Hey i was wondering how cobain got his lead tone on songs like Smells like teen spirit, In Bloom, etc...His tone just seems to kinda melt and sustain...same with frusciante in dani california at about 1:20 into the song. Is there some kinda of modulation pedal they are using??

Right now i am plugging my strat (neck pup)>wah>big muff w/ tone wicker>YCV50blue and i have my small clone chorus in the effects loop and everytime i have the big muff engaged along with the chorus it just gets really muffled and bassy.....?!?!?.....do those pedals just not work well together??

I am thinking about trading in my small clone for a boss ds-2 cuz my small clone sounds cool when im playing on a clean tone but not with my big muff. Any thoughts?

Off topic i am gonna grab a laptop next week for college. price range around 800-1000 USD. Would a Mac book be good for recording cuz of garage band software or should i look for a different brand or laptop and recording software?
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
^Garageband really does suck if you want to master. Get a PC with Cubase and a good mic (Shure SM57) for recording. Macs get a lot of untrue hype, especially about recording.

On topic, chorus sounds fine with my big muff

But the whole sustain Cobain/Frusciante thing, it works alot better with amp distortion, and I like it with chorus in front of the amp. Again, just one of my quirks.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Jul 24, 2009,
Cobain used the Muff on just one song. His main setup was a DS-2 -> Chorus, so I'd keep the chorus and save up for the DS-2. As for his sustaining leads, I think playing loud as hell facing the amp for feedback is a factor. Make sure the chorus is after any distortion pedals.

Quote by CullenT
Macs get a lot of untrue hype, especially about recording.

Yeah, I've crashed OS X on various Macs at least 12 times working with audio in Pro Tools.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Jul 24, 2009,
vibrato is also important for that sound.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by CullenT
^Garageband really does suck if you want to master. Get a PC with Cubase and a good mic (Shure SM57) for recording. Macs get a lot of untrue hype, especially about recording.

On topic, chorus sounds fine with my big muff

But the whole sustain Cobain/Frusciante thing, it works alot better with amp distortion, and I like it with chorus in front of the amp. Again, just one of my quirks.

It's because Garageband is a stock application, so of course it won't be perfected for mastering and recording.

Using a specific recording application like Logic is much better than garageband and imo cubase.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Try placing your Muff on a different place in the chain....

And as far as recording goes.... I'd go for PC because the software that can be used on it varies a lot more...

And for a Macbook you have to pay an awful lot of money considering the specs your having..
If you want a good recording macbook, you'll have to pay around 3000US
Cobain lead on SLTS?
Frusciante at 1:20 on Dani California?

What you need is a
Ring Modulator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulation

eg;
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Moog-MoogerFooger-Ring-Modulator-MF-102/92F
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
wow i feel like an idiot haha i didnt even think of moving them around in my chain, i just assumed modulation effects go in the FX loop. Well its really late at night where i live to be playing guitar.

In what order would you recommend to put my pedals in?.... Guitar>Wah>Big Muff>Small clone>YCV50blue? btw thanks for the computer help
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
That sounds good. The Muff will get you a Lithium tone, for the Teen Spirit sound you're gonna need a DS-2. Also, Kurt used a Fender Jaguar or Mustang (can't remember which exactly it was although he played both guitars) with a DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker in the bridge - might wanna look at putting one of them in your LP.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Jul 25, 2009,
It's not a pedal. It's just the feedback from the volume of the amp and the distortion.
as far as computers i would recomend a sony vaio fw, its a really well built laptop with good specs.
Quote by Chuckleberry
wow i feel like an idiot haha i didnt even think of moving them around in my chain, i just assumed modulation effects go in the FX loop. Well its really late at night where i live to be playing guitar.

In what order would you recommend to put my pedals in?.... Guitar>Wah>Big Muff>Small clone>YCV50blue? btw thanks for the computer help

If it produces bad sound when you have it at the end of the chain... set it in front.... and vice versa, Just try a couple of stuff... But I recommend keeping the Wah as first.
yeah i tried it out earlier today and it works like a charm. Some pretty cool tones i can get out of that thing. Thanks again
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah