ive read a couple of post where people say more speakers doesnt mean more volume, so does a 120watt combo get louder than a 100 or 50 watt halfstack?
It all depends on the amp itself. And doubling the number of speakers adds 3db of volume, which is noticeable but not really that big of a difference.
Wattage and adding speakers can add a marginal gain. But thats if everything lines up in your favor.

And most prefer halfstack because of there tone and bass response not because there louder. Also due to most combos being an open back..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
More Speakers push more air. There are lots of other variables that come into perceived volume so it is all RELATIVE. No solid one answer here.

Which is why it's easier to say 'no there isn't' and stop the persistent myth that makes 14 years old buy Marshall MG halfstacks...
Louder is not always better. 4 12's will have a much fuller and richer sound than 2 12's, no matter how good of a combo it is. My friend's Ampeg SVT Pro4, which is a 1,200W bass amp, isn't much louder than his Hartke 3500, which is 350W. But they are a world of difference in everything else.
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
More Speakers push more air. There are lots of other variables that come into perceived volume so it is all RELATIVE. No solid one answer here.
+1

Quote by kyle62
Which is why it's easier to say 'no there isn't' and stop the persistent myth that makes 14 years old buy Marshall MG halfstacks...
No. I don't think that you should say that. Just because it may stop youths buying MG stacks, it doesn't mean it's right. I don't want to lie to somebody just to stop them from buying something they may regret.
I've actually noticed, personally, that the majority of people who own MG's and Spiders are quite happy. If they are happy, let the baby have the bottle, so to speak.

The best thing to do is to explain that louder isn't always better, which is what an MG full-stack will be...

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Louder is not always better. 4 12's will have a much fuller and richer sound than 2 12's, no matter how good of a combo it is. My friend's Ampeg SVT Pro4, which is a 1,200W bass amp, isn't much louder than his Hartke 3500, which is 350W. But they are a world of difference in everything else.
Having a 2x12 will mean you will most likely need to crank it louder to have the same amount of relative volume in a gig or jamming situation. On the other hand, 4x12's will mean you have that fuller, more epic sound.
So in affect, it's about what the situation or circumstances require. Relativity, as mentioned.
half stack more bass frequencies. for me guitar works best pushing the mids in a band situation bass is not required at all. rehersals can help having a half stack to hear yourself sometimes.
o because im still having trouble deciding between halfstack and combo but i like the halfstack because i can always change heads and stuff liek that
Quote by mechanix901
o because im still having trouble deciding between halfstack and combo but i like the halfstack because i can always change heads and stuff liek that

Then whats to decide........
yar yar but the other "This" does everything i want but the other other "this" does more than i want. haha do you get it?
Quote by mechanix901
yar yar but the other "This" does everything i want but the other other "this" does more than i want. haha do you get it?

No because if you cant afford that why does it matter what it can and cant do for you. Thats a bridge you cross when you have the cash.
Quote by mechanix901
$$$ breh
The way I see it is if you need an amp sharpish and don't have the cash to get exactly what you want, compromise may be necessary. But don't if there is no rush. If you are spending that much money, you may as well get the best; the one that's perfect for you.
yes yes but getting the cash isnt hard, its just how long it takes to get the cash
Quote by i_am_metalhead
It all depends on the amp itself. And doubling the number of speakers adds 3db of volume, which is noticeable but not really that big of a difference.

NO!.

Doubling the number of AMPS gives a 3dB increase.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Jul 24, 2009,
That's what I mean, mate; if the perfect amp costs said much, why not wait for it?
But as I mentioned, if you cannot, and are under a tight time-frame, compromise.
You still don't get it.

There are cheaper 'less loud' halfstacks that you can get into now just like there are expensive 'very loud' combos. It's all relative.

Edit: Bad example as PRICE and VOLUME are NOT related. Just trying to make a point.

If you WANT to be able to switch heads down the road then identify a Budget, look at new and used amp heads, and maybe consider a 2x12 speaker encloser for now. That would save cash, be more portable, and fit both bedroom and band situations.

But like IbanezPsycho said, if you are set on a halfstack and don't have the money for the halfstack that you want, well then you have to wait and save up.

so.........

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Current Gear?
Closest City?

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 24, 2009,
May i ask the TS what two amps he is deciding between?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You still don't get it.

There are cheaper 'less loud' halfstacks that you can get into now just like there are expensive 'very loud' combos. It's all relative. If you WANT to be able to switch heads down the road then identify a Budget, look at new and used amp heads, and maybe consider a 2x12 speaker encloser for now. That would save cash, be more portable, and fit both bedroom and band situations.

But like IbanezPsycho said, if you are set on a halfstack and don't have the money for the halfstack that you want, well then you have to wait and save up.

so.........

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Current Gear?
Closest City?

lets see
budget bout 1000
mastadon LOG kinda tones is what i love
idc if its new or used
home and gig but i got a spider valve 212 for practice if w/e suggest is too loud for home.
ibanez SZR720
Memphis, TN
Quote by mechanix901
lets see
budget bout 1000
idc if its new or used
home and gig but i got a spider valve 212 for practice if w/e suggest is too loud for home.
ibanez SZR720
Memphis, TN

Tiny Terror/Peavey Windsor??/2nd hand JCM 8000 1/4 stack + OD pedal
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by mechanix901
lets see
budget bout 1000
idc if its new or used
ibanez SZR720
Memphis, TN

Used Peavey Ultra or Triple with a Used Mesa Cab.. Will fit your needs perfectly and its all pro gear..
stuff

Peavey Windsor head $200 (not sure on your genre probably not)
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1282336811.html

There is also a head/cab on there for $450 but you can get the whole halfstack new for $400 right now. I don't think it is the amp for you but you can sure try it.

Peavey Valveking 212 combo $300 (you can do better)
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1274726396.html

Peavey 5150 combo $550 (I'd do this for now and keep saving)
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1272651490.html

Peavey Classic 30 on there

Marshall JCM2000 with 1960 4x12 $1100 (do that)
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1268871437.html

Rivera Knucklehead 55w head $600 (maybe someone knows more)
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1265681569.html

Marshall JCM800 2204 head $850
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1265627670.html

Randall RG50TC combo $375 (you can do better)
http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/1262076005.html

OK, so not all of these are perfect for you. I was mainly just trying to make a point. Notice how I put combos and stacks in here? Sometimes you go with flow and keep saving. There was Mesa combo on there I would kill to have and would stand up fine in a live situation. Most amps are mik'ed anyway.

New - look at the Peavey 3120, Bugera's maybe, and others. Happy Hunting.