Page 1 of 2
I've found myself playing my bass alot more and I realized that I've mever heard anyone talking about restringing their bass.

How often do you guys restring?

Is it hard? It looks a little different from guitar.
Quote by RockAddict311
I've found myself playing my bass alot more and I realized that I've mever heard anyone talking about restringing their bass.

I find my Percission Bass is almost like stringing my Telecaster, I actually find stringing a bass easier because you don't have to worry about the high strings breaking like on the telecaster.My percission bass strings go through the bridge i think? and my telecaster strings through the back, I never replaced my strings on my bass but I really should, I think a bass should be restrung every 2-3 months 6 max.
Well, we don't break strings like guitarists... usually. We change strings whenever they become so dead that we can't stand the tone anymore. Ideally, that's about once every month or two. However, because bass strings are more expensive ($20-30 USD), my last set had to last me 8 months. I'm a poor college student

And I find it easier that changing guitar strings, because I have two less, and the thinnest strings are hardest for me to get right.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Of course you restring a bass...how often depends on how much you play. I change mine about every 6 weeks or so. I've never played guitar, but I'd imagine it is harder to restring bass, especially the E string because the thickness.
Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string
Ibanez GSR200
SWR Goliath II 4x10
Eden 115XL
Carvin B1500 head
A fretless bass you can somewhat get away with longer if you keep the strings clean. A fretted one though, you're looking at about every 3 months at the very most. We don't break strings, at least I don't with .050s, but we play the strings to the point of they're either horrible to play, sound terrible or they're just unplayable. I tend to get to all 3 before even considering restringing, I'm too poor to drop £20 every 4 weeks on strings...
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I change mine almost every 2 months or so. I always imagined it's easier to get away with dead or nearly dead strings on guitar, considering you're using more effects and such. I can't stand the sound of dead strings.
Quote by slaps76
Of course you restring a bass...how often depends on how much you play. I change mine about every 6 weeks or so. I've never played guitar, but I'd imagine it is harder to restring bass, especially the E string because the thickness.

youve never played a guitar?
I change mine every 6-9 months depending on the state of the strings. Since I changed my strings this april, my next restringing is due christmas.
Tho I must criticise the people who think that bass strings don't break. I managed to snap an E string (100 gauge) while playing and a B (135 gauge) while restringing - core snapped at the tuning peg while wounding.
i find it a lot easier to restring my bass than my guitars, the tuners on basses usually have holes in the tuners for the end of the string to go into as opposed to guitars where you have to go through the post, this along with the thickness of the strings allows the bass strings to stay in place while they are being tightened, on a guitar you have to hold the string until there is enough tension for it not to come off.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
6-9 months. I tend to know when it's time to restring. My tone goes to ****. My next restring is due in spring next year. Did it last month.
Quote by nesveikuolis
I change mine every 6-9 months depending on the state of the strings. Since I changed my strings this april, my next restringing is due christmas.
Tho I must criticise the people who think that bass strings don't break. I managed to snap an E string (100 gauge) while playing and a B (135 gauge) while restringing - core snapped at the tuning peg while wounding.

yup, ive broken an E string before. Not sure what gauge though.
Quote by joehhy
yup, ive broken an E string before. Not sure what gauge though.

i broke a low B once while restringing
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
In a perfect world, I would be able to afford to re-string my bass every 2-3 months, as I would like. But if my funds allow it, I usually re string every 5-6 months. I don't tend to snap strings, but I have had the string un-wind while I'm stringing my bass.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
i restring once the strings are dirty/hurt
or when I break a string which has happened to me about 3 or 4 times
Once it was with my thumb which was anchord on the b-string when I was soloing.
for you silly guitarists i mean the low b
beat that bitches
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I actually dislike the sound of strings, as soon as they're fresh on the (bass!) guitar. The sound is alot more metalic, like "twangy" kind of sound.
I haven't changed my string in ~2 years, the last time I changed them when one of them snapped (it was due to a burr in the bridge, since filed ). I'm not really into changing them just for the "tone", I know it disagrees with above posts, but I don't think bass strings 'die' the way guitar strings do, I quite like the sound of old strings. the only time they've "died" on me is when they're about to snap.
although I might take exeption to my 2nd bass I bought recently, i think the strings on it are pretty poor.

