I'm looking for a good distortion pedal around $120.
I need it for shows with my band.
We play punk along the lines of The Sex Pistols.
I have a Fender MiM Strat through a Fender Deluxe 90 DSP, if that matters.

Any suggestions are appreciated and looked into.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure there are probably some people who will disagree with me, but I like the Marshall Jackhammer.

Its probably the best i've used. Especially for my fender amp.
Boss DS-1, DN-2 (if you use humbuckers OR set a drive level really low in the amp), ML-2, a lot of Boss pedals are good for what you need. Try an overdrive pedal with your amp's drive, that's what a lot of people do.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Well the overdrive pedal doesn't give me the distortion I want.
I was thinking of maybe the BOSS Turbo Distortion?
Anyone have experience with them?
MI Audio Crunch Box, brilliant high quality distortion.

EDIT: Well, compared to most other pedals out there. An Ibanez Tube King (new version) or Blackstar tube dist pedal (cant remember exact name) might be worth checking out aswell, I hear good things.

EDIT2: Big Muff Pi & Digitech Hardwire Valve Dist worth a look too.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 24, 2009,
Does your Fender have the "More Drive" feature on the gain channel?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I believe I read somewhere that the sex pistols used a sola sound tone bender (fuzz). I also believe they may have used the proco rat. both are fuzz like. If you want real punk you need a very square fuzz IMO -NOT A DISTORTION (no offence folks - all the pedals recommended are good sounding pedals).
EHX Big Muff Pi (Any of the main 3 will do, honestly)
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by mistermikev
I believe I read somewhere that the sex pistols used a sola sound tone bender (fuzz). I also believe they may have used the proco rat. both are fuzz like. If you want real punk you need a very square fuzz IMO -NOT A DISTORTION (no offence folks - all the pedals recommended are good sounding pedals).

None taken, I somehow missed the part about him playing punk... Go a fuzz. There is an intense number of decent fuzz pedals out there, I'm not very knowledgable in that area so I'll have to hand this to someone else.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Van Noord
Does your Fender have the "More Drive" feature on the gain channel?

Yes...yes it does...but I'll deff. check out some fuzz pedals...I think I have one in mind.
Thanks guys.
Proco Rat.

Quote by CullenT
EHX Big Muff Pi (Any of the main 3 will do, honestly)

Just. No.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jul 24, 2009,
I used to have a ProCo Rat and just was not very happy with the tones I was getting with it.

But I could of just not been as patient as I should of been with that pedal, its supposed to be a great pedal.
Quote by Darkflame
^and why not exactly, what would be wrong with a big muff ?

cause they have many trustworthiness (i'm not sure if I took the correct word from the dictionary) problems.

go on a fuzz like the fuzz factory or a fuzz face. both are good but the fuzz factory is more varied.
The Proco Rat is very good, it bridges the gap between crunchy distortion and fuzz, just what you need I reckon.
Quote by Frets-On-Fire
Yes...yes it does...but I'll deff. check out some fuzz pedals...I think I have one in mind.
Thanks guys.
Unless you're looking for more of a metal tone, I actually got really good gain tones from those Fender amps in the "more drive" mode.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by guitar-tin
cause they have many trustworthiness (i'm not sure if I took the correct word from the dictionary) problems.

go on a fuzz like the fuzz factory or a fuzz face. both are good but the fuzz factory is more varied.

A fuzz factory for playing punk?? It's a good fuzz for doing crazy oscilliation and over-the-top sounds, but I don't think it would handle that fat rythm sound you need for playing punk.
Quote by guitar-tin

Just. No.

Also no. He used an MXR Distortion+, which is what many old punk guitarists used (Johnny Thunders, Mick Jones, and Robert Quine).

You definitely want to go with a vintage MXR Distortion+.
There are tons of distortion pedals out there, you'll need to test a lot/listen to a lot.

MXR Distortion III?
Proco Rat?