean Mr Mustard
The Dark Side of the Moon...its sooo far from being Pink Floyd's best album

this is so true!
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Gamma Ray - Land of The Free: i'm a huge Gamma Ray fan but they have albums that are better than land of the free like No World Order or Powerplant
Quote by whoisthisagain
100% agree
word. the beatles are so boring
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Their singles are brilliant, but when you actually listen to albums, they have some awful songs.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Absolution by Muse.

I have to disagree with you. I personally think Absolution is their best, but only because it's better suited to my taste. After that it's OoS, BH&R, then Showbiz.
Showbiz>BHaR
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Horlicks

Why?
Appetite for Destruction. It has about 4 tracks that really stand out to me, most of the riffs on the lesser known songs sound the same and Axl's voice can get annoying as hell on certain songs (Sweet Child Of Mine). The guitar work is really the only thing about the album I like. I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for that, but I really don't see why everybody is sucking Axl's dick when it comes to his voice. He sounds like a Robert Plant wannabe/cat getting its tail pulled on at best.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Jul 25, 2009,
For me, anything after Origin is utter crap. Except for Hullaballoo
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I'm not much of a fan of The Downward Spiral yet i love other NIN albums
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
Quote by RHCP94
Has to be OK Computer. I can't think of an album so built up, then reinforced with gold, diamonds, and critics' jizz, that I really didn't think was good.

It's not even RH's best.

+1, I came in going to say that. I like it, but I thought it shouldn't even be close to at the top of Spin's top 100 albums since 1985.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Appetite for Destruction. It has about 4 tracks that really stand out to me, most of the riffs on the lesser known songs sound the same and Axl's voice can get annoying as hell on certain songs (Sweet Child Of Mine). The guitar work is really the only thing about the album I like. I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for that, but I really don't see why everybody is sucking Axl's dick when it comes to his voice. He sounds like a Robert Plant wannabe/cat getting its tail pulled on at best.

Haha! Same here, dude! I just don't care for his voice, and I don't like the drums!
Heres my list:
Dark side of the moon
Apetite for destruction
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
The Wall - Pink Floyd

actually a lot of Pink Floyd's music IMO is that great.....i think there are way more psychedelic bands out there and with way more interesting music.

idk pink floyd just doesn't do it for me, some albums are good though

This.
I agree with Dark Side of the Moon not being that great.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Led Zeppelin 4 I don't really like that much. I prefer Houses of the holy
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
Velvet Underground & Nico
Unknown Pleasures
[insert any other critically acclaimed post-punk album here]

Almost forgot, most lo-fi albums. Goddamn that shit is boring.
Any AC/DC album that came out after Highway To Hell. I disagree with so many people in this thread but I'm just going to keep it to myself to avoid flame wars. I do think Kind of Blue is good, but I don't think that it's the Jazz Masterpiece that the sticker on my CD says it is.
Last edited by cornmancer at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by Freaky_Styley
Led Zeppelin 4 I don't really like that much. I prefer Houses of the holy

+1

the only song on 4 that I don't find overrated is When the Levees Break.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
The Wall - Pink Floyd

To be fair, I don't think it was meant to be musically brilliant, or even listened to as an album is meant to be. Its a concept album with more focus on the concept than the album. This is why it gets a lot of hate from my Floyd-Fan-Friends. Anyways...

In The Court of The Crimson King - I can only listen to XXI Century Schizoid Man and, If I'm felling particularly adventurous the title track. I found Lizard far more interesting, and of course, Larks Tounges In Aspic.

On a slightly less subtle note... Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse. I cannot get into a SINGLE song on that album whereas I can on *prepares for hateslew*...Kill.
Quote by GrStMyGn

On a slightly less subtle note... Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse. I cannot get into a SINGLE song on that album whereas I can on *prepares for hateslew*...Kill.

I can understand that, Ive always thought Kill was easier to get into. I love TotM though.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
"Is This It?" by the Strokes - I hear about how great it is but you know what? "First Impresions of Earth" is 1,000,000,000x better
Dave Matthews...I love Carter Beauford and some of their singles, but as a whole I don't see the big ****ing deal
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
Page 1 of 2