can someone suggest some song structures used in death metal. im trying to write something sort of like Suffocation or Morbid Angel. i have some riffs i wrote that are in the same key and should fit together. my problem is that when i try to write a song its either too repetetive or it just sounds like its a bunch of riffs and solos thrown together with no structure at all. i know that there are a bunch of different types of song structures, especially for metal, but whenever im listening to even the most technical stuff it still flows.
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Step 1. Listen to songs you think have good structure or "flow".
Step 2. Find out why they sound that way by analyzing them.
Step 3. Do that and report back here with your results.
Quote by Silence&Requiem
song structures used in death metal.

I lol'd.

but, yeah, for death metal...crank up as much distortion as possible, and scream while almost eating the microphone
i think ts something like this

intro
verse
chorus
intro riff
verse
chorus
solo
chorus
outro
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by Mainer
I lol'd.

but, yeah, for death metal...crank up as much distortion as possible, and scream while almost eating the microphone

What does this have to do with song structure?
Try to use a recurring element or theme in all of your riffs: a few chords or notes or phrasing or rhythm. If the riffs are all completely different it will sound random and incoherent. Try having parts of songs (or riffs) evolve into each other instead of completely changing direction. Having them in the same key will help but there's a lot more that goes into making a song cohesive than that. Actually, a lot of death and thrash is based on chromatics.
What helps me with song structure in general is to think of a vocal that would be sung on top of the guitar. It helps me to remember to go back to the verse or chorus.
Quote by Abacus11
Try to use a recurring element or theme in all of your riffs: a few chords or notes or phrasing or rhythm. If the riffs are all completely different it will sound random and incoherent. Try having parts of songs (or riffs) evolve into each other instead of completely changing direction. Having them in the same key will help but there's a lot more that goes into making a song cohesive than that. Actually, a lot of death and thrash is based on chromatics.

i think i know what you mean. ive got three riffs that all use chromatics and they seem to work together the best, but with those three it gets repetetive. then when i try to come up with a new riff for something like a chorus its an abrupt change and sounds like its too complex
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Quote by Silence&Requiem
that was cool. and there wasnt much of a structure but it still flowed.

exactly.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
It has to do with how much "tension" a riff has. If you have a riff that is fast with really awkward drums playing a polymeter or something crazy and the bass is all over the place you would probably have some real tension, if you get what I'm saying. A riff with a lot of tension is best followed by a riff with very little tension, such as a breakdown (not necessarily a hardcore breakdown). And after the breakdown, you might choose to follow it with a riff with some more tension, then another riff with more, and then more, and then the breakdown again, or something like that. Obviously you want to get creative, but the basic rule to follow is very similar to that of writing a plot for a story -- when you reach the point of the most tension (the climax) your best choice is to follow it with the point of the least or just very little tension (the resolution). Actually, if you were to graph the rise and fall of tension in a great death metal song, it would probably look very similar to a graph of a rise and fall of tension in a great novel.

The tension I'm referring has very little to do with tension created with dissonance. That kind of tension is resolved within a riff or progression by the tonic. The kind of tension I'm referring to has a lot to do with the way all of the instruments interact rhythmically and is resolved between riffs.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Thinking outside the box here: Listen to some damn death metal.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^Exactly...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Step 1. Listen to songs you think have good structure or "flow".
Step 2. Find out why they sound that way by analyzing them.
Step 3. Do that and report back here with your results.

Again...^^^
alright i think i got something i like

chorus
verse
chorus
verse
verse
bridge 1
chorus
drum solo
bridge 2
guitar solo
verse
bridge 1 (or maybe write a third bridge)
chorus

???

and yea i came up with this after listening to some stuff

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Well, theres a few kind of DM structures. Bands like MA like to do a structure similar to a common Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Solo-Outro. But alot of times they add another bridge or solo inbetween the transition from chorus to verse.

Also, for some odd, but interesting arrangements, check out Atheist - Unquestionable Presence and the king of odd, yet good DM arrangements IMO, At The Gates - The Red in The Sky Is Ours.
There's so much death metal out there (not that it matters actually) that it would be silly to try and say 'THIS IS DEATH METAL SONG STRUCTURE'...especially in the verse/chorus/bridge/whatever sense that you seem to be concerned with.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Would need to hear what you have written. Song structure in death metal is such a mixed up issue. Arsis use traditional verse chorus verse structure, but say, Ulcerate are more appropriately referred to as through-composed.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Thinking outside the box here: Listen to some damn death metal.

seriously, i've noticed that there are the generic song structures (intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus x4 out) but you can structure a song however you want. i'd just suggest doing some research into structure and arrangement and then pick what works best for you.