hi i went to get my guitar set up on drop A tuneing on 12 - 56 gauge strings the guy i went to said it was impossible and to get a baritone guitar. I have an Ibanez Rgr420ex and im realy confused as my band mate has his esp on the same tuneing and gauge strings.

Can some one explain?
It's not impossible, you'll just have a really uneven string tension. A baritone guitar has a longer scale length (usually 27-28") which makes them ideal for lower tunings. I play a lot in drop A with a 25'5" scale guitar and there aren't really a lot of problems

EDIT: you'll most likely have to block your trem though, it'll be too sensitive otherwise
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jul 24, 2009,
Its spelled "Tuning"
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Just try it out yourself and see if it works

Tune down to open B and drop the 6th string down to an A. You now have strings like strands of wet spaghetti.

Can't see why anyone would want a tuning that slack, but hey, to each their own
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
Quote by Demonikk
It's not impossible, you'll just have a really uneven string tension. A baritone guitar has a longer scale length (usually 27-28") which makes them ideal for lower tunings. I play a lot in drop A with a 25'5" scale guitar and there aren't really a lot of problems

EDIT: you'll most likely have to block your trem though, it'll be too sensitive otherwise

so i cant break my trem on my guitar if i get some one else to set it up for me? the guy was makeing it sound if i did set it up how i want the whole thing would break.

(I faild english who cares if i spell things wrong)
Quote by Led Zeppelin 67
Its spelled "Tuning"

Oh c'mon...

It's not impossible, Amon Amarth plays in drop A on let's say Guardians of Asgaard on Gibson Explorers/Les Pauls. If you have a tremolo I wouldn't do it but without a tremolo and 12-56 strings you will be able to do it.

EDIT: I wouldn't do it on a tremolo guitar. Unless I keep that guitar in drop A/standard B forever.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Last edited by Gryphon999 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by torbonator
so i cant break my trem on my guitar if i get some one else to set it up for me? the guy was makeing it sound if i did set it up how i want the whole thing would break.

you would have to put some real work into breaking the trem on a guitar. i would recommend getting a tremol-no or blocking your trem before you do it though.
Quote by Black Rat 1214

Tune down to open B and drop the 6th string down to an A. You now have strings like strands of wet spaghetti.

Thicker gauge=not spaghetti. With 12's the tension will be on par with 10's tuned to standard. It'll only feel different because the strings themselves are bigger.
ok thanx for your help, i was just worrid i'd break my guitar if i tried it anyway
It's the same scale length as most Ibanez 7 string guitars. Yes you can set it up in drop A.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
your fine man. I run 13s on my washburn and the most I go to is drop a flat. The string tension is fine, but i still need to fix the action
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by torbonator

It doesn't matter if you failed English, spelling words correctly is just something you should be able to do, otherwise people will think you're an idiot.
Last edited by tukk04 at Jul 24, 2009,
It doesn't matter if you failed English, spelling words correctly is just something you should be able to do, otherwise people will think your an idiot.

And people consider you an idiot to bash his english in a topic about Drop-A tuning.

How close is Drop-A to bass tuning anyways?
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Quote by tukk04
It doesn't matter if you failed English, spelling words correctly is just something you should be able to do, otherwise people will think your an idiot.

Or a hypocrite
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Its spelled "Tuning"

Good lord people. If you're going to correct someone, you had better have correct english yourselves.

You both need apostrophes there.
If you want to combine two words into one, that is called a contraction. You use an apostrophe.

It Is = It's
You Are = You're

Your = something that belongs to you. "Your Guitar is cool."
Its = something that belongs to IT. "Speaking of your guitar, its pickups are good."

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 24, 2009,
BACK ON TOPIC: Yeah, I've tuned to drop B on 10's plenty of times, it's no big deal. But if you use floyd rose, don't. Otherwise, it should be easy as pie.
Quote by Black Rat 1214

I don't know whether you meant to say it or not, but open B is D#-B-D#-F#-B-D#. You're talking about standard B (B-E-A-D-F#-B). Just to clarify. I don't mean to be a smart alec jackass.

Quote by Atlantis2112
How close is Drop-A to bass tuning anyways?
Closer to guitar actually. It is a perfect fifth up from standard bass tuning, whereas it's a perfect fourth down from standard guitar tuning (except for the low A, which is a perfect fourth up from standard bass tuning, whereas it is a perfect fifth down from standard guitar tuning. Pretend your open string is bass tuning, and the 12th fret is guitar tuning, the sixth string is the 5th fret, and the rest of the strings are the 7th fret.

Even so, just buy a ****ing baritone guitar if you want to tune that low, in my opinion. They're tuned a perfect fifth, a perfect fourth, or a major third below standard guitar tuning generally, and you can tune to drop tunings just like a regular guitar.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by JayLacelle
try picking up bass perhaps?

Just no.
Bass has a completely different timbre, and drop A is way higher than a bass anyway.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by jonmo1
Good lord people. If you're going to correct someone, you had better have correct english yourselves.

If you want to combine two words into one, that is called a contraction. You use an apostrophe.

It Is = It's
You Are = You're

Its = something that belongs to IT. "Speaking of your guitar, its pickups are good."

Haha yeah I realized I forgot the apostrophe after I posted it. Seriously though I was just making a simple statement as to how the word "tuning" is spelled and apparently I'm the jerk haha. And since when is it OK to fail English, seeing that you speak it? Spelling does matter in the world actually. If you put on a job application "I iz gud at working n stuff" the manager would think you're retarded and wouldn't hire you. Just saying
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Benjabenja
Just no.
Bass has a completely different timbre, and drop A is way higher than a bass anyway.

if not bass, then at least a baritone guitar.
Quote by jonmo1

...and the hypocrisy continues. if it belongs to something then it should be it's as well. You never spell its without an apostrophe as far as I remember.
Quote by frankibo
...and the hypocrisy continues. if it belongs to something then it should be it's as well. You never spell its without an apostrophe as far as I remember.

AND THE HYPOCRISY CONTINUES!

Seriously It's the internet (notice correct it's, it is) as long as people can make out what you're saying it's fine. Unless there is bad spelling to the point where it's difficult to read or bad grammar which makes a sentence confusing, there is no reason to complain.

Edit: Added a comma.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1

It Is = It's
You Are = You're

It was a typo, a typo I say!
Quote by food1010
I don't know whether you meant to say it or not, but open B is D#-B-D#-F#-B-D#. You're talking about standard B (B-E-A-D-F#-B). Just to clarify. I don't mean to be a smart alec jackass.

Closer to guitar actually. It is a perfect fifth up from standard bass tuning, whereas it's a perfect fourth down from standard guitar tuning (except for the low A, which is a perfect fourth up from standard bass tuning, whereas it is a perfect fifth down from standard guitar tuning. Pretend your open string is bass tuning, and the 12th fret is guitar tuning, the sixth string is the 5th fret, and the rest of the strings are the 7th fret.

Even so, just buy a ****ing baritone guitar if you want to tune that low, in my opinion. They're tuned a perfect fifth, a perfect fourth, or a major third below standard guitar tuning generally, and you can tune to drop tunings just like a regular guitar.

Buy a 7 string if you want to tune that low, so you retain flexibility.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by food1010

Yeah sorry man that's what i meant, it was late at night and i'm having withdrawal symptoms from lack of playing... not good...

Can't remember your name, but whoever said that 12s in drop A would be similar to 10s in standard? I find playing Drop C# strings on 12s are like spaghetti... god knows what it'd be like in drop a... however... if you have your 6th string at a 60 then the tensions MIGHT be more inclined to equal out.
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."