also, I think having old strings helps tuning stablily, neck relif etc.

lastly, (to threadstarter) Bassists will also sometimes clean their strings by boiling them in a pan or soaking them in a solvent like methylated spirits to give them a new lease of life.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jul 24, 2009,
I only change them if a string breaks. I love the sound of dead strings and I love that I love them because I don't have to use so much money on strings.
Bass is my life.
Quote by LabradorBassist
I find my Percission Bass is almost like stringing my Telecaster, I actually find stringing a bass easier because you don't have to worry about the high strings breaking like on the telecaster.My percission bass strings go through the bridge i think? and my telecaster strings through the back, I never replaced my strings on my bass but I really should, I think a bass should be restrung every 2-3 months 6 max.

You own a Precision bass, not a Percission bass. Just thought I'd let you know.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I use flats. Don't intend on changing my strings for a good couple of years.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I re-string every year because I take good care of the string I cleaned them every I finish playing and also my favorite kind of string I only find them in USA and I live in Venezuela
I've restrung my bass once since I bought it in February, but I'm thinking of restringing it soon. The only reason I restrung it was because the stock strings weren't very good.
The amount and way I play, should probably change them every month. As it is... 2-3 months.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I change them when I feel like it. There's no real timeframe where I say "this is when I need to change them," unless I break a string. I tend to go on impulse; said impulses tend to come after many months.
I'm with Jim on this. Almost. I do like the sound of new strings, but my favoured DR's can be made to last about 2 years. The current set on the P+ are 21 months old, and about due for another boiling.
The semi-flats on my Ricky copy are into their second decade.
I've never broken a bass string yet, but a mate snapped the E string off his Precision once ( the string whipped him right across his face!), and my daughter's Westone's A string started to unwind itself the night before a music exam. On the whole, guitar strings are 100x more fragile - I've broken my fair share of those.
I don't think it's any harder to restring basses than guitars in general. Floyds and Bigsbys make life difficult on guitars, and the key-slot system on my BTB's monorail bridges can be fiddly. Other than that, it's straightforward. As it should be!
I know when my strings are due, just because I usually spend the same ammount of time playing on a daily basis - 3 hours on average, daily. Also, sweating should be taken in to concideration. I sweat a lot so that also is a factor. But since I'm only a student, and noone wants to give me a part time job that isn't pure slavery, I have to rely on my birthday (march) and christmas money to buy new strings on a regular, bi-anual, basis.
On my Ibby I change them every 6- 8 weeks. On the AccuBass, which is now officially a flatwound monster, every six months or so. Blues and Motown (which I play with that bass) sound better with slightly dead strings.

And yes--its much easier to string a bass than a guitar.
Quote by RockAddict311

I honestly believed that guitar is harder to change strings for the simple fact that there are 2 extra ones.
I last restrung my bass toward the end of May and plan to restring it again in August. My other bass (the $30 one) has had the same strings since December 2007 if I remember right.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
I actualy quite like the tone of dead strings

but i spose i get new strings every six months coz im poor, but i hear boiling them brings back the tone a little for a while.
Gear
Squier Standard Special P-Bass (Modding it)
Squier Affinity series P-Bass
Ashdown After Eight

Whishlist
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders (P/J Set)
Kahler Bass Tremolo Bridge
Ashdown Mag 300 Head EVOIII
Ashdown Mag 410T Bass Cab
Quote by creepingjesus73
( the string whipped him right across his face!)

That happened me once when I was putting a set of (old) strings on a guitar.
I had a line across my face for a few days, which was fun to explain.

Quote by primusfan
i play flatwounds. what is this ... "changing strings" business?

I lolled.
i restring mines bout every 2months just done it today for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.
i havnt changed my strings in almost a year... they still sound fine but that could be my bass. i kinda dont have any money but my double bass fund has crippled me but i can finally get a job now.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I change My Strings every two months. I'll only do it more than that for recording, in which case i do it 3 days before i enter the studio. I find three days and the strings aren't harshly bright anymore (well, thats what i find for stadium elites, never used anything else).

eh, i find the thinnest E string on guitar the most difficult to restring
Page 1 of 2