Heh, so I'm not quite sure where this question belongs, but I have blisters on all the tips of my fingers and it's my second day playing... which means I can't really play anymore at the moment because they hurt so much.

What do I do, how long will callouses take to form, etc?

Basically, how do I work around this problem?

Cheers,
Lizz xx
Put up with the pain and if you keep playing regularly you'll be fine in a week or two
Haha, that's what I figured, I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong or should be doing something else. Thank you!
there are two possibilities to this

1. calouses take a few months to form, and if you stop playing for a long period of time, they may go away.

2. if the blisters are that bad you may be alergic to nickel, if this is the case you can talk to your doctor and if you are alergic certain brands make stainless steel strings that you could use
Quote by tukk04
there are two possibilities to this

1. calouses take a few months to form

No way man not if you play a ****load
Quote by matt_0_5
No way man not if you play a ****load

it varies, i was playing for a month before calouses started and i played every day after school
Quote by tukk04
it varies, i was playing for a month before calouses started and i played every day after school

Fair enough, i spose it's different for different people.
I never really got blisters that bad, i mean sure my fingers hurt and they felt like they were going to blister but never really did. I think the only thing you really have to work toward is sliding, and that just comes with time.

Some guitar players put superglue on thier fingertips and let it dry before playing, and beleive it or not this really does help - until you build you calosuses.
Eventually your body will adapt to your lifestyle of playing guitar. If they really really hurt, just take a break! A day off is sometimes very good when you're learning a skill like the guitar. It gives your brain some time to form all of those new neural connections it's been building as you learn. You might pick up the guitar a day later and find you're better off than when you put it down (has happened to me quite a bit).
Thank you guys so much! I'm enjoying this forum. I haven't the money to pay for proper lessons, but I'm confident that this site is the place to help me learn. Thanks for all your advice, everyone! xx
Quote by yinoftheyang
Thank you guys so much! I'm enjoying this forum. I haven't the money to pay for proper lessons, but I'm confident that this site is the place to help me learn. Thanks for all your advice, everyone! xx

true... the stickies and people on this site have so much to offer.
I specifically remember it taking 2 weeks for my fingers to stop hurting after I started playing. But I played like a mad man cus I just bought a sweet guitar, it was summer, and I had nothing better to do so I played like 6 hours a day or more.

oh and it looks like you're trying to learn off this site. I recommend using youtube for lessons cus some of the tabs on here are wrong, but you wouldn't know it until you try them, and as a beginner it is a waste of time to work on playing a wrong tab. at least on youtube you can hear if it is right or wrong and sometimes the original artist will give a lesson on his own song. most 5 star vids on there are spot on.
Last edited by royalewcheese35 at Jul 25, 2009,
I've never had actual blisters. The skin on my fingers is constantly chewed away and hard as a rock underneath..... but not blisters.

Stick with it, you won't even notice after a while.

BTW..... I agree 100% with whoever said to use youtube for lessons. I wish I'd had that rescource when I first started playing.
To answer my own question for anyone who was wondering-- It's been about 6 days and I already have callouses. Then again, I practice 4+ hours a day. Haha!

Obsessive much?

xx