Hey all, I'll start by saying that I have next to no knowledge when it comes to guitar related equiptment, so I'm very sorry for any really dumb questions. I've been playing for about a year and a half and am only recently (now that I am begining to investigate joining some bands) begining to care a whole lot about my sound quality and equiptment quality. I have sortof a whole cast of varying questions and if anyone could give me their 2 cents, I'd really appriciate it.

So I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, run through a digitech RP350 into a Fender Princeton Chorus 115W amp.

My music preference is mostly hard rock with some punk rock and metal aswell - 10 years, breaking benjamin, seether, rise against, disturbed, older nickleback etc.

First off, is my gear really capable of performing the types of music I mentioned? If not, what would I need? They seem to be doing alright to me, but I could just be fooling myself.

Is the Digitech any good for live play, or do I need to start buying individual pedals?

I'm fairly certain that my rhythm/neck pickup (unless I'm mixing this up and sounding really dumb) is not working correcting. For instance, if I'm playing with heavy distortion, it sounds normal with the switch on treble or both, but if I switch to rhythm, it sounds almost like it's clean. If I'm playing with a clean setting, again, the switch on treble and both sounds fine, but if I put it to rhythm, it becomes much quieter and the higher (G, B and E) strings almost dont get picked up at all.

Is my pickup screwed up? If so, could I have done anything for this to happen?

Will I need a new pickup, or can it be repaired? If I need a new pickup, will it matter too much what brand? (I've heard that the amp makes the bigger difference then the pickups)

If I did have to replace the pickups, what brand would be best for me?

I'm assuming I would need to replace the other pickup aswell?

Thanks very much for anyones help.
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
Last edited by Slimjim5792 at Jul 24, 2009,
For you pup, just check all the connections inside of the guitar to each pot and switch, probably a loose connection to the switch.
how far is the neck pickup from the strings?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
for the pup:
1)raise the pupu closer to the strings
2)check connections inside the guitar
3)Is the volume for the neck pup lowered? if so, turn it up
4) if the pup is broken, Id suggest either a Dimarzio PAF pro, or a Seymour Duncan 59 or JB
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
how far is the neck pickup from the strings?

About 1/4 of an inch.

Quote by smartalec007

for the pup:
1)raise the pupu closer to the strings
2)check connections inside the guitar
3)Is the volume for the neck pup lowered? if so, turn it up
4) if the pup is broken, Id suggest either a Dimarzio PAF pro, or a Seymour Duncan 59 or JB

Seems pretty close already, should it be closer then 1/4 of an inch? I'll check the connections. I've tried the volume and tone knobs at all different levels, they dont seem to make any change at all, volume at 10 and at 0 gets me the same volume level, so I think it's completely shot.
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
They make 115 watt Princeton Choruses??????? Since when??? I've never seen one

Anyways, if you're looking at new pups, try dimarzios.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
They make 115 watt Princeton Choruses??????? Since when??? I've never seen one

Anyways, if you're looking at new pups, try dimarzios.

My mistake, upon checking it's 125W.
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Quote by Slimjim5792
About 1/4 of an inch.

Seems pretty close already, should it be closer then 1/4 of an inch? I'll check the connections. I've tried the volume and tone knobs at all different levels, they dont seem to make any change at all, volume at 10 and at 0 gets me the same volume level, so I think it's completely shot.

Probably your switch has gone wrong somewhere. Open up the guitar and see if there's anything that looks loose/out of place.
Looked into the guitar, a wire came detached from the neck volume knob, I soldered it back in place, I dont have any strings to test it with , but I did the screwdriver to the poles test and am getting a result when I wasn't before (I tested it before the soldering). So, all seems to be good, here's to hoping that my otrocious soldering ability will hold the damn thing in place, and didn't screw anything else up in the process. Thanks too all who lent their advice.
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Last edited by Slimjim5792 at Jul 24, 2009,
Could be a bad switch. My PRS did that intermittently on the bridge pickup for awhile. To fix it I just took the switch out, squeezed the contacts together and sprayed it with Windex.