"A non-master volume amp does not have preamp distortion and normally needs to be run at high power levels to achieve an overdrive sound."

Mojave Amps

Does this mean that the preamp tubes do not clip and distort? Or are they just stating that this amp does not have a master volume for gain?

The question: Do the preamp tubes of non-master volume amps clip and distort or is it just the power tubes that clip when you crank the amp?
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Jul 24, 2009,
Here's a good article to help you out
http://www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=808

Short answer is that preamp tubes do distort.
I still don't understand how the power scaling works well enough to explain it, sorry
Last edited by pak1351 at Jul 24, 2009,
You could always have somone build you a loop..

Then throw a EQ or Volume pedal in the loop then you can crank front and regulate the actual volume after the preamps with the EQ or Volume pedal. Allowing the preamp tubes to distort..
The preamp tubes are already running full out (class A), you're just lowering the signal before (a) gain stage(s). Your preamp tubes in a non-master amp run at the same level as one with a gain/master volume control if the control was set wide open.
^ But can I make a non-master amp operate like a master volume amp with a volume pedal in the effects loop?
"teh most gains"
Hmm, this sounds like a very good Idea. But I wonder...

I know you're never supposed to turn on a tube amp with no speaker attached right?
Because the amp is producing power, but the power has nowhere to go, so stuff melts. Or something like that..
So if you put a volume pedal in the effects loop and turned the volume all the way down with that pedal, would that cause any damage to the amp??

Sorry, I'm not an electrician so I just don't know...

Because this sounds like a great idea. Probably the only complaint I have with my Peavey Classic 30 is the lack of a master volume. This would resolve that...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
The power required to drive speakers is added after the loop and preamp sections in the amplifier by the power valves. So no, it cannot harm the power section of the amplifier. All you're doing is cranking up the volume of the input, resulting in a greater signal being sent to the preamp valves causing preamp overdrive. Then the signal (with it's extra gain/nuance) is attenuated down by the volume box/pedal in the effects loop, and sent to the power section, which adds enough power to drive the speakers and the sound, complete with the sound of pushed preamp valves, is output.

Also I mentioned a volume box, that would be better than a volume expression pedal in this situation IMO.

Volume Box
^^^ So instead of using a volume box in the effects loop, if you use a clean boost pedal will it drive the power amp section into super overdrive (along with it being really freakin' loud)?

This is another good Volume Box to stick in your effects loop.
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
Here's a good article to help you out
http://www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=808

Short answer is that preamp tubes do distort.
I still don't understand how the power scaling works well enough to explain it, sorry

nice link
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wanted to say thanks to UG and this thread.

The volumn box in the effects loop was friggin fantastic idea.

I went and built one over the weekend and it works great.
Only costed $10.99 including tax.

I live in an apartment so I am unable to "Crank" my amp.
Thus have been unable to achieve that great fat tube tone.

I know you never can truly get the cranked tube tone without actually cranking it, but this makes a pretty big leap in the right direction.

You can get the PreAmp tubes fully saturated, which is a good portion of that tone, if not most of it. But still cannot get the power tubes and the speaker to add their cranked tone.

Not to mention the actual intended use of it. It works great as a Master Volume to control the overal volume of the amp while keeping both channels at equal volume levels without messing with each channel's individual volume nobs.

But anyway, just wanted to thank this thread and UG for the idea.
Works great.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
I wanted to say thanks to UG and this thread.

The volumn box in the effects loop was friggin fantastic idea.

I went and built one over the weekend and it works great.
Only costed $10.99 including tax.

I live in an apartment so I am unable to "Crank" my amp.
Thus have been unable to achieve that great fat tube tone.

I know you never can truly get the cranked tube tone without actually cranking it, but this makes a pretty big leap in the right direction.

You can get the PreAmp tubes fully saturated, which is a good portion of that tone, if not most of it. But still cannot get the power tubes and the speaker to add their cranked tone.

Not to mention the actual intended use of it. It works great as a Master Volume to control the overal volume of the amp while keeping both channels at equal volume levels without messing with each channel's individual volume nobs.

But anyway, just wanted to thank this thread and UG for the idea.
Works great.