So I'm shopping around for a new acoustic. Should have around 1300ish, might be able to get a little more. Either way, I'm having a hard time figuring whether or not I need built in electronics. I WILL be gigging with this guitar. However, it seems as if you buy a lot more for built in electronics. Is it worth it to install your own aftermarket stuff? How difficult is this to do? (I don't want some $45 pop in the soundhole pickup, I want something that sounds good) How invasive of the body is installing a pickup? Is all I need a pickup, or do I need a pre-amp too?

Anyways any insight or recommendations of pickups would be great.
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
you're better off getting a decent electro accoustic you have a good enough budget to get a seriously good one, i can't see the point of putting an aftermarket one in when you can afford a decent guitar that comes with a good pickup
I would either get one with electronics or just use a soundhole pickup if need be later on. I have an Epiphone Masterbilt that sounds magical but alot of the electro/acoustic versions just don't have that sparkle to my ears. I bought an L.R. Baggs Active M1 for gigging which is a high quality soundhole pickup that doesn't damage the guitar in any way, pickps up all of the body sounds including taps and such (which is important to me), and can be removed when I just want to hear the beauty of it acoustically (or when the guitar can be properly mic'd).
I'm using an LR Baggs M1 Active soundhole pickup as well and can attest to it's great sound and ease of use.

I think the choice is really yours. If you do decide to go the aftermarket route, just be sure to allot about $200-$350 for the actual pickup and preamp system and then another $75-$100 for the installation. There are lots of different systems to choose from.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
alright thanks for the replies guys. i didn't realize it was gonna add $350 to the cost of the guitar. Now I'm even more confused as to what to get lol
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
Get a guitar that costs about $800 and then buy the electronics and install.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Get a nice acoustic you like and put a K&K pure western mini in it. You can put it in yourself if you don't mind drilling the jack hole. You can find one for about 80 bucks and then get a nice preamp, K&K sells one as well. Good luck on the search