Poll: Is Officer Crowley RACIST?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Officer Crowley RACIST?
Yes
21 14%
No
131 86%
Voters: 152.
Page 1 of 2
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

Officer Crowley arrested Mr. Gates for disorderly conduct. He had broken into his own house because he didn't have his key. A concerned citizen saw someone breaking into the house and called the police. Officer Crowley shows up and asks for ID and at first he refuses and starts accusing the officer of being a racist... (Though it shouldn't matter, but Gates is black, and Crowley is white). He eventually shows a the cop his Harvard University badge but while he waits for Campus Police to respond to verify his ID Gates becomes disorderly, and continues to verbally attack the officer accusing him of being racist and is not cooperating. He was eventually arrested... Read the police report for more information.

I believe the situation was handled fine, and the officer was only doing his job. He is not a racist.

Your thoughts?
(Invalid img)

wat.

They should both get in trouble.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 24, 2009,
"ya, I'll speak with your mama outside."

, that is the last sentence I would expect from a Harvard Professor.

There isn't lot of information to go on really. We don't know what the cop said and did (if anything) to provoke him. You'd imagine he must have said something to provoke an outburst like that from a guy who was sober and obviously a well respected professional. Arresting him was clearly not the right decision, as the prosecutions actions in dropping the charge show.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Mr. Gates clearly has the fault here, there are laws against obstructing the work of the Police. If he had just kept his mouth shut while his I.D. was checked, I'll bet he had gone scot-free out of the whole ordeal.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

He shouldn't have been arrested, but I doubt the officer is racist (after reading some of the police report). Of course that's just one side of the story.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm posting in the thread someone from 2001 made. yay.

OT: The officer did his job. I'm getting pretty tired of the fact that everything is concidered racist these days. You can't even be a bit rude to a social minority without being concidered racist, while if you'd do the same thing with someone from your own ethnic group, no-one'd notice it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
"ya, I'll speak with your mama outside."

, that is the last sentence I would expect from a Harvard Professor.

There isn't lot of information to go on really. We don't know what the cop said and did (if anything) to provoke him. You'd imagine he must have said something to provoke an outburst like that from a guy who was sober and obviously a well respected professional. Arresting him was clearly not the right decision, as the prosecutions actions in dropping the charge show.

He already said a sentence you would never expect, so you're surprised by his outburst?

The cop had no reason to provoke him, he just wanted to see ID so they could be done and he could get his donuts...
Quote by Chaosinborn
MIIIIIISSSSTTERRR CROOOOOOWWWLLEEY

What whent on in your head?

Did you talk to the dead?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Not really sure on this one. The police report makes it sound like the guy whips out the race card every time he sees a cop, but I think we all know that police reports are hardly the unbiased truth.
This was definately not a racist situation. The officer did what he was trained to do, and reacted for the situation at hand. The part that really pisses me off is that Obama isn't getting any criticism about his grammer usage...."police acted STUPIDLY" Nice words Obama, shows what he can do without a teleprompter.
Quote by JDawg
He already said a sentence you would never expect, so you're surprised by his outburst?

The cop had no reason to provoke him, he just wanted to see ID so they could be done and he could get his donuts...

I count the sentence I wouldn't expect in the outburst that I'm surprised at obviously

It seems very strange (and frankly unlikely) to me that someone like that, a highly educated and successful person, would act in the irrational manner described in the report while sober and unprovoked.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
You know what's sad? The ones walking around accusing people of racism ARE THE RACISTS! If a black man accuses a white man of being racist when he is not, he is doing so BECAUSE THE MAN CONFRONTING HIM IS WHITE! I bet you all money if it was a Hispanic police officer speaking to the man, the racist issue would never have come up.
No, it isn't racist.

It's just complete fucking stupidity.

The bloke calling him a racist is just as much an idiot as well.
Can we kick a disorderly conduct rap?

*umpfh* *tshhh* *umpfh umpfh* *tshhh*

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I count the sentence I wouldn't expect in the outburst that I'm surprised at obviously

It seems very strange (and frankly unlikely) to me that someone like that, a highly educated and successful person, would act in the irrational manner described in the report while sober and unprovoked.

Maybe he felt provoked because Gates IS racist, and the cop is white...
Quote by JDawg
Maybe he felt provoked because Gates IS racist, and the cop is white...

