Hey UG,

I just got a Randall RM80 Combo with the Ultra Lead, Clean, Blackface, and 1087 modules. I'm still trying to dial in the right tone, but i've noticed some areas that could use some improvement. The 1087 is my favorite for metal, but the bass end can get a little out of control. I was thinking of either getting an OD or making it a closed back combo. I may try both. The Clean is my only clean module now b/c the blackface needs new tubes; the Clean is great, but has a little too much gain. I think i'm going to try to switch the R1 resistor with a 150 ohm. But i also think it could use a compressor b/c some notes don't come out enough, and some come out too much. I also need some more sustain (but that could just be b/c i can't crank the volume that high). The ultra lead isn't working for me; i think i'm going to have Pete Turely do the Mesa Mark mod to it, once i get the money.

For now, i just need recommendation for OD and Compressors. I have several in mind:

OD:

Maxon ROD880

Maxon VOP9

Maxon TOD9

Maxon OD808

Ibanez TS9

Compressors:

Maxon RCP660

Maxon CP9 Pro +

Maxon CP101

Seymour Duncan SFX-09

Boss CS-3

MXR M132

I am strongly considering the Maxon ROD880 and RCP660; anyone have any experience with either pedal?? Are they any good?? Would they be a good pair with my amp??

My current rig is:

Guitar: Jackson King V with EMG 60/81
Pedals: ISP Decimator (will sell soon to get ISP Decimator G-String) and Dunlop Wah
Amp: Randall RM80

Budget: ~$550 (give or take)

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 24, 2009,
Maybe you should just get an EQ pedal, like the MXR 10-Band?

Overdrive, however, maybe a Fulltone OCD?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
Maybe you should just get an EQ pedal, like the MXR 10-Band?

Overdrive, however, maybe a Fulltone OCD?

I was thinking about getting that EQ, but i'm not sure yet. I was thinking of three different combinations:

ROD880 and ISP
RCP660 and ROD880
ROD880, MXR, and ISP (if i have the money)
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Get an ISP G-String and run it in an X-Pattern (can't remember exactly how to wire it, but it uses both the effects loop of the noise suppressor and the amps effects loop)
Quote by Goldenglove
Get an ISP G-String and run it in an X-Pattern (can't remember exactly how to wire it, but it uses both the effects loop of the noise suppressor and the amps effects loop)

So i can run my guitar into it and run it through the fx loop at the same time??

Edit: so do i run the guitar to the "guitar in" and then run a cable from the "guitar out" to the amp? then i can run it through the fx loop with the "dec in and out?" Can i run the OD and compressor through the loop as well by using this setup??? That would be perfect! I will have to sell my current ISP to get this one.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 24, 2009,
wait is your budget $550 just for a pedal? you can get the nicest pedal ever for that price ha
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
wait is your budget $550 just for a pedal? you can get the nicest pedal ever for that price ha

well i don't have the money currently, put i speculate to collect that much. I'm trying (and failing) to sell a clarinet for $800, which i will split with my parents, giving me $400. Then i am trying to sell my old Line 6 Spider for $250, which i will use $150 of to pay back my grandmother for getting me the blackface module and the RF1 footswitch. In the end, i should have about $550, and i am trying to find a few pedals to get that will complement my amp.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Has anyone has any experience with the Maxon ROD880 or RCP660??
--Einstein

--Einstein
Analogman makes good compressors, particularly their Bicomp and CompROSSor models (the former has quite a long wait on them though)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Homebrew CPR compressor is the best one i've tried to date. Beats the barber shop
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks