Page 1 of 3
Does being overweight make a comedian or actor seem more humorous?

Added bonus: Does being physically attractive (no comment on weight, just overall appearance) help?

Explanation along with the opinion is appreciated
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

not for me
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Yes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well if a comedian decides to use their appearance/weight to benefit their routine, then yes.

If not, it depends?

Chris Farely as the Chippendale's dancer.
Yes.

EDIT: Chris Farely wasn't only funny because he was fat. He was a great comedian. It helped, though.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Last edited by YourDad at Jul 24, 2009,
Depends what their behaviour's like. People like James Corden come across as obnoxious to me.
no, fat people aren't funny they are just sore on the eyes
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Well, if you're female and attractive, I don't care if you're funny or not. I'll laugh at your jokes.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Funny people are funny regardless of their weight. Mitch Hedburg is hilarious and he wasn't fat and at the same time I think Gabriel Iglesias is really funny and he happens to be fat.
Yes.
Zack Galifiniakis
John Pinette.

I find John Pinette hilarious because of the jokes he makes regarding his weight.
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Last edited by sam_brault at Jul 24, 2009,
Having a noticeable feature, like a big nose or something, gives a comedian something to joke about, as does being fat. Fat people are also known for being "jolly" and easier to get along with. That might help too.
Yes, Dane Cook, while being "good looking", is an absolute fail comedian.

Chris Farley: fat and win.
I am the meek.

And I shall inherit the earth.
well if a big muscle bound guy started telling jokes, you would feel obligated to laugh in case he knocked you face in
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Fat people - based on social presumptions - tend to develop a hard shell, which correlates to sarcasm and the ability to poke at society :P Infact looking ugly or being overweight doesn't really lend itself to being funny, it all depends on the person, and how they take the world on
Quote by DieGarbageMan
people are more receptive to attractive people

This is very true. Nobody is above this truth.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by ctb
Depends what their behaviour's like. People like James Corden come across as obnoxious to me.

His bit for Comic Relief where he spoke to the England team was good though.

Aside form that sketch though, I agree. He's not that funny.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Me so funny.

...y'know you may all go suck a dong, guys?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by dgme92
His bit for Comic Relief where he spoke to the England team was good though.

Aside form that sketch though, I agree. He's not that funny.
I did laugh at that one.
I cant name any fat comedians who i find funny... Unless Jack Dee has put on weight?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by snowbert
fat midgets with pointy ears are always funny

You sound classy.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

depends.. some fat people you have to laugh at..

but most fat people seem to emit a jolly feeling.. this means that you immediately like them, and you are more likely to find them funny..

now to attractive people: attractive males usually emit a slight air of douchbaggery and therefore become a bit unfunny, unless they genuinely are funny, then I will laugh..

attractive females may not be funny, but because a lot of men are desperate, they will lul them into thinking they are funny.. when they're not. But for me, if an attractive girl is funny, I'll laugh, if she isn't, I'll ridicule her in a humorous way..

I myself think I can be funny at times, and one of the best feelings I get is making people laugh, but It's not something that can be learnt imo.. I think you either have a certain comical charm or not.. some more so than others, but I think if you're born unfunny, you remain unfunny..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

^Hell yea!!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ctb
I did laugh at that one.

David James... You're England's number one. You're at the top of your game!

*James nods arrogantly*

Wanna know why?

COS YOU'VE STOPPED DICKING ROUND WITH YOUR HAIR!

I laughed so hard at that.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
If one finds being fat as unnattractive... does it hurt the guy?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

wayne rooney is funny he just looks like a big retarded gorilla. he should go on the comedy circuit.
In my opinion, appearance doesn't matter too much; as stated before, being fat is something you can make jokes about (although James Corden does indeed come off as obnoxious). On the other hand, if a person looks completely "normal", there are plenty of other things to joke about

As for me, I'm on the large side and have no problem making people laugh, but I'm not particularly jolly - my style is more dry wit/blatant innuendo, depending on my mood
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
It depends on the type of comedy, I think. Physical humor is almost always funnier when fat people do it, and overweight comedians also are great in skits/situations that don't really make sense for them (the aforementioned Chris Farley in Chippendale sketch, for example).

In addition, lots of stand-up relies on self-deprecating humor, or making fun of certain groups. In these cases, fat people can use their weight to their advantage. In the way that people like Chris Rock, Russell Peters, and others derive a good deal of their humor from groups they belong to (as a side note, how on earth does an Indian person acquire the name Russell Peters?), fat people can make a lot of fat people jokes. In the same way a white person making a black people joke would appear more racist than funny, a skinny person making a fat person joke could appear insensitive.

That is not to say that fat people have any more intrinsic humor skills than skinny people, though. They could have honed it in some cases by finding it was something that made people like them, while other people wouldn't do so if they were physically attractive or good at sports or whatever. But all in all, you're going to find funny and unfunny people in every weight group.

As for the bonus, I can't really think of any comedians who are particularly attractive, except maybe Russell Brand, and he's just full of awesome.
kill all humans
You silly boy, we don't laugh at their jokes. We laugh at them, because we are better then them. They are fat haahaha

true story
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
It allows them to start punch lines with "Well when you look like me ..." though in a way it makes them more realistic and human if they have a bit of chubb. If you look at someone like Michael McIntyre or Dara O'Briain or David Mitchell, they used to be quite chubby and they're hilarious. Then there are people like Phil Jupitus who are full on fat and also hilarious. Comedy is just one of those things where not being amazing looking can actually be an advantage, or it can be completely irrelavent. It allows you to judge a person on something other than their appearance, so i'd say there isn't a correlation.

It also implies that they spend more time working on jokes than they do exercising. Which is good for a comedian.
Last edited by aaciseric at Jul 24, 2009,
nay. You can use it to make jokes about yourself, but it doesnt make you seem more funny.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I dont know if theres a correlation between being fat and funny, but there is a realtion between being fat and dying early.
Page 1 of 3