What, so Gates just flies off the handle at any white authority figure if questioned? Doesn't seem like he'd have made it as far as he has if that were the case.
We can speculate about Gate's personality all we want. Maybe the officer reminded him of a childhood bully. Maybe he's completely insane. All we're really doing is committing a fundamental attribution error.
It is quite likely that Crowley may have done something, perhaps inadvertently, to provoke Gates. Been a bit too aggressive (he did think he was going into a break in). Said something that struck a nerve. Intelligent people don't generally act in that manner for no reason.

Quote by darb0114
This was definately not a racist situation. The officer did what he was trained to do, and reacted for the situation at hand. The part that really pisses me off is that Obama isn't getting any criticism about his grammer usage...."police acted STUPIDLY" Nice words Obama, shows what he can do without a teleprompter.

Nothing wrong with his grammar actually.
http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupidly

Your's however is dire.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
What, so Gates just flies off the handle at any white authority figure if questioned? Doesn't seem like he'd have made it as far as he has if that were the case.
We can speculate about Gate's personality all we want. Maybe the officer reminded him of a childhood bully. Maybe he's completely insane. All we're really doing is committing a fundamental attribution error.
It is quite likely that Crowley may have done something, perhaps inadvertently, to provoke Gates. Been a bit too aggressive (he did think he was going into a break in). Said something that struck a nerve. Intelligent people don't generally act in that manner for no reason.

You'd be surprised at the stupid choices intelligent people make sometimes.
Quote by Chaosinborn

What whent on in your head?

My exact thought when I saw the thread title!
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by Soroki
You'd be surprised at the stupid choices intelligent people make sometimes.

"Intelligent people don't generally act in that manner for no reason."

No, I wouldn't.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Maybe he'd just had a shit day at work or a crap journey home or whatever, or was probably just pissed off that he'd had to put his own door through.

I'd react different to situations depending on my mood. I'd usually just laugh something like that off (like when I've been searched before), although if I was riled I'd end up being a bit short with the copper.

I wouldn't completely fly off the handle to the point of getting arrested, mind you.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Your's however is dire.

So someone as intelligent as Mr. Gates, you would think he would have cooperated, and understood the situation a little better? He is a college professor after all.

I had to break into my house once because I locked myself out... I half expected the cops to be called on me... It's what I would want my neighbors to do anyway.
Quote by JDawg
So someone as intelligent as Mr. Gates, you would think he would have cooperated, and understood the situation a little better? He is a college professor after all.

I had to break into my house once because I locked myself out... I half expected the cops to be called on me... It's what I would want my neighbors to do anyway.

I'd want my neighbours to know what I look like

Quote by urbanfox
Maybe he'd just had a shit day at work or a crap journey home or whatever, or was probably just pissed off that he'd had to put his own door through.

I'd react different to situations depending on my mood. I'd usually just laugh something like that off (like when I've been searched before), although if I was riled I'd end up being a bit short with the copper.

I wouldn't completely fly off the handle to the point of getting arrested, mind you.

+1
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Your's however is dire.

Not a whole lot wrong with the grammar. and yes, to your defence, stupidly is a word, but you'd think that someone as "intelligent" as the president could come up with a little better word choice.
Quote by darb0114
Not a whole lot wrong with the grammar. and yes, to your defence, stupidly is a word, but you'd think that someone as "intelligent" as the president could come up with a little better word choice.

Probably, but then he'd be accused of being an elitist or something
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Probably, but then he'd be accused of being an elitist or something

That or the teleprompter again.

Its just depressing knowing that in society nowadawys, its only racist if a white says something to a minority, and NEVER vice versa
Quote by darb0114
That or the teleprompter again.

. Man that's an incredibly pathetic criticism.

Its just depressing knowing that in society nowadawys, its only racist if a white says something to a minority, and NEVER vice versa
This thread alone is evidence of the fact that that's bull****.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I wouldn't say so, seems like he handled the situation very liberally for responding to a break in. It's ignorant to accuse him of being racist for responding to a call, he would have been obligated to respond or someone else would have.

According to the police report he was clearly being uncooperative and he followed the officer out of the house screaming at him despite several warnings of being disorderly. To be honest I don't know why the prosecution dropped the charges against him unless there wasn't a burden of proof against him.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
. Man that's an incredibly pathetic criticism.

This thread alone is evidence of the fact that that's bull****.

What? The thread is about the Officer (white) being a racist about Gates (black).
Quote by darb0114
What? The thread is about the Officer (white) being a racist about Gates (black).

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Gates should have just shown his ID, gotten checked out, and gone into his home when all was said and done. Unless the cop screamed, "Get on the fucking ground, nigger," he was just doing his job. Obviously we don't know the dialog of the situation, but I haven't seen anything that has pointed to overt racism yet.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2