I started playing guitar last year.. i've become very good in only 1 year and 5 months. I can do sweep picking, alternate, economy and a lot of stuff.

I play metalcore (not gay metalcore like a7x) and instrumental.

I was wondering how to start "changing" my phrasing to finally create solos like Steve Vai, Between The Buried And Me, Jason Becker (altitudes mainly <3)

Is there any good instructional video/DVD on it? Please name it.. Melodic Control didn't work for me.. I found it boring and useless..

I KNOW changing my style of phrasing is extremely hard and a video won't help much but it will help a little

EDIT: the videos i've found are more blues/rock oriented, and I play metal/metalcore/technical metalcore.. and in the blues DVDs i don't see any sweep picking and stuff.
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Jul 24, 2009,
i think that the best way to change your phrasing and style of play would be to play songs by steve vai, btbam, and jason becker. That way you know what riffs they use and you can play things that are similiar.

but, a good video to look at would be marty friedman's melodic control. it has some pretty cool stuff about phrasing.
A good way to develop your phrasing that I saw in a Paul Gilbert video: Basically, take a lyric (it doesn't have to even be a lyric, just a few words or a sentence) and play it on your guitar. Play the notes and rhythms you feel represent the words. Play around with it, it's quite fun. Put pauses for dramatic effect, play fast if it's something urgent, etc. Learning to put words (and conveying emotions, eventually) into your playing will really develop your own style of phrasing. Think of phrasing this way: Nobody talks the same way. People put different inflections on their words, different pitches when they talk, different speeds, the factors are limitless. It's the same with guitar phrasing. You're never going to phrase something exactly like Jason Becker or Vai. But you can take their phrasing and let it influence yours. Notice where they pause, how they repeat different ideas, etc. Study their music and develop your own style.
Quote by timeconsumer09
A good way to develop your phrasing that I saw in a Paul Gilbert video: Basically, take a lyric (it doesn't have to even be a lyric, just a few words or a sentence) and play it on your guitar. Play the notes and rhythms you feel represent the words. Play around with it, it's quite fun. Put pauses for dramatic effect, play fast if it's something urgent, etc. Learning to put words (and conveying emotions, eventually) into your playing will really develop your own style of phrasing. Think of phrasing this way: Nobody talks the same way. People put different inflections on their words, different pitches when they talk, different speeds, the factors are limitless. It's the same with guitar phrasing. You're never going to phrase something exactly like Jason Becker or Vai. But you can take their phrasing and let it influence yours. Notice where they pause, how they repeat different ideas, etc. Study their music and develop your own style.

Truee thanks man
Quote by wtfwasthat
i think that the best way to change your phrasing and style of play would be to play songs by steve vai, btbam, and jason becker. That way you know what riffs they use and you can play things that are similiar.

but, a good video to look at would be marty friedman's melodic control. it has some pretty cool stuff about phrasing.

I already checked out melodic control and didn't really help.. it was like 6 months ago i'm gonna try again
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I already checked out melodic control and didn't really help.. it was like 6 months ago i'm gonna try again

I highly recommend you do watch it again. Be sure to have your guitar there and don't be afraid to rewind the video a little and try out what he's talking about. And don't watch it all in one sitting if you don't understand it. Watch part of it, let it sink in, watch the rest. Try some of it out over a backing track. Then maybe watch it again. It's got some great stuff in it.
Quote by timeconsumer09
I highly recommend you do watch it again. Be sure to have your guitar there and don't be afraid to rewind the video a little and try out what he's talking about. And don't watch it all in one sitting if you don't understand it. Watch part of it, let it sink in, watch the rest. Try some of it out over a backing track. Then maybe watch it again. It's got some great stuff in it.

I will.. Thanks for the suggestions people
I have to say learning songs/solos is one thing that I have seen very clearly influence my phrasing. I have not been playing for long, will be 2 years in about a month from now, but I used to play a lot of Black Sabbath and those pentatonic licks permeated my improvising. Now I'm trying to learn the ending solos to Sultans of Swing and Fade to Black, and I find myself doing those triad arpeggio things all the time.

In short I'm thinking if you learn some songs by an artist, your phrasing will be naturally influenced by that artist and you'll sound a bit like them.

So 2 main points I'm trying to get across:
1. Learn songs that you want to sound like.
2. Learn lots of different songs, so you can have a lot of tools to work from and be unique.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote by Freepower
Melodic Phrasing, by Scott Henderson.

That and study your heroes and listen, copy, repeat.

I googled it and it looks maybe blues/rock oriented.. I'm going to take a look anyways..

Thanks for the suggestions U-G